Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs

Water-repellent shell on sleeping bag - disgusting sweaty mess?

Hey guys, since I missed that awesome sale on the RAB top quilt you all seem to have picked up and made me very jealous with I've decided to go on the hunt for a better top insulation than my terribly cumbersome Coleman 30deg bag (weighing in at a scant 6 lbs and only taking up my ENTIRE PACK!).

With only a $100 budget to work with I know I won't be able to find something that will be perfect (compact, warm, inexpensive - only two apply right?) but I found this sleeping bag for the right price and the rating is correct but I'm scared by this water-repellent shell it's boasting. It says it's made from Polyamide - how breathable do you think this will be? Does anyone have experience with this fabric?

Also, if anyone knows of a cheap top quilt that'll get me through 3-seasons I'm all ears but the reason I'm going sleeping bag is because I'll probably be using it for both backpacking and for cabin/car camping and I'm basically looking for a new workhorse. So, sorry for the long rambling post and any advice you guys have is, always, appreciated.
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've nearly been lured by similar bags several times, especially from Sierra Trading Post. I don't think the Lafuma bags are junk but the reviews aren't terribly kind. I think their temp ratings are pretty optimistic.

For the same money you can probably pick up a really nice secondhand bag/quilt here or ebay. I managed to pick up a brand new Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 30F bag on ebay last year for $57 delivered (around $200 new). If you're patient then a good deal will come along.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Joehasbeard asks
    " It says it's made from Polyamide - how breathable do you think this will be? Does anyone have experience with this fabric?"

Nylon is one polyamide.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-30-2011 at 10:51. Reason: quote

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    You should look into the Kelty Cosmic Down sleeping bag. I picked one of those up for about $100...I think you can get them on campmor.com for around $80 or $90. It's about the same weight but is rated lower. I've tent camped with mine with lows in the 30's with just some cheap long underwear and was totally fine. I personally think the bag is a great value, and I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here before.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43185
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Forgot to say that I did purchase an e-vent dry compression sack to go with it. The bag comes with a fairly small stuff sack, but with the compression sack I can get it pretty small.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard View Post
    Hey guys, since I missed that awesome sale on the RAB top quilt you all seem to have picked up and made me very jealous with I've decided to go on the hunt for a better top insulation than my terribly cumbersome Coleman 30deg bag (weighing in at a scant 6 lbs and only taking up my ENTIRE PACK!).

With only a $100 budget to work with I know I won't be able to find something that will be perfect (compact, warm, inexpensive - only two apply right?) but I found this sleeping bag for the right price and the rating is correct but I'm scared by this water-repellent shell it's boasting. It says it's made from Polyamide - how breathable do you think this will be? Does anyone have experience with this fabric?

Also, if anyone knows of a cheap top quilt that'll get me through 3-seasons I'm all ears but the reason I'm going sleeping bag is because I'll probably be using it for both backpacking and for cabin/car camping and I'm basically looking for a new workhorse. So, sorry for the long rambling post and any advice you guys have is, always, appreciated.
    if you sew you can make a nice Synth TQ thats wide... that way it will work for all your needs would cost under $100 to make something like that
    $15x3 for Climashield 5oz good to 30F -$45
    5 yards 1.1 ripstop from DIY around $4 a yard -$20
    + odds and ends say $10
    so around $75 + the shipping.....

i just got my power back on from the snow storm.... i started typing this 4 hours ago HAHAHAHHA
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    You should look into the Kelty Cosmic Down sleeping bag

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43185

Funny you mention that, I had two bags picked out to choose between, one was the Lafuma, the other, Kelty.

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    if you sew you can make a nice Synth TQ thats wide...
    Ah, yes, if I could sew. I'm probably gonna get a "thread-injector" for Christmas but who knows how long it'll take for my skills to improve to the TQ level y'know? Although the idea is enticing...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I like zukiguy's suggestion of looking on the forums and maybe ebay (or craigslist). Think it's time to make a post in WTB

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Wool, ordinary wool, in one or multiple layers, doesn't get its due here as a local insulator and climate regulator. Silk and synth silk sometimes do.
    Need 10F more than your quilt or bag delivers? Wear a light wool sweater. Get up dawn and wear it for the next hours, too. Itches? Wear that synth under it for even more temp regulation.

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    love the wool sweater idea. I'm a big fan of hitting up the thrift shops around here (and there are plenty) for gear on the cheap. Got a nylon rain jacket for 3 bucks over the summer. Wool-hunting season has begun!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    When you say "3-season", what sort of lows are you looking at? If it's 40 F or above, I definitely recommend a poncho liner as a topquilt.

Relatively light (~22 oz) and really comfortable, they can be had at your local Army/Navy store for the $20-$30 range.

Simply tie the foot-end ties together for a footbox, and you're good to go down to around 40 with light supplemental clothing (a long-sleeve and some lightweight pants), and decent bottom insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast