SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Thanks Dejoha! Looks great but it looks like it could get tight. When you have both hammocks hung fron the same trees and they are set up side by side do you end up bumping each other all night?

Im sure the ideal set up would be to have both hammocks anchored to the same tree on one end and then to two separate trees that are close together on the other end so they both have their own space but that obviously cant always happen.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you look at the Vertex it's basically 2 gathered end hammocks tied together at the foot end and joined by a sheet of fabric in the middle. Of course there are the extras such as the bugnet and weather shield that fully enclose it all together and a small child could possibly even sleep on the middle section as Clark rates that safe for 200 lbs.

With that in mind it wouldn't be terribly difficult to DIY your own version, for much less than the $540 price tag.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'll admit that the close hangs with my kids are bit clostrophobic and tight. Well, tight for me. The kids were fine (I was the hammock on the bottom and the hammock above had only inches of clearance). It can be nice and warm though.

One of the best two-hammock hangs was with two trees. Both hammock were secured to the trunk of one tree. The other tree had low branches that split and allows the hammocks to "V" just perfectly. It was so perfect: close enough to share a smallish tarp, but far enough away so we didn't collide.

Site selection and experimentation. When I'm with my kids, I can just mash all of us together. With a large tarp, it's kind of fun. I did a father/sons trek and had three hammocks all crammed under a tarp. In the morning, we were sitting, two in one hammock, and one in the other hammocks and cooked breakfast on the ground between us. It was fun.

A few weeks ago I went out with my daughter and we found a great spot on a sloping hillside (I love locations that are just horrid for anything but hammocks!), nestled in a grove of small pine trees. I thought we had perfect tree spacing, but then realized that my MacCat tarp wasn't big enough (I usually bring larger tarps when I know I'm bunking two hammocks under one tarp). Since it was cold, We had the tarp low and tight so my only option to maintain the wind break was to stack the hammocks, but being so tight and low, I had to be pretty close to the other hammock. It was bunk style, but close.

What worked well was that I slept on the opposite diagonal as my daughter so we criss-crossed. This allowed me to have and feel much more room than I would have experienced.

Three trees set up in a "V" like you mention is ideal, but you can make a lot of less ideal situations work. In some ways, I've enjoyed being so cozy -- I mean, we are suspended inches apart, but yet isolated from each other. It's amazing to me. I wish I could do that at home in my bed

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    When you hang under them, don't they complain when you fart?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    When you hang under them, don't they complain when you fart?
    I'd be more concerned with being sure they wouldn't pee on my during the night.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123