Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

How to start?

I'm a long time backpacker and have never used a hammock but it just makes so much sense! I backpack in New York, which means lots of hills and plenty of trees to hang a hammock on. I just finished section hiking the Finger Lakes Trail, which goes from Allegany to the Catskills.

I'm sure different preferences have led to a lot of opinions about which hammocks people like. I've been doing research on all the makes and models and modifications and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information out there. I'm really struggling with a choice because a) I've always been a strong side sleeper and b) I'm not looking to break the bank on an initial set up. There isn't much in the way of local camping stores so I can't try them out first either. I also can't figure out if I want to get something commercial like a Clark or Hennessy, or piece together a hammock, tarp and bug net. I'm handy enough, especially with some instructions, but I don't have much free time. I have no inclination at this point to do any winter camping, so a three-season set up would be fine. I'm 6' and 170 lbs. if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's conflicting.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from Canada! I have a few setups myself but I found my best approach was to spend a little time researching and piece together a sytem. It may be from the same vendor but I found understanding my needs and filling this with appropriate gear was a bit more expensive than i wanted (especially to start) but was worth it.
    However, I have friends who have started with a Grand Trunk UL from Amazon for under $20 and simply added a few pieces through vendor sales and sales on HF to piece together a great setup.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I'm a long time backpacker and have never used a hammock but it just makes so much sense! I backpack in New York, which means lots of hills and plenty of trees to hang a hammock on. I just finished section hiking the Finger Lakes Trail, which goes from Allegany to the Catskills.

I'm sure different preferences have led to a lot of opinions about which hammocks people like. I've been doing research on all the makes and models and modifications and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information out there. I'm really struggling with a choice because a) I've always been a strong side sleeper and b) I'm not looking to break the bank on an initial set up. There isn't much in the way of local camping stores so I can't try them out first either. I also can't figure out if I want to get something commercial like a Clark or Hennessy, or piece together a hammock, tarp and bug net. I'm handy enough, especially with some instructions, but I don't have much free time. I have no inclination at this point to do any winter camping, so a three-season set up would be fine. I'm 6' and 170 lbs. if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's conflicting.

Welcome to the madness. Check out Shug's videos and if you want check out my site as well I put together a break down of hammock camping in various areas:

www.watermonkey.net

my best,

Raul
    (Water Monkey)
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    GT UL/HH
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Hideout UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    +1 on checking out Shug's videos. And you can't go wrong trying the Grand Trunk Ultralight initially. The price point is perfect for someone just checking them out. Be aware, some larger members here have found issues with the GT UL tho. I am 6'1" and have had no problems personally. Welcome to HF and good luck finding that perfect hang, once you do you won't go back to the ground... Except maybe for nostalgic reasons.

Hammock
    ENO-HH-Gatherd
    Tarp
    http://www.hammock
    Suspension
    Rings-webbing
    Suspension: For me, I’ve found that webbing and rings will rise to any occasion in my area (outside Rochester NY). Fairly light, easily adjustable, No length limit, and can be quickly transferred from hammock to hammock.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
    01 R1
    01 CBR929
    08DRZSM
    07BMW F650GS
    92 DR650 24-7 365
    03 KTM 450EXC

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    What they said!

Welcome aboard!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Sounds like you have the winter to do some investigation before making a "Final" decision. Might as well start with the knowledge that nothing involving hammocks is "Final". Enjoy the fun!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can also check to see if anyone is hammock camping in your area, there is a map of people's locations, to see if you could check out their setup.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WBO Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Straps / whoopies
    Images
    I'm a side sleeper as well and have wondered what hammock is best for us. I'm guessing a flat lay style bridge hammock. Any thoughts on that part of his question.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast