Images

DIY bugnet for narrow hammock

I made a double layer hammock this weekend that has the dimensions of a Claytor. I added omnitape along both sides to attach a Speer-style bugnet. In Ed's book, he says to make the bugnet 24" wide. On my 5' wide hammock, I thought that would work pretty well, but I am concerned that a 24" bugnet might be too narrow for the 4' wide hammock. Should I add the 12" that are missing from the hammock to the bugnet?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I made a double layer hammock this weekend that has the dimensions of a Claytor. I added omnitape along both sides to attach a Speer-style bugnet. In Ed's book, he says to make the bugnet 24" wide. On my 5' wide hammock, I thought that would work pretty well, but I am concerned that a 24" bugnet might be too narrow for the 4' wide hammock. Should I add the 12" that are missing from the hammock to the bugnet?
    Definitely make up that 12", you might want to add to that. How high the ridgeline for the bugnet is above the hammock effects this as well. How wide are the bugnets on the Claytor hammocks?
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    if it's not wide enough you would notice the tightness at your feet when laying diagonal as they stick out the farthest, so it depends on how diagonal or inline you lay in your hammock as well.

Images
    I think the Claytor bugnets are 4' wide, i.e., the full width of the hammock. I've read here that people flip the hammock over when they do not want to use the bugnet.

I did not like the idea of a permanently attached bugnet because you always have to carry it with you, and I thought the removable bugnet would save some weight as it could be much narrower. I guess it can't be too much narrower, and you have the velcro to deal with on the removable one. There might even be a weight penalty because of the four velcro strips compared to one zipper.

What was I thinking? The obvious answer would have been to make two hammocks, one with net and one without!

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

...bug proofing my bed...

I finally got back into the sewing thing and bought a 60"x 84" sheer curtain at my local Dollar store for $5. With a bit of pinning for fit, trim here and there, a couple of hanger rings mid-way to hang it up off me, I now have my bug net sewn on my hammmock! Thanks to my searches on here and the info I found on making your own to help me figure it out. I ended up sewing it to one side and the ends, leaving one side open. I think this will work for me just fine, after a couple of trials in the backyard, maybe a tweek here and there. Thanks again...

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    "Leave one side open" HUMMMMMM??

That's a concept I hadn't thought of.

I'm piling up stuff for my next project and bought a 6 ft. zipper for the closure.

Please let us know how it works out, in a buggy location, without a zipper.

Thanks
    Tom

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

could work

see the pictures on Risk's site.

I've not done this myself, and will happily accept the weight of a zipper to close things off. Where I grew up, mosquitos carried babies off at night, so I have a healthy aversion to insects.

Oh-no had a net like this on his hammock at MAHHA last month.

Grizz

• + New Posts