Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Made my first pair of Dynaglide whoopies

Already Made several pairs of 7/64 Amsteel and thought I try my hand using dynaglide. I actually found it easier to make using Dynaglide. The waxy coating seems to help. I had some trepidation about using Dynaglide because it was so thin and I thought I would need some special tools to make the slings but I was nicely surprised that floral wire and masking tape worked great!

~S~

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Made many an amsteel set but help off the Dynaglide even though I have some set aside for that purpose. Thanks for reminding me.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Dynaglide whoopies are strong too, I've almost blown through 200' of it in less than a month made some for my brother, a friend, and some extras just because.

I know that they say on the forums here that it's sketchy to use it for hammock suspension, but I quite like mine and have yet to even give a sign of weakness. I think my hammock body would rip before those bright green whoopies of mine... Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtillidie View Post
    Dynaglide whoopies are strong too, I've almost blown through 200' of it in less than a month made some for my brother, a friend, and some extras just because.

I know that they say on the forums here that it's sketchy to use it for hammock suspension, but I quite like mine and have yet to even give a sign of weakness. I think my hammock body would rip before those bright green whoopies of mine... Happy hanging!
    Just wondering since I'm still new to the tools of this trade, what is the difference in $ amount, weight, size(amount of area it takes up) for the same length of each?
    Not a gram weenie, but just curious. Thanks in advance.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    If you buy large lengths of rope Dynaglide and Amsteel and actually comparable in price. The problem is finding someone who sells Dynaglide by the foot if you don't need 200'+. It usually ends up being pricier. The Dynaglide is thinner (1.8mm vs 2.77mm) and lighter (I want to say about half the weight, but I can't remember for sure).

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    If you buy large lengths of rope Dynaglide and Amsteel and actually comparable in price. The problem is finding someone who sells Dynaglide by the foot if you don't need 200'+. It usually ends up being pricier. The Dynaglide is thinner (1.8mm vs 2.77mm) and lighter (I want to say about half the weight, but I can't remember for sure).
    Thanks for the info. Bulk buy seems to be the key due to trade off in $ over size in stuff sak. Other than that, can buy Amsteel at local Westmarine by the foot, no Dynaglide I've found yet.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Just wondering since I'm still new to the tools of this trade, what is the difference in $ amount, weight, size(amount of area it takes up) for the same length of each?
    Not a gram weenie, but just curious. Thanks in advance.
    i personally have not had any encounters with amsteel so i do not know. what i used before my whoopies was some 6mm rope from REI. hammock included with my whoopies and ridgline weighs less now than just the rope i was using before.

I am not a gram weenie, but loved the idea of small diameter spectra cord holding me up while i hang.

Happy hanging!

BTW, if you do decide to make them yourself, 18+ inches of thin wire creased in half will be your best friend...works really well for me. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    You can buy dynaglide at Arrowhead in 25 foot lengths. Mine is yellow. I used some for replacing the ridgeline on my WBBB and I plan to use some for giving a go at whoopie slings.
    As for weight, my 4 foot dynaglide whoopies (store bought ones) are half the weight of the 7/64 Amsteel whoopies (not that the amsteel is that heavy though). I can't remember the weights off hand, but I think it was 32 grams vs 16 grams or in that neighborhood.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    You can buy dynaglide at Arrowhead in 25 foot lengths. Mine is yellow. I used some for replacing the ridgeline on my WBBB and I plan to use some for giving a go at whoopie slings.
    As for weight, my 4 foot dynaglide whoopies (store bought ones) are half the weight of the 7/64 Amsteel whoopies (not that the amsteel is that heavy though). I can't remember the weights off hand, but I think it was 32 grams vs 16 grams or in that neighborhood.
    Careful.. Dynaglide does not come in yellow. Just orange and green. What you may have there is Zing It and it does not carry a rating that is suitable for hammock suspension.

• + New Posts