Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I'm not afraid of the critters moving around me, although the bump from the Javalina at 2am was a little shocking, lol... Its just the constant little noises. At home I've learned to tune out most all of the common noises my wife or kid make, but if someone slams a car door 3 houses down I'm wide awake. I've slept a dozen or so nights in the backyard and sleep just fine, even with the dog out there bumping into me and walking around at all hours. I think its all just familiar, so no issues, its all tuned out.

While getting out and getting "used" to the noises out there works after a couple nights in the same spot, we are camping constantly in new spots. One night elk, another coyotes, last night Javalina and so on...

Being worn out before going to sleep doesn't help the waking parts much, I just wake up, and then fall right back asleep a little faster.

BTW, as a method of spooking Javalina, flatulence works pretty good... You have to wonder what the Javalina thought when it heard the loud grumbling as it got close chewing on grass. It bolted pretty fast grunting the whole way, it was all I could do to pay them back for keeping me awake..

Maybe I'll try a cotton ball or something where I won't loose as much touch with the sounds, but it could dull them a bit...

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i use earplugs, wouldn't be able to sleep without them, it's that simple for me

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    That is what the outdoors is all about. It means you just need to get out there more to get used to it.

Enjoy, and good luck
    That is the key right there.

I do set up a heat/ motion alarm if I am off myself sometimes.....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sasquatches are in the PNW and Western Canada. You don't have to worry.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use ear plugs made for me by an audiologist (part of the motorcycle kit). They allow a deep sleep (I also tend toward light sleeping due to noise) and also protect my ears when the Claymores mines go off.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I second the idea of hitting the sack exhausted. If I'm tired enough that making dinner is almost unattractive to me, I'm perfect to sleep through anything but a genuine emergency.

Though armadillos will still wake me, even when I'm that tired. Those buggers are noisy...

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Similarly, if you have children (or access to children) set up your gear and tell them that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you to be disturbed. Wait two and a half minutes and then start trying to ignore them as they "sneak" around you, tell you what their favorite color is, ask you if you are asleep yet, or hit you with a garden rake. Start with just one child (ironically, older is easier), then slowly work your way up to six.

You should be able to sleep restfully under an elevated train by then.
    Now that is funny, brother. I work rotating 12 hour shifts and would have to agree, although at my house it isn't the kids or their noise waking me, it is my wife telling them to be quiet after the fact.

You could try hanging a 'Do Not Disturb' sign off one of the trees. It would also eliminate the mystery bum bumps from below whilel negating the need for a bear bag.

On a more serious note , I use ear plugs and an online sleep aid that plays different combinations of sounds, such as my personal fave of creek, campfire and thunder. The plugs block out the noise, creek is whitenoise and thunder helps block the car door slams three houses down. When car camping I just use the cheap foam plugs. I hear nothing when sleeping with these from cars passing, people walking to privy, the wife making breakfast.... . If you wanted to lay out the cash, custom molded ear protectors are available that block out different levels of noise. The ones I got for work retail at about $200. The pair I wear for camping are $0.50.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Lots of bears in my area so every little noise gets my attention.

Foam ear plugs help me disconnect from the sounds and my concerns. Also, keeping a Mace Night Defender can in my ridgeline organizer adds a lot of peace of mind.

PS - small pepper sprays are only useful with black bears.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    I'm not afraid of the critters moving around me, although the bump from the Javalina at 2am was a little shocking, lol... Its just the constant little noises. At home I've learned to tune out most all of the common noises my wife or kid make, but if someone slams a car door 3 houses down I'm wide awake. I've slept a dozen or so nights in the backyard and sleep just fine, even with the dog out there bumping into me and walking around at all hours. I think its all just familiar, so no issues, its all tuned out.

While getting out and getting "used" to the noises out there works after a couple nights in the same spot, we are camping constantly in new spots. One night elk, another coyotes, last night Javalina and so on...

Being worn out before going to sleep doesn't help the waking parts much, I just wake up, and then fall right back asleep a little faster.

BTW, as a method of spooking Javalina, flatulence works pretty good... You have to wonder what the Javalina thought when it heard the loud grumbling as it got close chewing on grass. It bolted pretty fast grunting the whole way, it was all I could do to pay them back for keeping me awake..

Maybe I'll try a cotton ball or something where I won't loose as much touch with the sounds, but it could dull them a bit...
    I have exactly the same problem as you and it has nothing to do with being scared. I haven't found a great solution for it. I've tried sleeping pills and they seem to help a bit although they really magnify the effects of altitude sickness for me. Considering most of my camping is at higher altitudes it has only been something I've tried a few times due to being very sick in the mornings. Ear plugs work best for me although they don't solve it all. Even the sounds of the hammock fabric as I move around is enough to wake me up. Furthermore hiking until exhaustion doesn't seem to work either. In fact I found I have to be pretty careful on how many nights I stay out so I'm not to tired on the drive home. On average I figure I get about 3-5 hours worth of interrupted sleep if I lay in the hammock for 8-10 hours. Sorry I have no solution for you but at least your not alone...for what that's worth
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Lots of bears in my area so every little noise gets my attention.

Foam ear plugs help me disconnect from the sounds and my concerns. Also, keeping a Mace Night Defender can in my ridgeline organizer adds a lot of peace of mind.

PS - small pepper sprays are only useful with black bears.
    So, what other flavorings would you recomend for other types?

I work the overnights and sleep during day. Only way to sleep with 3 little ones is ear plugs and mask.
    Since you said you don't want to completely disconnect with ear plugs, may I suggest just 1 ear plug if you sleep with your head on the side. Works for me at home if I want some level of awareness.
    Also, to keep the "bumps" from happening, I would suggest to "mark" your hammock area, if you know what I mean. Keeps most animals away.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast