Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

First hang tonight, low of 28 degrees

I am sooo excited. Got my JH today, did some sewing with wife using strapworks straps, biners, and cinch buckles. Got it set up, gonna require lotsa tweaking. We are headed out for a three day canoe trip 200 miles north this weekend. Expecting lotsa rain, so want to get some time in it before I am in the woods and isolated.

Put my thermarest in the bottom and foam pad of 30'" across the shoulders under the thermarest. I was amazed at how good it felt on my back when I laid down in it. Thanks to this forum, I am going to have a lot of trial and error resolved. I appreciate the work that everyone puts into this effort.

Off to the woods behind my house for my first night in the JH. First of many I hope.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Have a great time... I'm jealous about the canoe trip.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Welcome David! You should stay plenty warm and comfy with those pads in that Claytor! I'm jealous also, of your trip!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I am sooo excited. Got my JH today, did some sewing with wife using strapworks straps, biners, and cinch buckles. Got it set up, gonna require lotsa tweaking. We are headed out for a three day canoe trip 200 miles north this weekend. Expecting lotsa rain, so want to get some time in it before I am in the woods and isolated.

Put my thermarest in the bottom and foam pad of 30'" across the shoulders under the thermarest. I was amazed at how good it felt on my back when I laid down in it. Thanks to this forum, I am going to have a lot of trial and error resolved. I appreciate the work that everyone puts into this effort.

Off to the woods behind my house for my first night in the JH. First of many I hope.

David
    thats great,it only gets better neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Immediate modification

Initially I used a length of the stock Claytor nylon in the ends of the hammock. I eliminated them and went with about 18 inches of the strapworks material with loops into a biner which then attached to a looped strap with the cinch buckle. Much better. The stock stuff stretched a bunch.

Nice thing about canoeing is you don't have to worry about weight so much. A few biners don't really matter. I slept great! It was cold, I stayed warm and did not move much. On the ground I would have tossed and turned a whole lot over the course of a night. I was really impressed.

Looks like we may postpone that trip north, severe storms in forecast, lotsa rain and lightning 2 of the three days scheduled. I am going up again to the Pigeon river just south of the bridge (Mackinac) which flows into Lake Huron for a four day trip in three weeks. A group of guys I went to college with paddle during that time every year. This is our 31st annual trip. I am definitely gonna hang. The area has the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi, about 1500 head. Hope I don't get in the path of a rogue bull. Thanks again guys for the well wishes. I can tell you for sure that after just one night, I am convinced.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Initially I used a length of the stock Claytor nylon in the ends of the hammock. I eliminated them and went with about 18 inches of the strapworks material with loops into a biner which then attached to a looped strap with the cinch buckle. Much better. The stock stuff stretched a bunch.

Nice thing about canoeing is you don't have to worry about weight so much. A few biners don't really matter. I slept great! It was cold, I stayed warm and did not move much. On the ground I would have tossed and turned a whole lot over the course of a night. I was really impressed.

Looks like we may postpone that trip north, severe storms in forecast, lotsa rain and lightning 2 of the three days scheduled. I am going up again to the Pigeon river just south of the bridge (Mackinac) which flows into Lake Huron for a four day trip in three weeks. A group of guys I went to college with paddle during that time every year. This is our 31st annual trip. I am definitely gonna hang. The area has the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi, about 1500 head. Hope I don't get in the path of a rogue bull. Thanks again guys for the well wishes. I can tell you for sure that after just one night, I am convinced.

David

your right wieght not an issue paddleing.i kayak,my kayak dont mind a 50qt cooler,a folding table and chair,and every thing else i carry lol neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts