DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Well done BC. Working on one ofthese right now and getting it to fit is a challenge but yours came out great. Very cool overhead shot of your spaceship
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Interesting concept-I am curious, if you use a cover like this in freezing weather-does condensation freeze on the inside of the cover?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Nice job. It does look like a jet from above

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I may have to give this a try. I used my Dri Duks poncho one time, not a perfect fit, but did the job.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Knotty, thanks, and yes it stays aligned very well, it doesn't move at all. I did however notice something when inside. I forgot that in the Blackbird you have a foot box, at the foot box area when my feet are in it the bug netting pulls down slightly away from the cover about 1"-2". I found a couple things to fix this, one, a simple extra small binder clip. The second/third would be to add a small amount of material to that area of the cover or add a small piece of hook & loop to the hammocks grosgrain and the cover. Since the binder clip works, that will be my solution for now, but I see that small gap as a breather hole also. Everywhere else it stays nicely against the bug net, even where my head lays.

ShadowAlpha, Thank you.

hang10, yes we get snow here. Matter of fact we had around an inch or so the day before I shot this, which would have been Sat. Anyway, it pitches pretty tight now, but I won't be using this cover for protection of snow or rain. It's made of breathable ripstop and more for just in case in the spring and fall when temps can vary. I believe that if I was inside there would be some heat generated and the cover would be a little warm. So any first snow would more than likely start to melt possibly seeping through until it froze?

DemostiX, thanks for that info. That pretty much makes me feel allot better about taking it for what I made it for, Spring & Fall, maybe even summer.

raiffnuke, unfortunately no, I did not. It was kind of a seat of the pants project.

Thanks Syb, and good luck with your cockpit cover. Make sure you give the foot box side a little more fabric. I forgot about this, but when you get in and your feet are in the foot box, it pulls the hammock slightly down and away from the cover. It's not allot, but it does allow a small gap at the foot end between the cover and bug net when your in it. Course that would allow a little more air movement.

Soundman, I would assume that if enough gathers, yes it would. I made this more for Srping & Fall when temps don't quite reach freezing. I'm going to work on something a little different for winter though. I'll post that up when I get done.

Loneoak, thanks, makes me feel like I should be putting on a pilots helmet and goggles when climbing it.

My method of getting it to fit.

First thing I did was hang the blackbird with structural ridge line tight & take some measurements. Next lay it out as flat as I could centered with the netting down on top of my fabric. I then measured all the points & compared them to the setup measurements to make sure I wasn't way off, then stretched the netting out making sure it stayed centered on my fabric, and measured again. That stretched measurement would be my max. After that I measured 3" out on one side at the wing tie outs from the stretched measurements, 5" at the gathered ends. At the gathered end points I measured 1" from the center point to allow a 2" straight line across. That blunt end would be for hook & loop. After that I ran a straight edge from each gathered 1" stand off point out to the measured tie out points and drew a straight line. Basically from the head end I drew a straight line from the edge of the blunt point to the nearest tie out point, then from the foot end to its nearest tie out point. Last I drew a straight line between each tie out point. Next I folded the material in half, pinned, and cut. I hung the blackbird with its structural ridge line tight and test fitted the cover. I pinned the cover to the hammock at the gathered ends to keep it in place. Next was getting the curve's. For this I left the cover temporally pinned to the hammock. Find the center between the gathered end and one of the tie out points. Fold that material back at the center point toward the netting leaving enough for your hem and pin it. Do the same for the other curve. Take the cover off and lay it out flat with the fabric still pinned. That pined area makes somewhat of a curve to trace out and follow, make your curve marks, unpin, fold it in half again and cut out the curves. Test fit, then off to the sewing machine and hem away. Last thing is test fit, find where you want your hook & loop and sew them on.

That's it, I'm sure there is an easier way. But yesterday morning this was the only way I could figure out how to get it done, and it worked.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I never take mine off except on the hottest nights I don't have any trouble with condensation.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Very cool.... Now that I have a BB, Thanks Bloomgorge.... I might start looking at all the mods I can do.... WOOT!!!!!!!!
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12