Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The Glossary:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192

and Acronym:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216

articles do a pretty good job explaining terms, from what I can tell. The Manufacturer:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191

article would also be helpful for newbies. So are you guys looking for a sort of walk-through for beginning hammockers? Maybe a step-by-step of what gear you need, how to choose it, and how to use it once you've got it? I'm just curious. I personally would have loved to have had the links above when I was starting out, but I can see the need for some kind of well-written intro article, too.
    yep... i think a well written article that meets people where they are (see message 15 from this thread) with links like the ones you included above, inserted in the appropriate places, would help walk a person new to hammocking into a better understanding of the basics.
    people learn in different ways, so laying it out in a thoughtful way with pictures & maybe drawings would help some people get over the initial hump.
    some people may need that even before going, say, to jeff's site... which i think lays out the basics pretty good.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    hmmmmm....volunteers? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    hmmmmm....volunteers? BD
    if jeff & attroll think it's a good idea, i could give it a shot & let yall be the editors.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure - it'll be a work in progress and we'll keep adding to it and let it grow.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I'll be glad to help with editing (spelling, grammar, wording, drawings) if you need any help Slowhike.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    OK...here's a "newbie's" take on this thread. I found out about hammocks on the "Traildog" site. I was trying to figure out how I was going to fit my Newfie and my Corgi into my tent with my girlfriend and I. Someone mentioned hammocks and my ears perked up...so, I did a search and found Ed Spear's site. All was simple until I started to receive the daily posts from his board each day. Then the "minutiae" that Jeff talked about recently began to appear and I was "lost" because I really knew nothing about hammocks. After reading many, many posts, I found Jeff's site, exchanged several emails with him, and a lot of things cleared up. I think that if I had started at the "Newbie" section that is planned here and I realized that it's a good idea to start with a "simple" hammock and not worry about all of the "bells and whistles" that more experienced gearheads are writing about, I would have been less confused in the very beginning. BTW, I would suggest a little note saying "If you are new, read this section first". BTW, Jeff's site is an incredible resource and he is a "saint" to answer all of the questions that someone who knows nothing about hammocks asks. To make a long story short, I just received a "kit" from Ed and hope to sew it up with my girlfriend's help as soon as both of us have some time. After hanging in this first hammock, I've a hunch that much of the "minutiae" that is written about on this site will come into focus for me. In the meantime, I'll just be happy to have a hammock to hang in to start. BTW, I'd be happy to review anything written for this newbie section since that's what I am.
    Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Only one problem...I had a dream last night about a girl with a laser on her head...really. I have to stop reading this forum :^)
    Michael
    qpens

Images
    I think that is the reason I lucked out when I decided to start with the Hennessy Hammocks. They are pretty fool proof when compared to other hammocks. Although I still messed it up a few times.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I'll be glad to help with editing (spelling, grammar, wording, drawings) if you need any help Slowhike.
    thanks... i need all the help i can get<g>.
    i'll try to start something this weekend. ...tim

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    OK...here's a "newbie's" take on this thread. I found out about hammocks on the "Traildog" site. I was trying to figure out how I was going to fit my Newfie and my Corgi into my tent with my girlfriend and I. Someone mentioned hammocks and my ears perked up...so, I did a search and found Ed Spear's site. All was simple until I started to receive the daily posts from his board each day. Then the "minutiae" that Jeff talked about recently began to appear and I was "lost" because I really knew nothing about hammocks. After reading many, many posts, I found Jeff's site, exchanged several emails with him, and a lot of things cleared up. I think that if I had started at the "Newbie" section that is planned here and I realized that it's a good idea to start with a "simple" hammock and not worry about all of the "bells and whistles" that more experienced gearheads are writing about, I would have been less confused in the very beginning. BTW, I would suggest a little note saying "If you are new, read this section first". BTW, Jeff's site is an incredible resource and he is a "saint" to answer all of the questions that someone who knows nothing about hammocks asks. To make a long story short, I just received a "kit" from Ed and hope to sew it up with my girlfriend's help as soon as both of us have some time. After hanging in this first hammock, I've a hunch that much of the "minutiae" that is written about on this site will come into focus for me. In the meantime, I'll just be happy to have a hammock to hang in to start. BTW, I'd be happy to review anything written for this newbie section since that's what I am.
    Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Only one problem...I had a dream last night about a girl with a laser on her head...really. I have to stop reading this forum :^)
    Michael
    qpens

Once you start reading this forum and getting the "Hang" of things, it's like an addiction that is hard to kick. Happy hangin.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

is anything in the works for newbies? Someone else nailed it when they said this site is geared towards DIY types.
    I think Jeff has a great site as long as you had been hammocking before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast