Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Wilderness Logics Night Owl Part 1

This review is part one...the basement hang. The extra length of the NO made it a tad difficult to hang between the steel posts in my basement (where my GT single lives) but I managed to do it. Part two will be from a test hang this weekend in my yard which has plenty of trees to try with varying distances.

Sadly my experience in different hammocks is limited to a GT single and a HH Explorer but hopefully you will find this worthwhile.

First, the construction. The black ripstop nylon has a great feel to it; sturdy without being stiff....heavier than my GT without the stretch but lighter than the HH. As others have mentioned about WL products, the stitching is top notch. The opening for the pad and the drawstrings are supported by boxes with the X across them. There are no loose threads or extra bits of thread hanging about....it is all nice and clean.

As a place to start I set my ridge line at 103" (I think that is where Flatline set his...or maybe it was 108") which is about as long as I can go in the confinements of my basement. With the ridge set, I hung it up with the included whoopies.....first time using whoopies, you guys are right those things rock! After making sure my suspension was secure I climbed into my new NO.
    Here's where it gets kind of weird....my body slid into the sweet spot. No kidding around at all. I did not fidget, twist, push off center....none of that at all. As soon as I laid back I sank right to the bottom in a really flat position....feet right, head left.

I tightened the shock cords to create the "head and foot boxes" and it improved my position a bit by making "pouches" at either end. Because of the very short hang distance I could not rig it perfectly so my head was fairly close to the edge on the left and on my right a bit of a wall of fabric but not so much as to be annoying at all. I think once I get it spread out a bit and fiddle with the ridge line length it will get even better.

There is absolutely no shoulder squeeze or calf pressure...there is a nice large flat area to lay!

So next, I grabbed a pad, put it between the layers, tossed my sleeping bag in and got back into my hammock....and slid right back into position. Don't get me wrong, I like my GT and the HH is great but this thing is crazy! The position is FLAT! I rolled over on my side and it was like being on a mattress, only better of course. In fact, after telling my wife I would only be a few minutes , I quickly fell asleep (well it was 10pm) until the bellowing, I mean the melifluous calling of my name woke me around 11pm...so much for a few minutes.

Let me know what questions you have...be happy to answer. With review part two, the backyard hang, I will include some pictures of my NO and of a nifty little fleece UQ that my neighbor stitched together for me. I used it on my GT a few weeks ago....will test it on my NO.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    did you add your own RL or did it come with one?
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Added my own ridge line....I use a piece of heavy cord on my GT but for this one ordered an adjustable SRL from whoopie slings.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    This is a very encouraging post, my Lite Owl has been ordered after having problems with WBBB calf ridge and knee pain

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NT View Post
    This is a very encouraging post, my Lite Owl has been ordered after having problems with WBBB calf ridge and knee pain
    If you experience anything like that with the LO I would be very surprised. There is no center ridge when lying on the bias. Just a great flat area. Be sure to let us know how it works for you.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    hey Campdavid,
    great review, i'm glad you are enjoying the comforts of the NO! crazy is a very good expletive for the comfort.
    the additional length does take a moment to dial in hang points.
    i have settled my srl at 110" (outside of "fist" to outside of "fist") i'm 6'1" 210ish. your mileage may vary.
    we looking forward to your first hang report, happy hanging.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    hey Campdavid,
    great review, i'm glad you are enjoying the comforts of the NO! crazy is a very good expletive for the comfort.
    the additional length does take a moment to dial in hang points.
    i have settled my srl at 110" (outside of "fist" to outside of "fist") i'm 6'1" 210ish. your mileage may vary.
    we looking forward to your first hang report, happy hanging.
    Thanks for the reply Flatline....I will definitely try different SRL lengths. Now that I decided to drink the Kool-aid and get a whoopie adjustable ridgeline making adjustments is soooo easy. No more tying and re-tying.

In order to keep my GT and NO both hanging in the man cave I am going to rearrange stuff and shoot a support into the concrete wall so I can hang from the wall to the post and keep the GT post to post. I have one of those nailers with th .22 caliber charge that I am always looking for an excuse to use...looks like I found one.

Oh and speaking of drinking the Kool-aid, I just mentioned to my wife that a "thread injector" would make a nice Christmas gift.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Okay Flatline I have mine dialed in to 110" from where the whoopie is attached at each end. I am 5'10" and 180 ish. The length change made a nice little improvement to the already very comfy position.

Here is something interesting....my eleven year old daughter asked if she could try it...I relented and she climbed in. Now keep in mind she does not know anything about anything about lying on a diagonal in order to lay flat but when she laid down in it, she settled right into position just like I have. Once again, this thing is crazy.....it causes you to slide right into position.

Please know that I have absolutely no affiliation with WL....sadly I am a native Chicago guy and have only been to NC a few times on business.....that is the brick manufacturing business....no textiles or outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    sweet... now you have a built in hangin'buddy!
    i, also, am not affiliated with WL but i really like their (last a lifetime) quality!
    Last edited by flatline; 11-01-2011 at 21:24.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Is it the length of the hammock that makes it so good?

Hi CampDavid,

Have read your review with keen interest I was wondering do you think it's the extra length of the owl hammocks that is helping to make it so comfortable

I'm guessing that the owl series of hammocks is the longest of the commercially available hiking/camping hammocks. Perhaps length is the key to building a better hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast