WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    I have continued to struggle with IX quilts, so this really peaked my interest.

I completed the Mod this weekend and tested it indoors with very good results.

I put in 4" collars ( Shell + IX + Shock Cord + IX + Shell )

The Horse Collar + a 12" Tri-angle thingy creates a good seal
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    A question on the construction: when you ran the cordage through the end channels, which type of sandwich did you use?

I mean, is it cordage, then polyfill, then inner shell against hammock? Or was it cordage, shell material to make a channel, polyfill, then inner shell against hammock?

Essentially, what I'm asking is, "Does the cordage directly contact the polyfill in the draft tube?"

I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere here; I'm only halfway through my coffee as I type this.
    My tubes have the same construction as my UQ, but then doubled over so it's twice as much. I laid down an 8-10" wide piece of shell, then 3 pieces of IX. I popped a hole dead center in the material and reinforced with some grossgrain (you could do a button hole here). This is where the final cordage comes out when finished.

Then I folded it over lengthwise such that the IX was facing out and shell material is on the inside. Sew the long edge of the material. Then take your cordage and sew the ends into the corners (opposite from sewn edge). For cordage, I initially used paracord so I had 2 long pieces. Each piece had an end sewn into a corner and then stuffed the other end out the buttonhole. Later I attached shockcord to the paracord (think tarp guyline tensioner setup). You could probably skip all that and just sew shockcord directly into the corners.

Then pull the thing inside out through one of the ends so it's right side out. Then finish sewing the ends and then sew onto the UQ.

I know this is a pathetic explanation. If I can get a break from the work load today, I'll try to draw up a visual. Hopefully that will help.

-scum
    Last edited by scum; 10-31-2011 at 11:18.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I have continued to struggle with IX quilts, so this really peaked my interest.

I completed the Mod this weekend and tested it indoors with very good results.

I put in 4" collars ( Shell + IX + Shock Cord + IX + Shell )

The Horse Collar + a 12" Tri-angle thingy creates a good seal
    Awesome! Glad it worked. If you like the triangle thingy setup, check this out:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41140

Not trying to knock the triangle thingy setup. Actually, this setup was built on the back of the triangle thingy concept.

-scum

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Alright. Here's an attempt. Some of this blurred when converting to jpeg. If it's too difficult to read/see, let me know and I'll give it another go.

Keep in mind, this is exactly the way/process I used including my progression from starting w/ paracord and then later adding shock cord (last pic at bottom). The paracord now serves no other purpose than to tie the shock cord onto. I tried demonstrating how I tie the shock cord on to the paracord off to the right of that pic. If it doesn't make sense, look up some of the stickies on guyline tensioners. I did the same exact thing - just inside the tube.

Reference the pics in the original post as reference and it should be clear what I'm trying to explain.

Hope this helps,
    -scum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Alright. Here's an attempt. Some of this blurred when converting to jpeg. If it's too difficult to read/see, let me know and I'll give it another go.

Keep in mind, this is exactly the way/process I used including my progression from starting w/ paracord and then later adding shock cord (last pic at bottom). The paracord now serves no other purpose than to tie the shock cord onto. I tried demonstrating how I tie the shock cord on to the paracord off to the right of that pic. If it doesn't make sense, look up some of the stickies on guyline tensioners. I did the same exact thing - just inside the tube.

Reference the pics in the original post as reference and it should be clear what I'm trying to explain.

Hope this helps,
    -scum

Thank you! That is excellently clear. I appreciate the hard work you put into making these ideas available for the rest of us.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Thanks for the great diagram.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post

Hope this helps,
    -scum

What is IX?
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension