Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

40° or 20° HG UQ?

I am interested in purchasing an underquilt from the fine folks at hammock gear. I have had a wonderful experience with the Summer Burrow Wide with +1 oz of down I ordered from them last spring. I am now in the market for an underquilt that will be a good match for this TQ and also for my style of backpacking/camping. I attempt to do my best to keep pack weight at a min while still keeping comfortable. I have a base weight right now with my BA Insulated air core pad of about 15 lbs for summer. I am looking for an underquilt that i can use summer and into the Michigan 3-season if possible. My thoughts are that if I purchase a summer underquilt I will save weight and will have a good matched set with my TQ. My other thought is that if I want to stretch the system into colder temps I could get a 3 season underquilt at a slight weight penalty and have the warmth when needed and vent it when the warmth isn't needed. The other thought is that if I supplement my TQ with say a insulated jacket my underside will still remain cold because the insulation in my clothing will be compressed by the hammock. Because of this a 3 season Underquilt and a summer top quilt would be the lightest solution for 3 season use.

Mainly I'm wondering what option would be the best. I know that loft for loft I should be good down the the same temps if I get a matching summer set. Is that in fact an accurate assessment, or have you noticed other factors involved? (ie. Heat lose due to wind in the UQ or things of that nature)

Is my reasoning sound that if I purchase a 3 season UQ and wear more clothing my Summer TQ will be stretched to match my 3 Season UQ's 20° rating?

Thanks,
    Packeagle

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Packeagle, I've hammocked in central Ontario mostly, so about the same weather as Michigan. I've got a Summer Burrow 900fill and a Summer Incubator 900fill, no overstuff, that I bought last year.

At temperatures at the limit of the summer quilts, (in the mid-30s F or 2-5 C) I found the Burrow was toasty, and the Incubator insufficient, I believe due to wind (and possibly my incompetence at "dialing it in").

So i have a feeling that a beefy underquilt is more important than a beefy topquilt. Just my two cents. I'll let folks with more experience weigh in now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It all depends how you sleep. I sleep on the warm side and have taken my summer Phoenix down to 30 comfortably.

I took my 3 season Phoenix down to -5*. It was a bit chilly in the night when I had a cold spot but it wasn't unbearable. I also took my down jacket off in e middle of the nig and stuffed it between my hammock and uq for extra insulation and that seemed to do the trick... I don't think it compressed the down as much. YMMV

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I am interested in purchasing an underquilt from the fine folks at hammock gear. I have had a wonderful experience with the Summer Burrow Wide with +1 oz of down I ordered from them last spring. I am now in the market for an underquilt that will be a good match for this TQ and also for my style of backpacking/camping. I attempt to do my best to keep pack weight at a min while still keeping comfortable. I have a base weight right now with my BA Insulated air core pad of about 15 lbs for summer. I am looking for an underquilt that i can use summer and into the Michigan 3-season if possible. My thoughts are that if I purchase a summer underquilt I will save weight and will have a good matched set with my TQ. My other thought is that if I want to stretch the system into colder temps I could get a 3 season underquilt at a slight weight penalty and have the warmth when needed and vent it when the warmth isn't needed. The other thought is that if I supplement my TQ with say a insulated jacket my underside will still remain cold because the insulation in my clothing will be compressed by the hammock. Because of this a 3 season Underquilt and a summer top quilt would be the lightest solution for 3 season use.

Mainly I'm wondering what option would be the best. I know that loft for loft I should be good down the the same temps if I get a matching summer set. Is that in fact an accurate assessment, or have you noticed other factors involved? (ie. Heat lose due to wind in the UQ or things of that nature)

Is my reasoning sound that if I purchase a 3 season UQ and wear more clothing my Summer TQ will be stretched to match my 3 Season UQ's 20° rating?

Thanks,
    Packeagle
    Hi Packeagle,
    With the desire to keep my quilts as light as possible for backpacking 3S in Colorado.

I decided on a summer phoenix over stuffed instead of going 3S.
    Less nylon more down. I would recommend 2-3oz over stuffed.
    When I'm expecting evening temps between 30-40F with possible wind.
    I carry a 2QZQ breathable UQ protector which really does a good job of blocking the wind.
    I use an REI blowup sit pad for my legs and feet that is stuffed in the TQ.
    I sleep in Cabelas silk long underwear, wool socks, wool glove liners, stocking cap and light down jacket. All which can be worn around camp and when hiking(duel purpose)
    This has been very comfortable down to 30F. My pack weight 3S is 18# (not counting food or water)

hth

My thought is a UQP is a WONDERFUL addition to any set-up, in my experience it boosts the rating of a UQ by at least 5*! Reason is that it protects the loft of the UQ from wind and radiating warmth coming back from the UQ, also it provides an extra barrier (splash guard) to help protect you and your downy goodness from the elements!

As for the temps in your area, many have the thought (including me) that it's whats under you that is ever so slightly more important! With that said you could very well get an overstuffed Summer UQ and have the rating closer to 32*, or you could go with the 20* and vent when overheated!?!? It's all a personal choice and how far you are wanting (willing) to push your gear!

FWIW I have taken my Summer set from Stormcrow WELL below it's rating, mine has no overstuff, although sometimes I wish it did so I could push it even farther into Fall!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I figured my top quilt could get to 35 easy. I think I'll go with a 20° Phoenix or Incubator. If I decide to keep hammock camping (still comfort issues).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phx & Burw 20*F
    Suspension
    Webbing, Dutch CRL
    I'm struggling with this too. I just ordered a WBBB 1.1 DBL (my first hammock)

I'm planning to get the Hammock Gear Phoenix & Burrow - just don't know which weight to get 20*F or 40*F

90% of my camping will be between May 24 and Labour Day at sites within 6 hours from Toronto Canada. I'd like the flexibility to stretch it and maybe do a minus 5 or 10 celsius night - with additional clothing of course.

any recos?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KidShaleen View Post
    I'm struggling with this too. I just ordered a WBBB 1.1 DBL (my first hammock)

I'm planning to get the Hammock Gear Phoenix & Burrow - just don't know which weight to get 20*F or 40*F

90% of my camping will be between May 24 and Labour Day at sites within 6 hours from Toronto Canada. I'd like the flexibility to stretch it and maybe do a minus 5 or 10 celsius night - with additional clothing of course.

any recos?
    Ive personally taken the summer burrow and phoenix down to the mid 30's and have taken the 3 season burrow and incubator down to the teens with no over stuff. I think I could probably push then even colder if I wished to do so. That is of course with proper worn insulation. Remember if your to warm its always easy enough to vent an UQ. So me personally I'd rather vent an UQ and have the warmth and error on the side of caution then be cold and not have the insulation to keep me warm. Also remember warmth is not only how much down is in a quilt but baffle size as well. Another thing to consider is adding to the insulation. So if you do want to go as light as possible you can always get a summer set of quilts and supplement with a pad in colder weather. Lots of options and considerations.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts