Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    If you tend to have a cold lower half, I'd say go full length. Sometimes I have a heck of a time keeping that pad under my legs, even if I tuck it into the footbox of my TQ it just keeps popping out.

The bright side of all this is don't be afraid to try some different designs out. If there is a hang near you, that will give you the chance to look at some different set ups. If you buy something and you don't like it, you'll get nearly all your money back putting it up on the for sale forum. Quilts from the cottage vendors really keep their value.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I don't backpack but do motopack...kind of the same thing space wise and lighter IS better but not huge. The one area to space/weight splurge IMO is insulation and general comfort (within reason as other stuff is must bring too). That meant Hammock Gear 3 season Burrow (custom wide) and Incubator. Were I to do it all over again (might just too) the Incubator would even be custom wide. Cold sleeper that does not want to fiddle with pads, adjusting, and the feel of shock cording on the legs? That means Incubator in at least 3 season if not Winter (only you really know how cold you will camp and your comfort level) to me. I cut on other stuff to make that fit.

Love my HG stuff BTW!

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    3 season down to 30*F 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (cut down)

below that I use 1/4" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (cut down)
    I've been bringing an 1/8" gossamer gear thinlight doubled up, that i cut down along with the foam from my hh supershelter original which has i think some type of ocf. I've been experimenting since i've been doing alot of car camping this year and can afford to throw ounces and lbs. to the wind. When I backpack every item is under close scrutiny- back issues. So even tho I have this luxury now I won't then. Or I could just bring my friendly neighborhood sherpa...or maybe a llama .

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by imspiritgirl View Post
    I've been bringing an 1/8" gossamer gear thinlight doubled up, that i cut down along with the foam from my hh supershelter original which has i think some type of ocf. I've been experimenting since i've been doing alot of car camping this year and can afford to throw ounces and lbs. to the wind. When I backpack every item is under close scrutiny- back issues. So even tho I have this luxury now I won't then. Or I could just bring my friendly neighborhood sherpa...or maybe a llama .
    If you want I can send you my gear lists for all seasons. Just PM me your email address. OR you can check out my website I put my gear lists on video and discuss each item for summer and 3 season.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    I don't backpack but do motopack...kind of the same thing space wise and lighter IS better but not huge. The one area to space/weight splurge IMO is insulation and general comfort (within reason as other stuff is must bring too). That meant Hammock Gear 3 season Burrow (custom wide) and Incubator. Were I to do it all over again (might just too) the Incubator would even be custom wide. Cold sleeper that does not want to fiddle with pads, adjusting, and the feel of shock cording on the legs? That means Incubator in at least 3 season if not Winter (only you really know how cold you will camp and your comfort level) to me. I cut on other stuff to make that fit.

Love my HG stuff BTW!
    You know I keep going back to that with the full length but I want the weight of the partial.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post

It is hard to go wrong with the PeaPod on a traveler, but they are pricey. That's my wife's favorite combo.
    Maybe not all that pricy when compared to one long(assuming like me you needed long) TQ AND one full length long UQ. And not bad weight wise compared to those 2 also.

So why is it your wife's favorite combo? I won't be surprised if it is because she finds it easiest to stay warm!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    MT Washington 4 UQ... Zero degree capable, full length, 26 oz in 900fp

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    there are alot of great winter UQ out there

my top 3 are....

JRB MW4
    Hammockgear
    and the winter Yeti

there is a Hammockgear for sale now for $190 in the for sale section
    if your looking to go full length the MW4 is a very nice UQ ....
    the winter yeti is nice if you plan on doing only hiking
    and stormcrow will make your UQ to fit your needs...

no matter what one you pick it's a Win,Win
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A foot pad shifted in my hammock last night, plainly not the right one and not installed well; and I was awakened with the heat drained from the heel of one foot through compressed down, to the hammock bottom at 36F.

If automobile floor mats on the driver's side didn't come with a heavy-duty reinforcing piece to counter the heavy wear of the drivers's right heel at the accelerator pedal, it would be hard to believe cars would lose value because an owner altered the stock floor mat with reinforcement. Seems to me some courage is needed in this group to install grips of some in the hammock bottom, in the foot area, to fix a pad in place.

Snaps, hook-and-loop, whatever. User then mates a mat of whatever kind, thickness and size she likes with matching connectors. Even a big bladder filled with hot water. End of problem for partial UQs. Except for fear that the hammock is no longer "stock."

Until then, far in the future, full UQs, like JRB's (and Leighlo's, and......) , will be sweet.

Your favorite smilie implied at the appropriate locations.

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I love my hammockgear full uq. I used it twice last week down to 38f and it was so nice. It should go down much lower with no problem. I also have a three season yeti and really like it too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast