Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UQ Width

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to ask for a UQ for christmas. I've narrowed my search to a Hammock Gear 20* Phoenix or a Te-Wa Freeze (20*).

The primary difference is that the Te-Wa is 40" wide & the Phoenix is 45" wide and I'd like to get opinions on if the extra 5" is important (since I can save some weight otherwise).

I'm 5'10" 155 lbs.

I'm also considering getting a couple OZ overstuff to bring the rating down to around 10* but that is still up in the air.

Thanks,
    Sean
    Last edited by begleysm; 11-05-2011 at 21:29. Reason: added height weight.

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    The right width for you depends on how much you can comfortably carry, how big you are and how you sleep. I'm not huge, but I do tend to sleep in the hammock with my right knee out. A wider UQ works better for me so that I get full coverage. I'm happy to carry the extra weight.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think the width of your underquilt also depends on how active a sleeper you are. If you toss and turn frequently, a wider underquilt would allow movement while keeping your warm more easily. Conversely if you tend to sleep in one position then a narrower underquilt will give you some weight savings.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    go wide. they are both down so the difference in weight/compressibility is negligible(Imho). If you lay on the diagonal(most do) you want to go wide. I have a 2/3s leighlo that is perfect for me 5'8" 220.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That's a matter of opinion and how you like to sleep. I like to sleep on a pretty steep diagonal so for me wider is better. That xtra width provides that little extra coverage around the shoulders which I like.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Stupid "matter of personal preference" problems! I want to hear "this one is always better for this reason" hehe.

Oh well. I'll look over the 2 again but am thinking I'll probably go with the wider Phoenix for the following reasons.

1.) It is wider & this my 1st UQ. I'd rather have a little extra width I don't need than find out I want it.
    2.) It uses 900+ FP Down where as the Te-Wa uses 800+. This means more loft for less weight so the Phoenix is "more efficient"
    3.) I can get the Phoenix in Olive Green (don't want too much black gear!)
    4.) An extra 1.7 oz ain't gonna break the back
    5.) Overfill is $7 cheaper per OZ (still not sure if I'm gonna get some or not)
    6.) $10 cheaper base price

So for the next set of questions:

1.) I'm on the fence about getting some overfill... it sure is cheap. I live in GA. Last year the coldest it got was about 20* I'm considering 2 oz of Overfill to bring the rating down to 10* or so. Then again, I'll probably hike more in warm weather then cold... Any thoughts?
    2.) I just noticed you can get the inner shell in Cuben Fiber instead of 1.1 oz Ripstop Nylon. What is the point of this? Is this to provide a vapor barrier?
    3.) Does anyone have an estimate for the "high temp" a 20* UQ would be good for?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Last edited by begleysm; 11-06-2011 at 09:50.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post

So for the next set of questions:

1.) I'm on the fence about getting some overfill... it sure is cheap. I live in GA. Last year the coldest it got was about 20* I'm considering 2 oz of Overfill to bring the rating down to 10* or so. Then again, I'll probably hike more in warm weather then cold... Any thoughts?

I've had the 20* Incubator down to the teens with no over stuff. If your only planning on going down to the 20* and you want to save weight over stuff may not be necessary. But if want a little bit of xtra warmth an ounce or two of over fill never hurts. YMMV. Also remember you can always add xtra layers of clothing.

2.) I just noticed you can get the inner shell in Cuben Fiber instead of 1.1 oz Ripstop Nylon. What is the point of this? Is this to provide a vapor barrier?
    3.) Does anyone have an estimate for the "high temp" a 20* UQ would be good for?

Yes the point is to add a vapor barrier. It also adds a couple degrees of warmth. But if your looking to use this quilt in warmer weather IMHO I would not get cuben. I got a cuben inner UQ quilt but plan on using it in 15* and below in the deep of winter.

Thanks,
    Sean

Hope that helps a bit.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It does help. Thanks.

I plan on using it in warmer weather and that may be a more likely time then the deep cold.

As such I am thinking I should avoid the Cuben Fiber & probably not overstuff it as it typically doesn't get much below 20 in Georgia anyhow.

That being said I like being prepared for anything lol.

What methods do people use to increase their warmth? Lets say a night got down to 10 or 0... Would adding a sleeping pad help? simply more clothes?

Thanks,
    Sean

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm also considering getting a couple OZ overstuff to bring the rating down to around 10* but that is still up in the air.
    Mike at TeWa sells an explicit winter UQ, the Flurry "but with over 4 inches of loft, it will take most users down into the single digits." (The HG UQs also increase baffle size when they go to winter rating and more down to fill the chambers.)

So, TeWa's goal is not much different from what you hope for from packing more down. "into single digits" vs your 10F.

What do users know about the benefit of extra ounces of down that experienced bag and quilt makers ignore when they instead build with taller baffles together with more down? I'm not inclined to believe it is a conspiracy of bedding makers to sell more expensive quilts if consumers can reach the same goal with further-stuffing.

Thats's a rhetorical question from someone who has bored out cylinders, re-jetted carburators, reshaped ports, replaced valves, changed camshafts, and put in higher-compression pistons for more performance. But that was with a nag I already owned. If I were buying new, I'd have the beast optimally configured for performance to start with. With down quilts: thats with baffles sized to the down fill.

One other thing: Mike at TeWa is a serious ultra-light hiker. He is explicit about his intension in building UQs that are just 40" wide -- to save weight and bulk.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    It does help. Thanks.

I plan on using it in warmer weather and that may be a more likely time then the deep cold.

As such I am thinking I should avoid the Cuben Fiber & probably not overstuff it as it typically doesn't get much below 20 in Georgia anyhow.

That being said I like being prepared for anything lol.

What methods do people use to increase their warmth? Lets say a night got down to 10 or 0... Would adding a sleeping pad help? simply more clothes?

Thanks,
    Sean
    A pad surely will help a good bit. I have a friend who routinely uses a 55F Peapod into the 20s and has always been quite toasty. He accomplishes this by placing the pad under the hammock into the PeaPod, so he really does not feel anything from the pad except warmth. Many others have reported being cold, adding a pad, and being warm. And it is pretty likely you will have a pad with you anyway, as a sit pad. Or as the frame of your pack.

Also, I think a vapor barrier or space blanket can also give you ( or it does for me) a nice boost for a couple of oz, and keep your down drier also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast