WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

Hammock Socks

I am thinking of getting a sock from papa smurf, but I can't decide which way to go. Uncoated version, or the winter sock version. I will be using the sock during the winter, and would see temps -5Fto5FF often, and on the rarer occassion down to -20F or up to 15F.

My main concern is condensation, is condensation an issue with the winter sock or does it still breath enough? I know the winter sock is more wind resistant than the uncoated cersion by a long shot.

I am leaning towards the winter sock, but if condensation can be an issue i think i might go with the uncoated one. Would love to hear any of your experiences regarding socks, positive or negative.

Thanks

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Joe over at Zpacks should be starting on my breathable cuben hammock sock within the week.

WaterMonkey (Raul) has one of PapaSmurfs coated hammock socks - he's only used it in warm weather so far but he mentioned using it at the upcoming NJ hang - you should be able to get some great feedback from WaterMonkey if you can wait.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I made a hammock sock out of 1.1 nylon (not sil). Used it last year at the NJ Winter hang where it got down to 13 degrees. My rig consisted of: tarp, hammock sock, TQ, poncho liner in between the layers of my WBBB, UQ. Result = warm with no condensation. This isn't to say that the winter sock doesn't have its place, I'm just informing you of my own experience and hope others can join in. I believe that, when you enclose your tarp in 'winter mode' - close the doors - you create a micro climate. Additionally, the sock does the same thing.

See what experiences Papasmurf has had.

I'm making a cover for my WBBB (similar to what Dutch made here) and will be using it in place of my sock in a just a few short weeks. The cover will be silnylon and I'm curious as to how it will breathe. Let us know what you find out.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Well - for anyone interested - after doing some more research and speaking with Joe (Zpacks) and Randy (PapaSmurf MyDIYgear.com) I've decided breathable cuben is not the way to go (for me anyway).

It's nearly 4 times more expensive and twice as heavy as M90 or M50 - and M90 will suit my needs just fine.

I've been waiting for some clear skies to shoot a little review video for my Zpacks Poncho-Hammock Tarp - and it'll be a few weeks before I get the hammock sock - but both reviews will be on their way ASAP for everyone's viewing pleasure.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    does anyone know approx how much extra heat the papa smurf winter sock can possibly add?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    does anyone know approx how much extra heat the papa smurf winter sock can possibly add?
    That's really rough to answer - I think the only safe answer (without rigorous testing) is that it depends on the user.

5* - 10* is probably a decent guess.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    That's really rough to answer - I think the only safe answer (without rigorous testing) is that it depends on the user.

5* - 10* is probably a decent guess.
    I'm sure each configuration will make a difference - weather conditions etc... holding back any wind is a big plus!

Images
    I use a burrito cover when hanging in extreme cold. The burrito is very breathable, heck you can see thru it.
    That said, I get condensation on the inside. If it's really cold out you will get frost on the inside of any cover.

In my experiments last winter I saw a 10 degree improvement from out side temp vs inside the hammock with no wind.

You can see the frost buildup on my burrito in the upper left side of this pict.

Even with the frost issue I really like using a top cover in extreme cold.

hth

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    wow! outandback! very nice temps love that little guy on the thermometer

i know when I added my poncho over a wbbb it got warm quick. never really tested in sub freezing temps.. but that poncho was not very breathable either :/

I'm guessing the condensation usually stays on the inside of the cover?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    wow! outandback! very nice temps love that little guy on the thermometer

i know when I added my poncho over a wbbb it got warm quick. never really tested in sub freezing temps.. but that poncho was not very breathable either :/

I'm guessing the condensation usually stays on the inside of the cover?
    Yes it does and you don't want to bump it or you will get a snow storm in your hammock, haha

It is amazing how quickly you can feel the area inside the hammock warm up when the top cover is on. For sub zero hanging I highly recommend one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast