Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5

Poncho Liner Underquilt HELP

Hello all,
    I am starting this thread with just a question.

I have seen old army poncho liners used to
    make an underquilt for hammock.

Are there any huge difference between older and new poncho liners?
    How warm of an underquilt would this make? 2 season 3 season, i am guessing not 4 season.

also, just trying to get up my 50 posts so I can Pay It Forward!

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I have a sewn surplus PL, have one layer of IX in the sandwich. Kept me warm and toasty @ 45 F, but I do sleep warm. I have heard that the new PL from Wiggys is a slight amount warmer, but I have not experienced first hand.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    GT UL/HH
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Hideout UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    I have a sewn surplus PL, have one layer of IX in the sandwich. Kept me warm and toasty @ 45 F, but I do sleep warm. I have heard that the new PL from Wiggys is a slight amount warmer, but I have not experienced first hand.
    I have the Wiggy's liner that uses Lamilite. It's slightly warmer (that I can remember haven't used a service liner in a few years) than the issue liner. I also use it with a solar blanket and a Wiggy's 40 deg bag and was warm down to the 30s.. I definitely think I'll need a true on winter underquilt for the Michigan winters to be sure.. Hope that helps a little.

Nick

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    We currently use issue poncho liner under quilts, and for our last two colder hangs I did take down throws and pinned them onto the poncho liner UQ, on top. It got us down to 32 this past weekend, but with much adjusting. I first night all 3 of us about froze. The second night we were just fine, but like I said it was with much adjusting of the suspensions. Personally, it is just not something that I want to keep messing with below 45 degrees. I plan on making a better UQ and one that is more compressible. By the way, I am a hot sleeper and so is my son, we had layers on and still about froze our first night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I just made a no-sew UQ from my wiggys poncho liner. I also just bought an issue PL to use as a TQ in warm weather. I don't know about the difference in warmth but the Wiggys PL is significantly heavier and stiffer than the issue model.

For an alternative UQ starter material I'm thinking about hacking up my kids' new sleeping bag. I got a Kelty Shooting Star from Target for $20. It's the same price as the PL I bought but I'd guess at least 5 times thicker. The bag is rated for 45F so I figure that's a good estimate or lower for the UQ.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've made and used a few PLUQs, including some with IX layers inside. Like others, 45–50°F is about the comfort range. If you can sew some loft, then you can get lower. The problem is that the PLUQs have thickness, but it isn't a lot. Adding more layers or getting baffles is possible, but it will be heavy and bulky -- non-issues if you're car camping. I like using the PLUQs for summer family hangs or as loaners for the Boy Scouts as they take a beating and are inexpensive.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For me, with the suspension dialed in, I'm good down to 40 or so with just a PLUQ and a poncho liner top quilt. That being said, I'm an extremely hot sleeper (on the ground, I'm good down to about 55 or so in just a T-shirt and shorts with no additional insulation).

For most folks, 45 to 55 is probably a good temperature range for the low end on a PLUQ. They're cheap and easy to make, and a good first DIY project.

There doesn't seem to me to be a huge difference in the issue liners; I have one brand-new as my top quilt and one used as my PLUQ, and they both seem to give me about the same amount of warmth. All the usual acronyms apply, however.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition & WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Yuu can buy thinsulate Poncho Liners that are warmer than the issue ones. How much warmer, I couldn't say. In my active duty days we would make a "Ranger Roll" with a poncho, space blanket and poncho liner tied together in that order. The whole shooting match would be a bit bulky when added to a hammock but it's very warm.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Cost & Weight

Wondering what the total cost & weight is using this combo down to 40'sF?

I'm looking at Insultex & trying to see the cost vs weight & ease of making one.

It also seems it would be better to have two UQ's. One for 40f & up, and one for 35f & below.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    Wondering what the total cost & weight is using this combo down to 40'sF?

I'm looking at Insultex & trying to see the cost vs weight & ease of making one.

It also seems it would be better to have two UQ's. One for 40f & up, and one for 35f & below.
    I don't have a scale that measures in ounces over a pound or so, but the weight of an issue liner is about 22 oz. Figure another eight ounces for rigging gear, and you're talking about 30 oz. Which is not ultralight-approved, but is much lighter than most sleeping bags in the price range.

My liners cost me $22 a piece at the local Army/Navy store and the rigging gear came out to about $15 at JoAnne's (I had a couple of coupons, though, so it might be a bit more). Call it $40 for round numbers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast