Thread: Gotta Question

Gotta Question

I've got a HHUEA and a JRB Shenandoah for an UQ. I would like to leave them attached. In the past, I have used a snake skin but for the hammock and stock tarp only. I am going to a different tarp this year (Sportsman's Guide 12 x 12 Camo) so, that will be in a separate stuff sack. I would love to have a snake skin for both hammock and UQ. Is there such a creature? IF not, is there a pattern where one could be made?

Secondly, I am converting to the support straps with the JRB triglide buckles. I would rather not cut the excess support lines (although I know that I probably should & thinking that if my strap break or Murphy comes to visit, I will have a back up) and I have tied bowline hitches in each end and bunched and duct taped the excess to shorten to a manageable length. I plan to use tie down straps (1300lb break strength) that I bought at Lowe's and cut the metal hooks out. Where the hooks are there is already have a sewn loop. My questions here are:

1) Is the 1,300 lb break strength sufficient for a 220 lb occupant? Should I go to a higher break strength?
    2) My plan is to loop the free end through the pre-sewn loop for the wrap around the tree and buckle the free end through the bowline hitch to attach the strap to the hammock. From my thinking, this should allow for adjustments as needed. Am I on line with my thinking here? Or, is there a better way and are there pictures available to show this set up?

Thanks

FMW
    Fat Man Walking

"I have no room for fear in my life. Fear is paralyzing. It's one thing to be scared. But once allowed in your life, fear is debilitating" Kit DesLauriers

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IE # 2 Most folks place a light weight (but strong) biner to the loop that goes around the tree and then simply snap it to the line that goes back to the hammock. It's soooo much easier to attach and unattach. You then run your suspension strap to a cinch buckle or rings that are attached seperately to the end of your hammock. There are many pics of the settup in the gallery.

Here's cinch buckle..it's attached to the hammock end....your suspension strap runs from the tree to it. The only thing you ever unhook is the biner attached to loop going around the tree. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic of the entire system. Maybe later.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=4911

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=4912

This shows the hammock end. Attach a one inch strap to the buckle....run it out to the tree...loop id around the tree and attach with the biner. Adjust the length. Once it's hooked up you never remove the strap from the buckle. It's sweet.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

similar system

I've been using a similar system to what you describe, only I have rings instead of cinch buckles. The answer to question one is, yes that is plenty of capacity. I use one inch wide straps that have a rating of about 600 - 700 lbs and haven't had any problems. I weigh about 185. As to the access length of the rope from the hammock to the buckle, you'll eventually cut it short. But wait until you are sure your new system works. No point in burning any bridges yet.

Question two - The sugestion about adding two biners to make it easier to wrap around trees is OK, but I've never felt the need. Plus, I save two and half oz. Not much, but when you use that philosophy with all your gear, it can add up to a couple pounds.
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 04-30-2008 at 08:57.

• + New Posts