Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Amazing! How's the comfort on that bad boy?

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwurx mfg. View Post
    Onething,
    I wanted to do the same thing your thinking of, having the net unzip completely. This way, during winter, I could bring a Hennessy style vapor barrier with a breather port and vinyl window to use on super cold days. Just zip it in place where the bug net would go.

The problem I found is that you have to purchase two complete zippers like the ones on a sleeping bag or coat that sepperates (special ends). Longest zippers I could find were 110". I wasn't sure if they would be long enough to fit on the Safari (probably would). I also couldn't find them in the smaller #5 zippers. The ones on eBay are hugh bulky monsters, #8 or 10.

Someone else on the forum may know how to add the special ends on a running coil zipper to remove it from the hammock properly. I finally decided to stick with the easier way to go. let me know what you find out.
    I guess there is not much demand for a zipper that long. On my HH, I had added 12 inchs of Silnylon material on each end over the bugnet. With the stock HH tarp, it gave extra protection from wind driven rain.

With that though, maybe add 5 or 6 inches on each side. The 110 zipper would then be enough.

I keep going back and forth if I want to add a zipper bugnet to my HH. It's lighter and easier to just make a full DIY bugnet. Which would allow you to sit with feet over the sides.

With the zipper bugnet, you can only lay in it to keep the bugs at bay.

However, it's the cool factor of having a zipper on the HH which keeps me coming back to wanting it.

Edit: Here's a link to a picture in HF which is for Thiangle Thingies which looks like what I was talking about. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=16004&c=14
    Last edited by OneThing; 11-14-2011 at 15:22. Reason: Added a link

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwurx mfg. View Post

The problem I found is that you have to purchase two complete zippers like the ones on a sleeping bag or coat that sepperates (special ends). Longest zippers I could find were 110". I wasn't sure if they would be long enough to fit on the Safari (probably would). I also couldn't find them in the smaller #5 zippers. The ones on eBay are hugh bulky monsters, #8 or 10.
    I ordered my 120" #5 separating sleeping bag-style zippers from ZipperStop via Amazon. They were $7.95 each. If my measurements are correct, they should be about the right length.

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    catsplat, That sounds like a fair deal. Would need four sets if one planned on removing the bugnet and wanted to add a vented vapor barrier that zipped in. Please let us know if does the trick.

Billybob58, I love the hammock an TQ, most comfortable hang I've ever had.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    I only planned on adding the bugmesh, so I only ordered 2 zips per hammock. The vapour barrier idea is a neat one, but will have to be tried by someone more skilled than I. I will definitely report back on how well the zippers work out for me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Zip, for now
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Factory
    So I also picked up a netless safari at the sale with plans of doing exactly what you did!! I had a military insect bar that I picked up on Ebay for cheap for my netting. Then bought 10 yards of #10 zipper, whats factory on my explorer. I was planning on using my factory zipper on the explorer as a guide. Then had a thought. Why not do a #2 mod, but use 1 continuous zipper all the way around? Then leave the short side sewed on to roll the net up to. Then I found your thread!! so did you leave the factory trim in place and just sew to it? Anybody see a downside to the #2 mod with one continuous zipper?
    Last edited by pupdog1243; 11-09-2012 at 14:24.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Wow, thank you I bought one of these beasts, I wanted to try to bottom entry. I also intend to give mine to my daughters boyfirend that is not a boyfriend (figure that one out, I can't). He is a big guy over 6 ft. 4 ins. I think over 300 pounds.

I was trying to decide how to do the net. Now I know, plus yours looks so nice. Mine would not have come out so tidy. Thank you, Thank you.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Now I wish I had bought one of the no net returns during the sale.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    I left the factory trim in place and simply sewed the zippers on the inside. Bought a bit of ripstop black nylon to tidy up the end bits. Pictures made my skills look better than they were when I started this thread. Guys like Papa Smurf do much better work.

For those that didn't get one of the Safaris on sale, look into the tableclothsfactory.com threads. They has a 15% off sale running a day or so back. you can grab a 90" x 152 or 156" crinkle nylon. Stack two of these monster together and you have a Ginormous hammock that cost about 50 bucks built, and can hold two people with easy!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Zip, for now
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Factory

Progress

So I decided to not use the military netting as it wasn't no-see-um. Have the zipper on, and am fairly happy with it. Waiting on my order of no-see-um to get here from OWF. Thumbs up to them, ordered it yesterday and it's already shipped. I'm actually working on three different projects at once, a sil hex tarp based on my hennessy hex, because I had enough sil laying around and needed a tarp for my safari, and then I picked up another netless expedition from JakobW in the for sale forum. I'm doing the same mod to it as I'm doing for the safari. About 1/2 way done putting the zipper on it. Got my tarp cut out, ridgeline and corners done, working on getting it hemmed. Amazing how one project leads to another!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123