Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images

UQ Suspension System

So from another post, I've had a few questions about my suspension setup. This setup allows you to easily adjust the head or foot end of your UQ independently and from within your hammock. I find it extremely convenient. With all the questions, I decided to make a run to the trees and do a quick setup and take a few pics.

Before I go too far, the UQ I have is the diy Insultex UQ from sclittlefield's design. You can see my original setup in his sticky here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881
    The only deviation I made was I used a poncho liner for the outer shell and I added some draft tubes at the head/foot using left over poncho liner and IX scraps. Works perfect and have had this puppy comfortably into the low teens (F). I believe I could hit singe digits but haven't proven it. ...Yet.

Here's the overall gist of the suspension setup via mad paint skills. It's essentially 4 prussik knots and the two lengths of paracord running through the UQ channels. I use the paracord simply because the shock cord gave me too much grief. Originally, I had shock cord running the length of the hammock on both sides for the suspension. I should probably, some day, replace the paracord with utility line to save weight but have been too lazy...

The ends of the cord (at head and foot) are NOT tied together UNTIL you run the ends through the loop of the 1st prussik. Then I do a sort of slippery half hitch (not done this this pic but you get the idea) to tie the ends together and make it real easy to untie them when packing up.

Then I hook the tied ends to the carabiner which is attached to the other prussik loop. Note, there are a couple of spare prussiks hanging in there that I use for strapping on misc crap. Just ignore them. My carabiner is attached to the white mason line prussik.

Do this on both ends and now I can simply reach up to my ridgeline and pull on the suspension line to loosen the slack on the prussik w/ the clip and then slide the prussik up or down to tighten or loosen the end of the hammock. Simple, fast and easy. (Don't judge my pitch too much, I was trying to beat the cold and light was fading and had my kids w/ me so ... yeah)

Here's a pic of my 1st prussik loop that acts as the 'pulley'. Followed by the one on the other end w/ a suspension line running through it. Note, I make mine long because it give about the same angle and locations that triangle thingies make. It forces the UQ to pull up under you instead of trying to pull out to the ends of the whipping. In my opinion, this works better. YMMV. Also, I keep these as prussik knots to be able to have full adjustability on the UQ. But really, it took about 30sec to dial in and these haven't moved since.

Here's a shot of the two clip prussiks. I have my lines set so that when I get in and pull these in to suck the UQ up under me, the 2 prussik knots are a few inches apart. I did this so I didn't have to sit up to reach for the foot end prussik to loosen or tighten a bit. They're both within reach when laying down.

On a side note but related, I've posted about the draft collars I use here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41139

These make it even more stupid simple to setup my UQ. I don't really have to worry about whether I have the UQ up tight enough to seal out drafts. I just hop in, suck it up against me using the above setup and start counting the stars reflecting off the lake...

Hope this helps,
    -scum
    Last edited by scum; 10-24-2011 at 09:14. Reason: few grammatical fixes

I appreciate your clear explanation & the accompanying photos (what a lovely spot to set up - love that autumn grass) From the response you got to your original post I could tell you were on to something but I just wasn't seeing it. I get it now. Thank you.

Images
    i lost my suspension setup at the MAHHA. that is why i started the other thread to see what people were using before i made another setup. i am definitely going to try this out. i REALLY like your setup

TY
    KK&K
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    The ends of the cord (at head and foot) are NOT tied together UNTIL you run the ends through the loop of the 1st prussik....scum
    This was the crucial element I was missing. Yesterday, I untied my ridgeline, ran the hammock through my underquilt's shock cord loops, brought the ridgeline over the top of the shock cord loop and retied it. Once I got Scum's set up installed, I dialed in my underquilt in, like, two seconds!!!!

Now, I just have to cut my shock cord loops in the middle () to make the two ends that I can tie and untie around my hammock and under my ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    It forces the hammock to pull up under you instead of trying to pull out to the ends of the whipping.
    -scum
    You meant "underquilt", right? Not busting your chops, just making sure I understand. Anyway, this works amazingly well. The underquilt really benefits from a more vertical pull. It "puckers" the ends less, so you just don't have to compensate for a gap, because there isn't one!!! Thanks, Scum!!!! I love this system!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    You meant "underquilt", right? Not busting your chops, just making sure I understand
    Yup. Ill edit the original post. Thanks.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    scum,
    I like. I see this becoming a "standard" set up like whoopie slings.

In a traditional triangle thingy set up I understand that shock cord helps because you can set it up slightly over the mark and then the shock cord gives some.

It seems in your setup (you need a name) that shock cord would actually be bad. The give would defeat the purpose of the prussik tightening mechanism. Am I correct? Maybe you just used regular line because that is what you had, but it seems to me to do it correctly you need to take any shock cord out.

Has anybody tried this with shock cord?

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    In a traditional triangle thingy set up I understand that shock cord helps because you can set it up slightly over the mark and then the shock cord gives some.

It seems in your setup (you need a name) that shock cord would actually be bad. The give would defeat the purpose of the prussik tightening mechanism. Am I correct?
    I actually originally had shock cord. I don't like shock cord for my suspension because it tends to stretch and tighten in all the wrong spots for me and also makes it harder to slide the UQ up or down on the lines. Of course, that's my fault since I made my channels a little small.
    However, I also found that when tightening up using this system, it would stretch the line between the two prussiks before it would properly start pulling the UQ up. I really didn't like the shock cord as my suspension lines and found the paracord to be much better for this setup.
    I don't want to say its absolutely a no-go but it's certainly my preference to not use the shock cord.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Scum, this is some great stuff. I was thinking about doing something different than triangle thingies because of the adjustment being done when you're not in the hammock. Your system is elegant and simple. Or simply elegant. Very well done, I'll have to tackle this trick soon.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Now, I just have to cut my shock cord loops in the middle () to make the two ends that I can tie and untie around my hammock and under my ridge line.

After coffee thought: I'm going to leave the original equipment (shock cord) and cut me four lengths of utility cord and tie them on the loops at the corners of my underquilt with bowlins. The original shock cord weighs next to nothing and I hate to mess with such a nice piece of equipment.

Edit: Further thought: Tie bowlins at BOTH ends of the cords. Then, instead of tying them together, just hook them both in the carabiner on the middle Prusik!!

Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    It seems in your setup ... that shock cord would actually be bad. The give would defeat the purpose of the prussik tightening mechanism. Am I correct? Maybe you just used regular line because that is what you had, but it seems to me to do it correctly you need to take any shock cord out.

Has anybody tried this with shock cord?
    Yeah, I did it with the original shock cord on my Flamethrower yesterday. It works, but--like you suspected--the shock cord is working against the system. You have to draw it up tight enough to max it out, so you're just going to be better off with non-stretch cord (in my opinion). The ridgeline provides enough "give" to the system.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 10-24-2011 at 10:41.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post

Yeah, I did it with the original shock cord on my Flamethrower yesterday. It works, but--like you suspected--the shock cord is working against the system. You have to draw it up tight enough to max it out, so you're just going to be better off with non-stretch cord (in my opinion). The ridgeline provides enough "give" to the system.
    Maybe do a combination of shockcord through the channels and a static line through the prussics ala Mad777:

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I run 5' of 1/8" nylon shock cord through each of the side channels.
    I use 5' of 1.75mm Zing-it tied to the shock cord ends, above, such that the Zing-it completes the loop on each end of the hammock (10' of shock cord, 10' of Zing-it all totalled).
    Might still provide too much stretch - dunno. Personally I'd be afraid of having all static line and no give. I've almost sat on my UQ instead of hammock a couple times already O.o (but I'm a total UQ noob having just built one - and both hammock and UQ being the same color doesn't help any).

Another thought - obviously works well with non bugnet attached hammocks, but could be adapted to attached bugnet hammocks by adding a secondary RL on top of the bugnet for prussic attachment. Would still be adjustable from inside as long as you have a side zip to slip an arm through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast