WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle

Winter UQ Help! I Just Don't Know!

I need a winter UQ and I just don't know which way to go. I like the weight and loft of the Winter Yeti but I'm not sure on the length yet. I love Brandons stuff and I know the workmanship is great. But then I don't think I can go wrong with any of the vendors in here. I know I'm looking for lots of downy goodness (I even like saying it)and a diff cut shell. I'm a cold sleeper and I already have a JRB nest which is fine for me for summer use. I have been really layering up (myself as well as my nest, ccf pads, emergency blanket and even my western mountaineering vb bag inside my 20* wm sleeping bag a couple of times) when the temp drops below mid thirties - twenties, not sure if I've been out in colder.
    That being said, I backpack (lightweight), car camp and I'm a gear head who tends to scrutinize the heck out of each potential gear choice. Grams, ounces, dollars.
    So I beleive its down to the HG Winter Incubator or if I go 3/4
    Winter Phoenix or the Warbonnet Winter Yeti or the Tewa Flurry.
    I don't mind having to fiddle a little but I'd prefer not to have to get out of my swinging lair of downy goodness when its freezing. I currently use a wbbb 1.1 dbl and 1.1 dbl traveler. Also I always carry a torso length ridge rest ccf for a sit pad.
    Please help me make a decision. I know many here have these quilts please chime in and those of you with experience with muti-items mentioned or different items not on list I'm all ears let me know what ya think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    You are right you cant really go wrong with any of the vendors here they all make great quilts with excellent reported results from all of them. But personally I like Hammock Gear's quilts. I like the channel suspension that runs through the quilt makes it very easily adjustable when in the hammock. The head and foot end of the UQ are also easily adjustable from within the hammock making venting easy. I find the Phoenix to be the perfect medium between a full length UQ and anything smaller. I am 6" and the Phoenix covers me from shoulders to a bit below mid calf. My sit pad covers me from mid calf to feet. I figure I carry a sit pad any ways why not get duel use out of it and leave the weight of the full length UQ at home. I am also a big fan of the newly designed Phoenix. It's wider in the shoulders and tapers towards the feet providing coverage where it needs to be. Now the Phoenix is going to weigh more then the Yeti but it is also going to provide more coverage so it really depends on how much coverage you are looking for? I have used my Phoenix and Incubator on a WBBB and Traveler with great success.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I own a Peapod, Nest, and Yeti. I have decided that my 3S set up will be an Incubator (on order) as I tend to sleep cold and my feet always tend to be the coldest at any time. The fiddle factor with the Yeti and keeping a pad under my feet never worked for me, although the Yeti itself is a fantastic piece of kit, and one that I take on winter hikes "just because". I used it last weekend as a drape over my back while in camp.

It is hard to go wrong with the PeaPod on a traveler, but they are pricey. That's my wife's favorite combo.

If I was going below 20 degrees I would probably go with some sort of layering with my available UQ's. Your mileage may vary since I am a cold sleeper.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I like my DIY 1/2-3/4 length. I based it around the Yeti and the Hammock Gear Winter Phoenix. No problems staying warm.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a yeti man. Got the 3 season down to 27*F when Brandon made them at 11.5oz and rated them to 30*F.

Got the Winter one down to 3*F but I was cool at that temp.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    It's a tough one, not sure I could choose again either

At least you know you'll be happy with which ever one you go for

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Thx folks, keep yer thoughts acoming, cuz I really want to pull the trigger on something. Did I mention I get really cold feet as well as core. That's why my thought is possibly of another full length- if I need more than my heavy smart wools and a sock type of vb- it doesn't work b/c I will make up the weight i'm dropping with having to carry more, ie; vb 3 oz, extra clothes ? ect. But if the other cold sleepers have been ok w just a ccf type of insulating then it would probably work for me as well. I'd like to lose the weight and be enveloped and toasty. Yeah I know what some will say- just get two and be done. Well I could save for two... but I'm trying to be good and I need to buy an xmas hammock for a loved one.

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm a yeti man. Got the 3 season down to 27*F when Brandon made them at 11.5oz and rated them to 30*F.

Got the Winter one down to 3*F but I was cool at that temp.
    What are you using for bottom/leg insulation?

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    3 season down to 30*F 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (cut down)

below that I use 1/4" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (cut down)
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Do you have a down jacket that you usually bring with you anyway? You can always wrap it around your feet, lay on it, etc. If you already have one and bring it, that's no additional weight and some extra downy goodness. (Just an option to consider) All of your choices for quilts look pretty darn solid, you won't be sorry any way you go. Also if you get one and decide it's not quite right for you, you can resell it here for nearly what you paid, so have some extra confidence in your decision!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast