Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    I gave up whoopies a while ago for UCR's. I hated having nearly double the line and adjusting whoopies under tension was a PITA compared to using UCRs. I'm intrigued by this thread though as I've started to revert back to "simpler is better". Maybe I need to give the buckles another try.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Shug is right, tho. Whoopie sling is much more fun to say.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went from the standard WB strap suspension to whoopies. I found the whoopies made it quicker to adjust to get the right angle and foot elevation than the straps. They end up being less bulky in the bishop sack and allow me to more easily set up my hammock under my tarp if I have to set up in the rain.

For spikes for the marlin hitch I just use some sturdy sticks found on site. Hasn't failed me yet and is less to carry.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Been using rings and straps on my GT Single for a long time. Just got a WL Night Owl which has whoopies standard.....used it this weekend.....today I ordered continuous loops with rings attached from whooplieslings.com so I can convert it.

The whoopies are nice and all but rings and straps are way easier to set up and adjust...as least as far as I am concerned....YMMV

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Whoopie! Cinch! Whoopie! Cinch!

I think if there was a different word than Cinch (i.e. Cinchie!) it would more popular.

Actually I've never tried a Cinch Buckle...no time like the present but since I usually backpack, lower weight is what I'm after...assume it's the Whoopie but I guess I'll have to set up a Cinch and weigh it. Need something to do I guess.

I know..
    ATVing - CInch buckle
    Backpacking - WHoopie.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Thanks for all the input, now: Best/Cheapest place to buy the polyester straps and cinch buckles? The person who comes up with the cheapest wins the satisfaction of helping a fellow hammocker!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flashbang009 View Post
    Thanks for all the input, now: Best/Cheapest place to buy the polyester straps and cinch buckles? The person who comes up with the cheapest wins the satisfaction of helping a fellow hammocker!
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/acces.php

20 bones.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I went back to buckles/straps. Sewed a Dutch clip on the end of the straps. Much better system for me.
    Same here....I tried the whoopies but went back to the simplicity of the straps and buckles. I wound up leaving one of my tree straps still attached to the tree once when using whoopies and I found it difficult to adjust the whoopies once there was weight in the hammock. (sleeping bag, clothes etc.) Heck, I even adjusted my wife's hammock with her in it using the strap/buckle system. Try that with whoopies.

Worth the weight to me. I guess it's the same mentality that makes carrying a full length UQ worth it for me.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    My solution?

Two hammocks: one with whoopies, one with buckles. I love DIY-ness!

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I love webbing and buckles.

I used whoopies for a while and didn't particularly like the extra fiddling needed with them, but what really set me over the edge was the "shortest minimum hang" with whoopies is much longer than with webbing.

Basically, with webbing, you can hang from trees that are virtually as close together as your hammock is long (plus the length of the chainlinks and buckles). So, for an 8 foot long hammock, you can hang between trees that are 8 feet 6 inches apart.

With whoopies, you need to be able to tie a MSH in the webbing at the trees so that adds a couple of inches due to not being to snug right up to the tree with your hitch. Then, you have your actual minimum whoopie length (which for my DIY whoopies was 23 inches per whoopie). This means that your minimum distance between trees needed for whoopie slings for the same 8 foot hammock is 8 feet for the hammock + 23 inches per whoopie + a couple of inches for the MSH at each tree = 12 feet 6 inches as your minimum hang distance with whoopies.

I ran into a situation where the only trees available were 9-10 feet apart. I ended up having to double the whoopies over and adjust that way (luckily I had Dutch biners and was able to clip the adjustable eye into the biner and then slip the doubled over whoopie onto the toggle, but it was just a headache as we had night hiked in.

PM me and I can send you a pair of buckles and chainlinks for the cost of postage to get them to you if you'd like to try them out.

I like the whoopies better. i can set my straps and then set the whoopies with one hand while keeping every thing off the ground with the other. as far as minimum hanging, you can hang as close to the tree as you like. set your straps up with the MSH wrapped around the tree so that your toggle sit at the front plane, or to the side of the tree just behind the side where will hang your hammock. if you have a short loop on your hammock, you loop that over your toggle and the end of the hammock could be touching the trees. this could give a shorter hanging distance than straps and buckles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast