WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by imspiritgirl View Post
    Welcome, I was just down your way on the last long weekend stayed at Nickerson. I used to hang my food and I don't cook dinner where I'm gonna camp but its a pain in the butt so I recently purchased ursack which I tie away from camp. I also have a canister for areas that regulations require one. As for hammocking w the dog I have a young border collie and I've been putting her under my rig on a sit pad. We have been out when it's chilly so she carries her coat and a light fleece blanket w her but mostly this past year its been a base camping situation so when my car has been there especially when its been real cold for her high thirties to low forties I've thrown a small dome tent up and haven't dealt as she can be quite the borderline border collie at times. My dog piece is a work in progress b/c she is young.
    I'm trying to train my boy to hang so I can make his own hammock since he's a big guy (70lb smooth coated collie) but I might just have to take the tent for him. He seems interested in getting in with me so it might be a go. I am a little squeamish about him being out under my hammock. The Cape 'yotes make me nervous. Anywhere else, they don't bother me. But the coyotes here are not your average 'yotes. I'd feel better with him off the ground. In the end, though I guess it's really his decision.

I am hoping to do a Nickerson hike/camp either this fall or in the spring. I'm glad to hear they are okay with the hammocks.

I've been looking at the bags vs. canisters and thought getting experienced opinions would help me make the decision.
    Thanks a bunch!
    I was told there'd be no math on this exam. ~T.D.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip

Thanks for all the replies

You guys have been a big help-I'm off to look at bear bags.

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I hang my food. My wife and I graduated from Bourne High School, I do miss The Cape!!

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibby View Post
    I'm trying to train my boy to hang so I can make his own hammock since he's a big guy (70lb smooth coated collie) but I might just have to take the tent for him. He seems interested in getting in with me so it might be a go. I am a little squeamish about him being out under my hammock. The Cape 'yotes make me nervous. Anywhere else, they don't bother me. But the coyotes here are not your average 'yotes. I'd feel better with him off the ground. In the end, though I guess it's really his decision.

I am hoping to do a Nickerson hike/camp either this fall or in the spring. I'm glad to hear they are okay with the hammocks.

I've been looking at the bags vs. canisters and thought getting experienced opinions would help me make the decision.
    Thanks a bunch!
    I didn't hear much activity from the 'yotes on this last trip but I was down there rt after the hurricane went thru and I have never heard so many at night (I was at the dunes in P-Town and there had to be well over fifty) i had the dog in her kennel in the tent, otherwise I would have gotten up and put her in my car. I think she may have resembled a tasty kibble to them .

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Welcome.
    I was at Nickerson sp around this time last year also, great park with the close proximity to nice beaches plus the kettle ponds. Besides the color,the cape was our favorite part of a long New England trip.
    I have a large dog that over time got used to his mat layed under the hammock & usually cable chained to one of trees I am hanging off. He sleeps indoors at home, so besides wanting to get after every animal that he heard at night at first, the only other issue is watching out for him clobbering my tarp guy lines.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by imspiritgirl View Post
    I didn't hear much activity from the 'yotes on this last trip but I was down there rt after the hurricane went thru and I have never heard so many at night (I was at the dunes in P-Town and there had to be well over fifty) i had the dog in her kennel in the tent, otherwise I would have gotten up and put her in my car. I think she may have resembled a tasty kibble to them .
    Yeah, Graham got grabbed a few years back and I do not want a repeat of that. That happened right behind my house while I was watching. We did our tent tests in the living room to be safe
    I don't call him Captain Calamity for nuthin'

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl lefty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj.Web/Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
    Welcome.
    I was at Nickerson sp around this time last year also, great park with the close proximity to nice beaches plus the kettle ponds. Besides the color,the cape was our favorite part of a long New England trip.
    I have a large dog that over time got used to his mat layed under the hammock & usually cable chained to one of trees I am hanging off. He sleeps indoors at home, so besides wanting to get after every animal that he heard at night at first, the only other issue is watching out for him clobbering my tarp guy lines.
    Luckily our day tests with the tarp went well. He learned where the lines were and then got a friend's dog running. He'd expertly dodge the lines and the other dog would go right through them.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from eastern NC. I've got some friends who have a place up in your neck of the woods in Sagamore Beach. Went up for a 10 day visit a couple of summers ago. Great area to spend some time, especially in late July. Ate fresh caught lobster at least 3 times while we were there.
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Assuming you'll do most of you hanging in New England, I'd suggest bear bagging. Don't have any suggestions about the dog. Been wondering that myself.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast