Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt

Terra Rosa Gear Prospecting Tarp

Hi All,
    thought I'd do a review of my new tarp from TRG, the Prospecting tarp.
    I'll preface this by saying that I do know Hitchhiking, but have nothing to do with TRG.

Overview
    My new tarp is a 3 by 2.95m rectangle, basically a square tarp. It is made from Spinnaker fabric, which I'm starting to prefer to silnylon. I find it easier to pack back into the stuffsack-silnylon always seems to want to escape. I don't think the spinnaker is listed on the site, but Hitch has access to quite a few colours. I chose black.

Construction
    This is my second TRG tarp, I had Hitchhiking make me up one for my Canadian trip a couple of years ago, which performed flawlessly. That tarp used grosgrain around the perimeter and nylon webbing tie outs.
    The new tarp has a standard rolled hem and uses triangular plastic things connected to the nylon tieouts. I don't know if there is any pitching or strength advantage to this new system, but it just looks cooler to me!

All the tieouts on the corners and ridgeline are reinforced with some kind of ripstop, looks pretty tough without adding any bulk.

The "panel pulls" for want of a better term have been redesigned on my new tarp and they seem very solid.

Sewing
    I checked the stitching on the seams, ridgeline and tieouts and they are all very clean- straight stitches with no loose threads left hanging. I have some other custom gear that doesn't have stitching this good!

Pitching
    I've only used this tarp as a standard A frame (with one end closed up, winter tarp style) and and a Wheelan Shelter so far, but I've got no doubt it would be great with any other configuration due to the numerous tieouts.

Weight
    Without seamsealing or guylines, mine weighs around 510g, which is a fine weight for such a massive tarp.

Conclusion
    Very, very happy with this new tarp. It's lighter than my previous tarp, even though it has more features, not sure how that works!
    Since my previous order, TRG now has nifty looking labels on the corner, not too eye catching, just a subtle touch.
    This is definitely becoming my default shelter choice for cold weather and extended rain.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben/TRG sil
    Insulation
    HG burrow/leighlo
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've just received my prospecting tarp too(sil nylon with cuben reinforcements) and Ill second this. Fantastic quality (as has always been with the few things hitchiking has made for me). I can't wait to put it through it's paces some more :-) I've also just ordered the wandering tarp for a friend.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Thanks for the write up Wentworth and for the pictures Bluegum Mic. Im extremely pleased that the kit is seeing use!

Cheers
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Nice shots Bluegum! I haven't seen the cuben tieouts before, the white looks great against the red. Hmm... always room for one more tarp. Canvas tarp with cuben reinforcements?

• + New Posts