Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    DemostiX, you're hurting my brain, haha.

From now on, just tell me what the lightest is. That's what ill use.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Before BER's measurement, those unfamiliar with the pair of products from NERopes would believe from the manufacturer-published specification that they differed in weight by .2kg per 100 meters = 200 grams = seven (7) oz.

Or, put another way, NE Ropes STS12-75 was twice the weight of NE Ropes Dynaglide. Or so the spec sheets' report.

No hanger would choose one over the other using a weight difference that large?
    Yes, I would choose the lighter one (even if bright green) as my goal is to push my own envelope to make the lightest bridge I can, to the specifications I like (dimensionally), while maintaining what I perceive as a reasonable level of safety. Although you have received some negative responses, I do see one benefit to your continued questioning of the specs: I elected to try the Endura-12 knowing that the weight may not be entirely accurate. And if all other specs were the same, the weights would likely be close, and weigh less than 7/64" amsteel. So if your goal was to have someone question the published specs, well done. Mission accomplished!

RE: Nominal sizes. Follow the thread, which I respected the OP to not interupt except to point out that another poster concerned with size had missed something important about mfg - labeling of cord with size: that it is nominal (and ordinal within product line) but not necessary accurate, and therefor not strictly comparable across product lines or across manufacturer. (As an example, Yale Cordage offers their Ultrex in "2mm" size. It is made of Dyneema and listed as weighing .16Kg / 100m, by far the lightest "2mm" Dyneema cord I've found. Until BER weighed 2mm STS12-75, I thought from my compilation of specs that it weighed twice as much as 2mm Ultrex.) Whether your suspension is of 2mm, 2.5mm,3mm or 4mm Dyneema / Spectra depends on the manufacturer and product line.
    As previously noted above, totally get where you are coming from. Hmmm...Yale Ultrex...do you have any? I might be interested in seeing some of that.

Further respecting OP's posting, I did not raise what could, by now, be an obvious question: You trust a manufacturer with its reports of breaking strength of cordage when it misreported the weights of both of the ones you are interested in, not by a little, and not in the same direction, but by large amounts not explained by rounding error at the level of reported precision?
    I do not completely trust a manufacture's strength rating per se, but then again I do not completely trust airline manufactures that their product will not fall out of the sky. However, the preponderence of observed experience would suggest that the majority of airplanes do not fall from the sky. And the preponderence of observed exprience here on HF is that Dynaglide is strong enough, at least up to a user weight of 200#, while maintaining an adequate safety margin. Is that margin truly 5x? Dunno, but I have yet to hear of anyone breaking dynaglide during use with hammocks. That being said, I will not be hanging my hammock over the edge of any cliff.

For the Endura-12, I do not have any prior experience, nor do I have other's experience to reassure me. I will be trying this on my bridge and will be sitting down very carefully the first time I use the hammock. I tend to hang low for a reason. I am not recommending to anyone else that they use this cord. If they choose to use it, they do so at their own risk.

Curiously, Samson's Zing-it 2.2 and Lash-it 2.2, both of Dyneema, are listed as weighing .24kg per 100/meters, different from .23kg for the NE Ropes products by no more than measurement error or what might be due to differences in coating. The listed breaking strength of Zing-It 2.2 and Lash-it 2.2 is 590lb.
    What is your explanation of these differences?

Finally:

There is nothing I would do with a length of STS12-75 but count the number of pics or crossing per length, because with the same quantity and quality of fiber, the construction of the cord affects its strength. Anyone can do that measurement in a minute without tools.
    It seems unfortunate to me that you are willing to put so much effort into questioning the listed specs, but are unwilling to take the time, yourself, to examine the cord or test them. "Anyone can do the measurement"...but it seems you don't want to do it. So why should we do it for you? And how often are you offered samples of 3 different cords for your inspection at no cost to you?

Consider the offer withdrawn. <shaking head>
    Last edited by BER; 10-30-2011 at 04:35.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    So which one is lighter? Has there been any further testing?

BER, Do you have any I could buy off you to do some testing myself? I'd love enough to do two 6' whoopies.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

FIMB--
    Weight was essentially the same. See first post.
    Used the Endura-12 on this bridge. It has been holding up fine. It will be used on the bridge I am working on now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123