Anyone in Southern Cali- Orange County

Hi guys, I received the NX-250...i'm new to hammocking and will set it up for the first time this weekend(Oct 29th or Oct 30th). Would love to have someone who is familiar with this thing to assist and try. No overnight....just a couple hours for a look see, make sure everything is good to go. I have a weekend trip the following week. Nov 4-6th in the Sierra's and would like to make sure everything is working good. Please call 714-765-9438 if you are in the area, we can arrange a good time to meet. Thanks!

Howdy!

I'm in southern California, but also fairly new to using hammocks, so I don't think I'd be of much help. From looking at the hammock forums map, it looks like we might be the only dudes down here

The main thing I'd like to learn is how to stay warm in cold weather. Being in so Cal, we normally don't have to deal with that problem as often as most, but I'd really like to use the hammock in the winter and not have to go back to my tent. The cold weather setups seem to be either too complicated or expensive for newbies to easily get into.

I'm in a hiking group, and I think some of the members use hammocks... maybe some of them could give pointers.

SoCal Help

Hey, guys. I'm in the SoCal area. There's a few guys in OC/SD area. More in the LA area. Send me a PM if you have some specific questions about southern California and if I know anything about it, I'm willing to help. I'm new to hammocking but HF is great. Don't be afraid to ask questions about staying warm, set up, etc. to those outside of SoCal. Ask those with similar or identical gear about your set up and someone is always willing to help out.

SoCal Mike

Hi Guys,
    Most def. nice there are at least couple of you guys avail. I've spoken to one other guy on the phone in LA area too....few of us, but we can def. learn from each other. It gets pretty cold in the Sierras(freezing and snow). I'm heading to the Kern River Golden Wilderness Trail this next weekend in Nov. i'm all geared up and ready for the cold test. I have extra stuff to keep me warm in case i freeze my **s off.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome aboard! Definitely post your plans for staying warm... You'll get some good suggestions. That would avoid your "fun" trip turning into a survival mis-adventure.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Another dude from SoCal here! Welcome aboard!

I wanted to add, if you're looking for information on how to keep warm in a hammock you should really watch Shug's series of videos...linkylink here

Feel free to PM me as well for info or if you would like to explore the local mountains around So Cal (Angeles, San Gabriels, Los Padres, San Bernardinos, etc.)
    Last edited by mangus7175; 10-28-2011 at 18:35.

• + New Posts