Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    Wags got a cuben upper 0* UQ from HG and it was 21oz on my scale, same as listed weight basically for a non cuben. My personal preference is not to use cuben in an UQ. I had one briefly and found that it did not feel that it worked as well as a non cuben inner. Not that I really had a cold spot or something, but just cold in general, not the reflected back heat feeling I get with other quilts. YMMV but it was enough that I returned it. It was cool looking though, and others have had a better go of it.

As tarps go, I have a cuben tarp and I love that I get more coverage for less weight. I have yet to test long term durability, but some data I see out there makes me concerned in that department. I wouldn't trade my cuben away now, but if I had it to do over, I would probably spend that money elsewhere and stuck with my sil tarp. The weight difference I could compensate for by doing a little heavier leg workout in the gym

While I'm a fan, I'm also worried about the durability of it as far as a tarp application. While at the ohio hang there were stories about acorns falling and putting holes in a cuben tarp.. I immediately thought, what's the point of shelter if it's so delicate it can't deflect an acorn? I need lightweight DURABILITY for most of my gear that's not sleep gear. While I'm very impressed with the weight of it and the waterproofness (and I actually like the transluscence) I've also heard the mylar (the cuben fiber is bonded by mylar as I understand it, so it's really a bunch of fibers on/part of a sheet of mylar) breaks down over time.. How long is what I'm itching to find out. $400 is a lot for a piece of gear that'll only last a few seasons.

But as of now, they're getting good marks. Fella's did an overnight here in ohio and got some good winds and reports were all good so as far as right now, it's a pinnacle fabric for backpackers.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    As tarps go, I have a cuben tarp and I love that I get more coverage for less weight. I have yet to test long term durability, but some data I see out there makes me concerned in that department. I wouldn't trade my cuben away now, but if I had it to do over, I would probably spend that money elsewhere and stuck with my sil tarp. The weight difference I could compensate for by doing a little heavier leg workout in the gym
    Amen to that. I'm gonna get a 4-season Cuben tarp eventually 'cause I love full coverage and you can get one at 9.5 oz or less. However, I've spent serious time in the gym working out and my load seems to have lightened considerably! My legs used to take three days to recover from a two-day 20-mile hike, and now, I have no recovery time whatsoever.

I'm 52 years old with a rebuilt knee, but I find that playing full-court pickup basketball is an absolutely incredible exercise for increasing trail stamina. Must be something about the change in direction that strengthens the legs.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    for me it is good to have light gear when you are over 40 and also for getting on overseas flights with only a carry on luggage which is nowadays limited at 7kg... my cf tarp is 4.7oz
    Last edited by kobold; 01-19-2012 at 10:04.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Amen to that. I'm gonna get a 4-season Cuben tarp eventually 'cause I love full coverage and you can get one at 9.5 oz or less. However, I've spent serious time in the gym working out and my load seems to have lightened considerably! My legs used to take three days to recover from a two-day 20-mile hike, and now, I have no recovery time whatsoever.

I'm 52 years old with a rebuilt knee, but I find that playing full-court pickup basketball is an absolutely incredible exercise for increasing trail stamina. Must be something about the change in direction that strengthens the legs.
    Absolutely. The stabilizer muscles in your legs are what really get worn down by long hikes, in my experience. While I bike moderate distances (~35 miles every other day is what I'm trying to get back into), the first day on the trail stresses all of the muscles in my legs, since it's a weight-bearing exercise rather than a simple motion one. By day three, all of that fatigue is gone; I can only theorize that it's my stabilizers, since the major muscles in my legs get a good workout on the bike.

As to cuben, I'd really like to try it for a large tarp at some point, but, honestly, it's easier for me at this point to lose twenty pounds around my middle than five from my pack. I just need to get out there more, and it isn't going to cost me anything but time and discipline.

Hopefully, at some point, I will have reached the financial and physical point where spending ~$1,000 to lose five pounds from my pack will be a break-even point for me. It isn't going to happen this year, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234