Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension

Lou's Bridge

I've finished my test bridge hammock.

I've wanted to test one of these to see if I would like it. Mostly, because I want to use a pad instead of a UQ for trips that I might need to go to ground. I was kind of banana shaped, mostly because my test trees are not far enough apart. I will probably take the dog for a walk to the park to find a more suitable location.

I only hung it in for about 5 minutes. I did notice shoulder squeeze, more than I was expecting. The short hang was partly due to me hanging in Shell Gas station's backyard with my dog, but mostly because I didn't trust the dowels to hold.

And a little apprehensive of my suspension.

Hammock
    Wannabee- BB-like hammock
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq, Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings and
    The hammock looks nice. It does look like a short hanging distance - I hope you find it more comfortable when you get a chance to hang between good trees.

I can't tell what size the dowels are, but they look to be plenty strong to me.
    --Don---

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Ed Abbey

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    The dowels would be strong enough, it was my poor skill at drilling that I don't trust. I had to shorten the foot end dowel by 3" because I drilled out the side of the dowel. None of the holes are centered nor straight. I'm a bit nervous about the inserts not sitting in there snugly and putting more centralized pressure on them.

The trees are way too close. I had to double up the whoopie slings just to get it off of the ground.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I dig. Do you have a pattern or some dimensions?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    I dig. Do you have a pattern or some dimensions?
    No, I just kind of went off of TeeDee's design principles. I decided to use cord over straps because that is what I had on hand. I knew adding a bug net would be difficult with cord, but I think I have a good way around that issue. Also, this is a test hammock. The material is some polyester from WalMart, not sure what it is. If I like the hammock, I will make a field one with material I want to use and make some changes from what I learned while making this test one.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I used Grizz's setup with a 36" spreader bar and an arc of 53" between then the tips. The shoulder squeeze didn't bother me at first, the more I used it, the more it bothered me.

I took my first bridge hammock, which wasn't cosmetically elegant and sewed it up to eliminate 8 of the 53" and it was a lot more comfortable (45/36=1.25 ratio).

My next bridge will have a spreader of 39" and a ratio of 1.15. Do a search on chrysalis. I believe it's ratio was 1.07. BER has posted on the subject and has a nice table.

As the ratio approaches 1, the hammock becomes more shallow and less stable. You can calculate the shoulder squeeze angles using trig, but I won't go into it on typing with my iPhone. Also if you change the spreader bay you also have to change your suspension triangles.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglyde whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    The dowels would be strong enough, it was my poor skill at drilling that I don't trust. I had to shorten the foot end dowel by 3" because I drilled out the side of the dowel. None of the holes are centered nor straight. I'm a bit nervous about the inserts not sitting in there snugly and putting more centralized pressure on them.

The trees are way too close. I had to double up the whoopie slings just to get it off of the ground.
    I don't think you don't have to worry too much about the holes being centered on the dowels. The center dowel is there mostly to hold the dowel in place. All the force is places on the larger dowel so you should be good. Also watch out for that toggle. In the famous words of Shug "The know not the toggle". I like to take my tail and tie a loose half hitch back u the strap. Now I got Dutch Buckles and don't have to worry about it.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!