Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images

UQ Suspension System

So from another post, I've had a few questions about my suspension setup. This setup allows you to easily adjust the head or foot end of your UQ independently and from within your hammock. I find it extremely convenient. With all the questions, I decided to make a run to the trees and do a quick setup and take a few pics.

Before I go too far, the UQ I have is the diy Insultex UQ from sclittlefield's design. You can see my original setup in his sticky here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881
    The only deviation I made was I used a poncho liner for the outer shell and I added some draft tubes at the head/foot using left over poncho liner and IX scraps. Works perfect and have had this puppy comfortably into the low teens (F). I believe I could hit singe digits but haven't proven it. ...Yet.

Here's the overall gist of the suspension setup via mad paint skills. It's essentially 4 prussik knots and the two lengths of paracord running through the UQ channels. I use the paracord simply because the shock cord gave me too much grief. Originally, I had shock cord running the length of the hammock on both sides for the suspension. I should probably, some day, replace the paracord with utility line to save weight but have been too lazy...

The ends of the cord (at head and foot) are NOT tied together UNTIL you run the ends through the loop of the 1st prussik. Then I do a sort of slippery half hitch (not done this this pic but you get the idea) to tie the ends together and make it real easy to untie them when packing up.

Then I hook the tied ends to the carabiner which is attached to the other prussik loop. Note, there are a couple of spare prussiks hanging in there that I use for strapping on misc crap. Just ignore them. My carabiner is attached to the white mason line prussik.

Do this on both ends and now I can simply reach up to my ridgeline and pull on the suspension line to loosen the slack on the prussik w/ the clip and then slide the prussik up or down to tighten or loosen the end of the hammock. Simple, fast and easy. (Don't judge my pitch too much, I was trying to beat the cold and light was fading and had my kids w/ me so ... yeah)

Here's a pic of my 1st prussik loop that acts as the 'pulley'. Followed by the one on the other end w/ a suspension line running through it. Note, I make mine long because it give about the same angle and locations that triangle thingies make. It forces the UQ to pull up under you instead of trying to pull out to the ends of the whipping. In my opinion, this works better. YMMV. Also, I keep these as prussik knots to be able to have full adjustability on the UQ. But really, it took about 30sec to dial in and these haven't moved since.

Here's a shot of the two clip prussiks. I have my lines set so that when I get in and pull these in to suck the UQ up under me, the 2 prussik knots are a few inches apart. I did this so I didn't have to sit up to reach for the foot end prussik to loosen or tighten a bit. They're both within reach when laying down.

On a side note but related, I've posted about the draft collars I use here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41139

These make it even more stupid simple to setup my UQ. I don't really have to worry about whether I have the UQ up tight enough to seal out drafts. I just hop in, suck it up against me using the above setup and start counting the stars reflecting off the lake...

Hope this helps,
    -scum
    Last edited by scum; 10-24-2011 at 09:14. Reason: few grammatical fixes

• + New Posts