Hammock information

Hello all,

I have been backpacking for years and have done 5 section hikes on the AT and found this site via WB. I have also done quite a bit of other backpacking in Pennsylvania and West Virginia as well as other outdoor activities. I am thinking of getting a hammock, but I do not want to spend a ton of money on one just to find out that I do not like it. I work at a gear shop in Columbus that deals in Hennesy hammocks so I can get some kind of discount there. Do you all have any cheap hammock recomendations, or a good starter hammock from hennesy. My current tent is a Sierra Designs Asteroid CD which for tent, fly, pole, stakes and footprint weighs in somewhere just under 5 pounds. This weight is typically split between two people because it is a two person tent and my girlfriend often backpacks with me. Any information you all could provide for me would be greatly appreciated.

'hound

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks Jeff I'll take a look at it.

Images
    Hound, welcome to this site.

As Jeff said, try a homemade one. You can make a cheap one for under $20 and an hour or so worth of work (minus the tarp and bug netting).

I live in Cincy. I usually have 1 or 2 weekdays off a week. Let me know if you want to get together for an overnight or day hike. I have a DIY hammock and a HH hammock you can try out if you want.

Side question. Do you work at the same outfitters that RedneckRye from WB works at. I was up there last year when he did a good talk on the AT.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Yeah I work at the same outfitter as RedneckRye. A couple of the other guys that work at the shop use hammocks but I haven't had a chance to talk to then yet.

• + New Posts