Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Forum

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Thumbs up Newbie Forum

Need a forum for newbies trying to figure out how to get into the scene.

I have 3 hammocks and not a place to put them! One cotton one. Says it can hold a "VW Bug". One hanging weaved chair, and one canvas sling back with foot rest. I bought it and dont know where to put it.

Ok, forget all that because I know you are about different types of gear. I want to know what is required for hammock camping. I will probably be out by myself so where do I find info? The forums are a little thin here but the people seem really nice and informative.

I live in Northern VA and interested in 3 season camping. Where shall I start?

What kind of gear should I be looking for?
    What is a good setup and must haves to get out there for the first time?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
    Scott

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This forum is a little thin b/c it's only three months old! But you came to the right place. Here's what you need:

- Hammock suitable for camping. Canvas is heavy for backpacking, but could work if you keep it dry. Bug netting is a bonus.
    - Tarp. Something to put over you to keep the rain off. Most of us use silnylon b/c is light and packs well, but a regular Walmart tarp could work if it's big enough.
    - Insulation. For top insulation, a normal sleeping bag will work. But unlike ground camping, the wind blows under you and steals your heat. There are several ways to combat this...carry a pad just like ground camping, or use an underquilt, or get a sleeping bag that's big enough to fit around the hammock, etc. Once you understand the basics of how it works, it's really not difficult...just different. Rather than re-type the whole thing, just read this page.

That's really all you need. On this site (and others), we often get bogged down in the details because we're gearheads and we like talking about the intricacies of new ideas. You can ignore all that and do it the simple way...until you make your first piece of gear. Then we'll have you converted and there's no going back.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing your ideas and experiments on staying warm. And pics are always a plus.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Thanks

Good info thanks. I think I will actually go out and buy the proper gear to start with. Thats just the way I am.

Any suggestions on a good hammock and what are the price ranges for camping hammocks?

Scott

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Replied too soon. I saw your link and I should read that first. Now that I understand you have to make your own gear since this probably isn't a plentiful area of activity for retailers to carry camping hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Just Jeff has the best resource website for newbies.http://www.tothewoods.net/ It is either covered in the website or you can follow a link from his site to learn about everything you need to know to get started.

I think the easiest way for a new person to get started that already has a good sleeping bag is the Mosquito hammock sold by JacksRBetter. A basic pad and 20 degree bag will keep most people comfortable to the mid 20's. The double layer on this hammock holds a pad in place and eliminates the hassle of trying to manage the pad and bag at the same time. For my friends that want to try a hammock I always suggest this setup to start. All of them have been converted. This setup requires minimal investment and less hassle to stay warm over an equivalent HH setup IMO.

Also check out Sgt Rocks website. A couple years back this is the website I used to research hammock camping. http://hikinghq.net

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    also, on the home page for this site, you'll see a link to hammock manufacturers. welcome. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you only want to purchase, check out these links:

www.hennessyhammocks.com
    www.speerhammocks.com
    www.junglehammock.com
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    www.kickassquilts.com
    www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

You can buy everything you need to be warm in pretty much whatever temps you want to. Having a safe winter shelter is a bit different, but the temps aren't what limit the safety. So a three-season shelter is pretty easy to put together.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Ok, well I might just make my own hammock now...lol this article is great!

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Images
    Just be ready it starts with a hammock, then bug netting, then tarp, then snake skins, then a second set of snake skins for the tarp, then an underquilt. Well I haven't finished an underquilt or tarp, but I have a couple attempted ones.

If you get finished with this there is something out there called an alcohol stove.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

sdveirs, I'm in centreville if you want to see a setup
    I have (brand new yesterday) HH Hyperlight & JRB Nest, I'm no expert but you are welcome to check it out

I couldn't find anyone that carried camping hammocks in the area. Just checked out a friends

And I have an alcohol stove....no girls with frikkin lasers on their heads tho

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast