Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Calling on anglers for hardware repurposing

Perusing the shelves in one of the many recreational fishing supply stores at the Jersey Shore, I'm amazed at the variety of hardware for attaching lures, flies, weights, etc to fishing line. All kinds of non-rusting swivels and snaps. These connectors would have been ignored when minimum line size for hmmkrs was 5-6mm. But now, some of the heaviest line hmmkrs use is 2mm, which would fit in many of these devices.

Who needs unrated mini-biners if some of these, smaller, lighter and cheaper fishing tools will do as well?

So: Any suggestions from anglers, with your knowledge of how these naughty bits are rated for strength, how easy they are to use, how reliable, etc? See some in your tackle box?

Note: I can see that some of these bits of fabricated of wire have points I would not want to risk tearing my fabric on when stuffing it.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-24-2011 at 19:15. Reason: correct number in last word

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Perusing the shelves in one of the many recreational fishing supply stores at the Jersey Shore, I'm amazed at the variety of hardware for attaching lures, flies, weights, etc to fishing line. All kinds of non-rusting swivels and snaps. These connectors would have been ignored when minimum line size for hmmkrs was 5-6mm. But now, some of the heaviest line hmmkrs use is 2mm, which would fit in many of these devices.

Who needs unrated mini-biners if some of these, smaller, lighter and cheaper fishing tools will do as well?

So: Any suggestions from anglers, with your knowledge of how these naughty bits are rated for strength, how easy they are to use, how reliable, etc? See some in your tackle box?

Note: I can see that some of these bits of fabricated of wire have points I would not want to risk tearing my fabric on when stuffing them.
    Interesting thought.. You are on to something here.. I have a bunch of big fish stuff.. Ill try and dig it out today.
    For that matter.. I have some 100 line somewhere

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Good idea, larger snap swivels could be used in place of a little biner. Fly line backing could make tethers for items. And one knot we use in fly fishing called a Nail Knot, I thought would make a nice connection from trip tease line to a shockcord, for a low profile knot. You can also join two sections of cord together by tying a very tight nail knot with a third piece of cord right over the top of the overlapping ends, better looking than bulky knots.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    A Bimini twist with a short furled line might work very well as a shock absorbing aid for tarp tie outs instead of bungee or tubing. More than likely allot lighter also.

"A Bimini twist loop is stronger than the line itself. It is one of the rare knots that does not weaken the line in which it is tied."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    I would think you would want to stick in the Saltwater Fishing section for most of your needs. I like the idea but would worry about Bass fishing stuff due to some of it rusting or not having enough strength. With the Saltwater stuff you get corrosion proof plus some added strength. Only thing about swivels with the clasp on the end is usually you end up with a very sharp point where the clasp hooks together. That would worry me stuffing that around my tarp or hammock. Now the swivels with just the eyelets on each end would be fine. You would end up tying knots on both sides of that all the time.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of the head. Not an attempt to be hating on the idea by no means. Certainly got me to thinking about what I could use in place of other items. You know braided lines for fishing have some really good strength and zero stretch. Most times them come in a ridiculously small diameter.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

• + New Posts