Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, I wanted large pics and not thumb nail, but they are kind of gigantic. Is there anyway to post not so big, other than thumbnail of maybe taking pics with a lower megapixil setting?
    Workaround for me to pic size with Opera browser is to just move slider that I normally use to make print smaller. That immediately shrinks the pics, too. Other browsers likely work the same.

JRB are different, "orthogonal" --not contrary--, in the direction of their UQ baffles. Do you recall their explanation, sometime in yesteryear, of why they have found it works as well, or even has advantages, in their view?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Workaround for me to pic size with Opera browser is to just move slider that I normally use to make print smaller. That immediately shrinks the pics, too. Other browsers likely work the same.
    I first upload the pics from my camera to my computer and then from computer to HF Gallery. So I don't have a website to work from. I suppose if I set the camera to take pics with fewer megapixels? Maybe that would help. Or, if there is some way to down size them on my compter before uploading them to HF? Or, most unlikely, some way to downsize them once they are at HF?

But right now, looks like my choice is thumbnails or gigantica.

JRB are different, "orthogonal" --not contrary--, in the direction of their UQ baffles. Do you recall their explanation, sometime in yesteryear, of why they have found it works as well, or even has advantages, in their view?
    I don't recall JRB ever discussing that. The only discussion of that nature I recall is from another quilt maker, Te-Wa. But I can't remember the details. And I'm not sure if that is still his user name.
    EDIT:
    http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/

But I can't find anything about this there. ( I know you know about Te-wa, but I do remember him having opinions on this subject way back when)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-06-2011 at 22:10.

Suspension

Just got mine too. I'm a little confused on how to use the suspension in full length and torso mode. I don't find the included instructions all that helpful. Anybody have detailed pics or a video showing the proper method. Love the quilt otherwise.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Just got mine too. I'm a little confused on how to use the suspension in full length and torso mode. I don't find the included instructions all that helpful. Anybody have detailed pics or a video showing the proper method. Love the quilt otherwise.
    CFI on the fly, I might be able to schedule some dual training What type of suspension are you using?
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Images
    CFI, go here:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm

Do you have a gathered end hammock? As always, I think things are just much easier and straight forward with the bridge hammock, that took me about 3 minutes right out of the box. in full length mode. But no problems, it will just take a bit more initial "adjusting" with the GE hammock.

The online pics and directions are much easier to use than the pictures on the directions that come with the quilt. Just scroll down past bridge hammock to the gathered hammock directions. Click on the pictures, then you can " Ctrl + " multiple times to blow the pics up as big as you need to see the detail. Or, you can just download the images to your computer and view in your photo software. Believe me, this is way easier to do it htis way. It is how I found out I had been attaching the MW4 to the JRB BMBH wrong the 1st few months I had it. I was missing that the elastic suspension did not attach to the quilt, but instead to the loops on the hammock, which had been placed through the quilt loops 1st. It still worked, but works even better with the manufacturers exact directions.

Plus the general directions at the top mostly apply to the non-diff cut quilts. You won't have to worry about that precision adjustment, because you don't have to worry about compressing the loft, if it is more than just barely touching your back. Just adjust the suspension so that the quilt is nice and snug against your back. Strat out too loose and keep tightening till definitely snug. But don't go crazy so that it is tight enough to damage anything. Try to make sure there is still a little slack left in the suspension so that it can give a little once you are in the hammock and as you get in and out. But other than that caution, just make sure it is good and snug against your back and butt. The only "too tight" you have to worry about with this quilt is if it is tight enough to damage something. I like to cross my arms over, grab the quilt edges and pull up. If I can move it upwards at all, I tighten the suspension up a tad. If it is snug and very tight, I might loosen it a little where it is only obviously snug, but not noticeably too tight.

Start in full length mode, that is easiest to get set up right out of the box. We will talk later, if needed, about torso mode. In full length modee on a GE hammock, just girth hitch the quilt suspension where the hammock meets the hammock suspension ropes/webbing. Then make another loop closer towards the hammock middle, and adjust length as needed according to your hammock length. I'll stop trying this, it will be much easier for you to just follow the pnline direction with pictures.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-08-2011 at 12:52.

Thanks for the link. Much clearer on the website and I found that I actually had the foot end of the UQ up front. Still don't know what to make of it in torso mode. I have a Warbonnet blackbird dbl attached with woodpi slings.

Ill do some more fooling around and experimenting, but any more dual instruction would be great cause I'm not ready to solo!

Images
    Thanks for the link. Much clearer on the website and I found that I actually had the foot end of the UQ up front. Still don't know what to make of it in torso mode. I have a Warbonnet blackbird dbl attached with woodpi slings.

Ill do some more fooling around and experimenting, but any more dual instruction would be great cause I'm not ready to solo!
    I am uncertain myself what the exact set up will be for torso length on a gathered end. Maybe Pan or Smee will check in. But it's going to come down to something like this: The head end will be exactly the same as with full length. But on the foot end, you are going to obviously find a way to extend the quilt suspension. They should have sent you and extra (looped on both ends but no biners) piece of shockcord. That should take care of one side, and I think it is meant to work on an HH, taking advantage of the HH side pull outs. So the right hammock knee area pull out goes through the rt foot end loop in torso mode. That holds that part in place after staking the HH pull out.

For the other side(lt), use the girth hitched JRB foot end suspension and adjust it way long so so that one of the biners is very close to the hammock end knot, and attach the long end biner to the quilt left side foot end loop.

But you don't have an HH, but a WB. So, do the left side as above( clear as mud?) Use that extra shockcord they sent you. You will have to take the unused biner from the the left side, put it on the shockcord, and rig it up LONG just like the left side, and hook it to the right side foot end quilt loop.

Again, clear as mud? The trouble is that they have discontinued this quilt, and I think they removed any pics that might have been there clarifying how to do all of the above. Easier to see than to put into words. They have pictures on their direction sheet, but they are too small for me to make out the detail.

Boy, life sure is easy with a JRB quilt and a JRB Bridge! But, it can be done. And the above is my best guess as to how to get er done with torso and GE. Bottom line is: you have to come up with some long enough suspension to make up for the extra length between hammock end and quilt end once you go to torso mode. You can either try it like I said above ( I really thing that will work) or maybe extend things with some non-elastic cords of your own. You can just run a thin piece of cord to the supplied suspension shock cord.

Images
    OK, CFI, here Ya go, I got er done. Works perfectly. And I've got pictures rather than just words. Just click on them for a bigger image:

OOPs! OK, that is just someone trying to be cute!

MW3 Torso suspension on WBBB: lengthen the girth hitched foot end shock cord so that one biner(already removed in this pic) is real close to the hammock end knot, then remove one of the biners and put it on the extra supplied shock cord. You might want to put an extra loop closer to the hammock center like JRB shows in the directions for full length, I have not bothered here.

MW3 Torso suspension on WBBB take the extra looped shock cord JRB supplied, put the biner removed from the normal foot end suspension cord through one of the extra cord loops, and adjust just it LONG like the 1st one.

MW3 Torso suspension on WBBB: up close shot of extra cord with biner added and lengthened. Feel free to experiment with relative cord length lt vs rt on head and foot end, to apply more or less tension as needed on either side.

again, the regular cord with biner removed and the extra with biner added, both lengthened as needed.

Lt side biner attached to lt foot end of MW3 torso quilt, plenty of elastic slack left

from hammock end knot left side going down to left foot end of quilt

cord on Rt side from end knot to quilt foot end gros grain loop

foot end left side

foot end rt side

head end

Wow, that is a lot of loft for a 13 oz "torso" UQ that goes from top of my head to about my knees. You might want to try and run the cord more over the top, but it seems to be working fine just as is. Also, you will have to experiment with how much the tighten the end closures. And if you find it has a tendency to slip of your left shoulder or rt foot, you might have some success having those cords tighter on the side that is slipping than the other side.

This is ABOVE my head to below about my knee. If there is any trouble cinching it off for full seal on the head end, experiment so that it is more towards the foot of the hammock, with the top edge of the quilt wrapped around your shoulders instead of over your head. But seemed to be working prett good as is.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-08-2011 at 20:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123