Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings

Tarp tensioners: two or four?

Hi,

I have been considering making some tarp tensioners based on the instructions at JustJeff's site. My tarp (from a Claytor Jungle Hammock and Fly) has four tie-outs. I am aware of the safety risk from flying tentpegs when tarp tensioners are used.

My question is, should I use two or four tarp tensioners? If I use only two, should they be on the tarp ridgeline, or the pegged lines? I think if only two are required then they could go on the ridgeline. As long as the pegged lines pull down then the tensioners should compensate for stretch in either direction.

Comments please.

Thanks,

A

Images
    The ridgeline that ties off between two trees has too much tension on it for tarp tensioners. I put tensioners on all the tie outs that stake to the ground. Remember when you are putting stakes in and taking them out that the tensioners are loaded sling shots that are aimed at the tarp... stand on the other side of that sling shot when you are messing with the stakes by keeping the stake between you and the tarp.
    Youngblood AT2000

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The ridgeline that ties off between two trees has too much tension on it for tarp tensioners.
    Is this something you've deduced over time or a one-shot deal? I've tested my tensioners on my ridgeline tieouts and they've held fine the 2 times I've used them.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    I use a single tensioner on my ridgeline tieouts and have never had a failure. I'm not sure why you would need to use 2 on what amounts to the same line.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    I'm with Youngblood on the staight line on ridge tie out but for a different reason.... the tensioners require more distance between the end of the tarp ridge and the trees.... thus one must pick trees 12-20 inches further apart....When closer trees are available all is better as less line is out and less suspension is exposed to rain... plus there is less suspension stretch.

And i agree STLs are not needed on the ridge tie outs if adequate STLs are used on the down tie outs, in the first place.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

WTH, I'll give it a shot then. Less to fuss with.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    Thanks for this information. In my case I have made two tensioners, and installed them on the 'down' tie-outs. For the ridge line I have tried to make a 'quick' fastening system. I will try to describe it here, and then post photos when I have some.

Basically it is a similar arrangement to the ringbuckle system, but it's like a standard cord adjustment that you would use on a guyline to a tent peg. My thought was that ideally you'd like to be able to adjust the ridgeline in the same way as the other lines, with the tree taking the place of the tent peg. Unfortunately, the girth of the tree is greater than a tent peg, plus the typical adjusters on a guy line make a loop that hooks over the top of the peg- and you can't do that over a tree.

Instead, I have set things up "in reverse". A metal ring attached to the tie-out on the tarp takes the place of the tent peg. The adjustable guy line then goes through the ring. Using a metal ring allows the line to glide easier than just cord-on-cord. The free end has a small metal hook (which is actually like a miniature wire-gate 'biner). The free end wraps around the tree, the hook clips over the line (like the full-size 'biner on the ring buckle system) then the guy line adjuster takes up the slack.

Here is some poor ASCII art to illustrate it:

TAB]--O======^-------J=O)

The TAB is the tie-out tab on the tarp.
    The first O is the metal ring (think of it as the tent peg)
    The == shows the double line to the adjuster
    The ^ is the adjuster (I am using miniature line-loks)
    The -- is the free end (normally this is tied to the tent)
    J is the hook, then the second O is the tree.

I hope it's not too confusing. I will let you know how it works in practice...

A

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    STLs go on the guyouts, not the ridgeline. If the guyouts stay under tension, the ridgeline will, too. Think about it.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    STLs go on the guyouts, not the ridgeline. If the guyouts stay under tension, the ridgeline will, too. Think about it.
    this is true.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts