Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!
    Good question, I was thinking of doing this with a few summer-weight bags until I can save up or luck into some money or materials to make or buy my own TQ.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

another one

Count me in as another person who is going to try layering this winter. I have a 15 degree down bag that I'm going to layer under my 25 degree top quilt. I'm hoping this should get me down to 0. If I end up really enjoying winter camping I may splurge on some winter quilts.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In winter I use my 3 season WB Yeti under quilt with my JRB Hudson River over it. That combo underneath along with my JRB Old Rag Mountain top quilt keeps me pretty warm.

Images
    I've not had much luck layering TQ's. They are kinda slippery when just layed on top and I toss and turn alot.
    Putting one inside the other (2xTQ) the foot box gets too cramped.

As much as I love getting out in the winter I find I can only make it about 6 times.
    It's hard to justify winter quilts $$$ for 6 trips a season. So I am experimenting with this.

This is a 5 degree long and wide sleeping bag slipped over the hammock. Poor mans peapod.
    To extend this temp rating even lower I plan to sleep in insulated overpants and a down jacket.

Shug has a great video where he uses a SB over the hammock.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-29-2011 at 11:57.

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images

Synthetic/Down layering

I know there is come talk about layering quilts among the guys that sleep on the ground in the winter. A few of them have had a lot of success with layering a synthetic quilt (such as the MLD Spirit quilt) over top of their down bags. That way when the water vapor condenses it does so in the synthetic quilt which does not harm the insulation properties.

I know it is a little off track but IMHO if bulk is not too much of a problem then a synthetic quilt should be a fairly simple DIY project to pass the time until funds for the 4 season set up comes alone

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    I know there is come talk about layering quilts among the guys that sleep on the ground in the winter. A few of them have had a lot of success with layering a synthetic quilt (such as the MLD Spirit quilt) over top of their down bags. That way when the water vapor condenses it does so in the synthetic quilt which does not harm the insulation properties.

Thanks. I was debating which order to layer my down 40F down topquilt and my 0C synthetic sleeping bag. Also good in that the TQ could easily fit inside the partially zipped SB.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Just curious if anyone has taken an extra UQ and used it over a TQ for added warmth? Im asking because im tempted to get a good solid winter UQ and
    use both my leighlo 30 degree quilts layered over me to get me by till I can afford the matching TQ.
    I fully plan to go play in the snow.
    My experience from a couple of below zero nights is this...If you can keep the underside warm, you don't need as much on the top side.

The nights I was out were between -5 and -10 degrees. I had my StormCrow 20 degree Crow's Nest and a synthetic UQ that's a bit bigger than the Crow's Nest on the outside over the Crow's Nest. I had a reflector sheet between the layers of my BB. On top I had a 20 degree sleeping bag as a TQ. Long underwear top and bottom, down boots and a stocking cap and I was toasty.

Have fun experimenting.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12