I'm not afraid of the critters moving around me, although the bump from the Javalina at 2am was a little shocking, lol... Its just the constant little noises. At home I've learned to tune out most all of the common noises my wife or kid make, but if someone slams a car door 3 houses down I'm wide awake. I've slept a dozen or so nights in the backyard and sleep just fine, even with the dog out there bumping into me and walking around at all hours. I think its all just familiar, so no issues, its all tuned out.

While getting out and getting "used" to the noises out there works after a couple nights in the same spot, we are camping constantly in new spots. One night elk, another coyotes, last night Javalina and so on...

Being worn out before going to sleep doesn't help the waking parts much, I just wake up, and then fall right back asleep a little faster.

BTW, as a method of spooking Javalina, flatulence works pretty good... You have to wonder what the Javalina thought when it heard the loud grumbling as it got close chewing on grass. It bolted pretty fast grunting the whole way, it was all I could do to pay them back for keeping me awake..

Maybe I'll try a cotton ball or something where I won't loose as much touch with the sounds, but it could dull them a bit...