Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension

Adding a Bugnet to the $49 Safari, Pic Heavy

So, I was lucky enough to grab one of the Safari models on sale from Hennessy a few weeks back. My cost from them, $49.00, 64.00 shipped. This was the model missing the bug net, with the classic bottom entry. Since it’s been raining off and on here, I had to hang the Hammock up inside to start my mods. I wanted to stitch up the classic entry, and add a “mod 4” 2qzq style bug net to my hammock. I also wanted to add, the cinch buckle conversion on Just Jeff’s hammock site (tothewoods.net), and add a few tie off points along the sides for an under quilt.

The Hennessy Safari Deluxe Classic as recieved

Weight of Safari Hammock, less bug net, stuff sack, and straps.

I ordered a few things the same day I placed my order for the hammock. Starting with Backwoods Daydreamer, diygearsupply.com.
    I ordered the following:
    30 foot YKK #5 Coil Zipper, only needed 21 feet.
    X6 Double tab Zipper Sliders
    X12 Slim line Zipper Pulls, 6 each side, inside and out, three zippers per side
    30 foot 1” Polyester webbing, for suspension straps
    Total W/ Shipping 34.95

Next I ordered from Wilderness Logics:
    X2 carabiners for Suspension
    8 Foot 7/64 Amsteel Blue for Cinch Buckle HH Conversion
    X2 pack #0 NightIze S Biners (4total) for UQ
    4 Yards No-see-um Bug mesh 56” wide, only used 10 feet
    Total $28.00 free shipping as I ordered a TQ & UQ

4 Yards Bug net weight

I also order 2 sets of 1” cinch buckle from onerope1.com (4 total)
    $17.95

Finally I had to pick up a bit of goodies like thread, marking pencil, pins, cord locks, and scrap Rip stop nylon from JoAnne Fabrics, about 14 bucks.
    My total cost for a custom HH Safari with dual full zip Bug mesh, closed classic entry, and cinch buckle suspension with 15’ of webbing straps each side and Carabiners was $158.90.

The Next two Pictures show my finished Cinch buckle Conversion. Conversion instructions can be found here http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html.

After removing the Velcro from my classic entry hammock, I added a double stitch to the material in order to make sure I didn’t pop a foot through in the middle of the night. The nice thing about removing the Velcro from the HH is that Hennessy adds the Velcro strips last. Meaning you don’t have to worry about the black trim pulling free when removing the Velcro stitching from the hammock edges. The trim is stitched in separately, and will stay put. I had to hang my hammock in the study from the window and a corbel, so I’m sorry if the pics are not super clear.

I then started at one end and pinned in the coil zipper to the hammock edges. Some sites and forums suggest making a cutout in order to precut the bug netting and attached the zipper to the net first. I didn’t have much luck playing with that idea, loose edges, so I strung the hammock the way I would hang it, and pinned in the zipper first. I made sure to add a few extra inches to each end to tidy thing up when finished.

Following and pinning the factory HH edge I made sure to pin and fold the area near the Asym tie off so the zipper would stitch in well. I had also split the threads in spots along the factory HH for tie out points for my UQ. You can see the added tabs sewn down in other photos.

After stitching in the zippers, I laid out the bug net over the hammock and started to pin it to the newly stitched coil zipper. I made sure the cords from the Asym tie out were pulled out to help with the pinning of the bug mesh. I had almost a full yard more No-see-um than needed (but used later).

It was at this point I had an “OH CRAP” moment! No matter how I pinned in the mesh, it simply wasn’t wide enough for the Safari! I had the length no problem, but I had tested the width from my Explorer Deluxe before ordering. The Safari is much wider than the Explorer! I stopped and did an internet search with no luck on a wider bug mesh, I had to use what I had already purchased. But I really didn’t want to try and seem together two pieces of netting!

The only thing I could do was cut the scrap of JoAnne ripstop to fill in the space. At first I hated the idea, but after cutting folding and pinning the ripstop to the zipper and net, the finish didn’t look too bad.

I then took the extra bug net and stitched up a mesh pocket for the inside of each of the ripstop nylon bits I had added. I figured since I couldn't see through it, I may as well make good use of it. The next two pictures are from inside the hammock. They show the added mesh pockets to the filler ripstop panels.

After stitching one side of the bug mesh to the zipper, I retighten my pins on the other side, and proceeded to finish up sewing the net. I also added a bit of Nylon to each end of the hammock where the netting attaches to clean up the look.

I’ve never really like the metal zipper pull tabs. A lot of folks attach the corded pulls to the metal tab itself, but I cut them off with a pair of wire snips. I then threaded a peace of cut cord from an old Hennessy tarp and attached my zipper pulls. Make sure the cord is thick enough to work with the pulls, but thin enough to fit through the zipper hole without pulling through the tiny gap at the end. I had to go back and cut my cord a bit longer, to short the first try.

This is the finished hammock! It took way longer than expected, 5 hours total. So it’s probably worth it to have the guys at 2qzq do it for you if sewing isn’t your thing. Without a factory bug net to work with, it was tougher than I thought!

I’d made a Bishops sack for my Explorer, so I switched out the thicker tie off cord with the remainder of my thinner Hennessy line, and stuffed my Safari in the Bishop for a final weight in. The total includes My Safari Deluxe, new netting with zippers, stitched up original classic bottom entry, 1” cinch buckle conversion, two 15’ webbing straps and carabiners. Not too shabby for a hammock as big as the Hennessy Safari!

Let me know what you guys think.

My next project is to figure out how to add the bug mesh stuff sack inside the hammock end. I purposefully added the piece of nylon to one end for that reason. Just couldn't figure out how to do it like I've seen on other hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Great job ! Love the breakdown with the pics!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Impressive. Great selection of pics and description of the process. Handsome recovery on the bug netting glitch.

And customized zipper sliders? No element is stock.Very cool.

You must be very satisfied

You gots skills!

SMSP

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    A smart guy woulda posted this where it belonged, in the DIY section. Dooh!

Looky there! A smarter fella than me, moved it for me!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Brickwurx mfg.; 10-24-2011 at 19:49.

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    So I finished up the bug net bag, then made some changes to the under quilt attachment tie-off points I had originally stitched into the zipper line. Below are a few pics of the bug net bag. Instead of attaching it to the ridge line, I stitched it directly to inside of the hammock.
    First pic is of the top section stitched into the end of the hammock. The netting goes underneath and is permentenlty connected. I also sewed in a bit of stretch fabric to keep the net from falling back out.

Second pic is from inside the hammock, the bag is about the shape of the end of the bag. Cone shaped.

Below is the picture of the net stuffed inside the bag, tight fit, but works.

My changes to the under quilt attachment points are because of these little booger below. The #0 S biners are great little tools. The problem is the tiny little hook on the ends of the S biners; they catch and snag the stretch fabric I sewed in like crazy! Woulda been a nightmare in cold temps.

Below is the original mod stitching, not only did the S biners catch and cause issues; I tried to stay with the factory sewed lines. This wasn’t as strong as I wanted.

I used a seam ripper and removed the tie-off point. I picked up some plastic O-rings to fix my mod. Below shows the ripped seam and photos of the installed O-rings, I made sure to use a bar stitch to make sure the tie-offs hold tight.

The next two pics show the finished tie-off, I then installed a side point to my under quilt. Afterwards I went back a double bar stitched each of the tie-offs. They are defiantly not going anywhere now!

I can’t get a good shot of the entire hammock hanging in the study. I’ll try and get some complete pics taken outside in the next day or so.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I wish I had sewing skills.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    We all felt the same way the first time we sat down in front of a thread injector, Dave. The trick is to just go for it. Start with a simply project, alot of people suggest stuff sacks, I say a gathered end hammock is easier. The only thing to do is hem 4 sides and your done. Then move to stuff sacks, and finally on to the bigger and more involved projects. Before you know it you'll be throwing together a down quilt set without fear...well until you start stuffing down for the first time anyway.

Good looking net there, Brick. That should keep the little buggers at bay.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    Dave10, Catavarie is spot on. I think the pictures are more forgiving than one would think. I've only been sewing for about 6 months (still wouldn't tackle anything with down). I bought my machine from a pawn shop for less than thirty bucks. I ended up at JoAnne fabrics asking a million questions. I didn't have a clue as to how to thread the machine, or add thread to the bobbin (no manual with machine).
    My "thread injector", sewing machine, is nearly 20 years old, but has a solid motor and works fine for my needs. My only suggestion would be patience. I messed up a lot at first because I hurried things along. I'm not sure if I do everything correct or not, but the forum here helps a ton. One of the things I would deffinately pick up is a good pair of scissors. Then a pin cushion and pins for working with fabrics, maybe a fabric pencil or marker, and a few cheap lighters.
    Instead of cutting my threads flush to the material (I worry about the tread backing out), I leave the polyester thread about a quarter of an inch long, then melt the end with a lighter and give it a quick pinch. Some seamstresses would probably kill me for writing that that’s how I finish stitches. But it kinda ensures stitches stay put, and looks better, at least for black or darker fabrics. Work at the table, a flat surface makes a world of difference. I use a folding table with the legs cut short so I can sit in the living room and watch, or at least listen, to the television. I gotta feeling if you can work on a car, or are a do it yourself kinda guy, sewing is a skill that is picked up quickly, at least the basics.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    WOW!!!! What a good job!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast