Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Keeping Warm

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19

    Keeping Warm

    Sup Y'all
    I've read a lot about staying warm in a hammock and the problems associated with it.
    Being from the south it's obviously not as big a problem for me,but it does get cold on occasion.
    I've always used the chemical warmers. They last all night and then some,they are cheap,light weight and if you buy the larger one it'll heat your whole sleeping bag.
    Haven't read about anyone using them here,any particular reason?

  2. #2
    Senior Member lazy river road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Posts
    3,331
    Images
    152
    During winter time, A lot of people including myself use a hot water bottle inside their hammock to help stay warm. I'll put the hot water bottle in my foot box of my TQ before I get in as well as sleep with it inside my hammock. That way not only does warm up my hammock, help keeps me warm but it also insures that I have water in the morning and don't have to worry about my water freezing over night. I don't personally use hand warmers because I just see it as extra weight to be carried in the pack. I have used the chemical warmers before while car camping but prefer the water bottle over the hand warmers because the water bottle I see as dual purpose.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

    Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    If I'm headed out for an overnight or low mileage trip where weight is not an issue I take chemical warmers. They work very well (as long as they haven't expired) and I much safer with them in my bag vs a bottle of water. I think the reason they don't get used as much for backpacking is the weight. It's a pack-it-in-and-pack-it-out item that doesn't lose weight after it's used.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

  4. #4
    Senior Member RootCause's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Hammock
    WB Traveller, & my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    One of each!
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung View Post
    Sup Y'all
    I've read a lot about staying warm in a hammock and the problems associated with it.
    Being from the south it's obviously not as big a problem for me,but it does get cold on occasion.
    I've always used the chemical warmers. They last all night and then some,they are cheap,light weight and if you buy the larger one it'll heat your whole sleeping bag.
    Haven't read about anyone using them here,any particular reason?
    Have you Hung yet, Hung? When most of us are talking about staying warm in a hammock, we're talking about keeping our underside warm. Laying against the hammock body - you're essentially laying against the outside air, which is normally below body temperature, and the body chills. (Most people find that below 65*-70*F is their lower comfort limit without lower insulation.)

    It would be difficult to use chemical handwarmers to address the full surface area that's laying on the bottom of the hammock. But, as we always say here: HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammock / Hike Your Own Hike). Try the handwarmers out and let us know what you find!

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    If I'm headed out for an overnight or low mileage trip where weight is not an issue I take chemical warmers. They work very well (as long as they haven't expired) and I much safer with them in my bag vs a bottle of water. I think the reason they don't get used as much for backpacking is the weight. It's a pack-it-in-and-pack-it-out item that doesn't lose weight after it's used.
    While I understand the "pack it in pack it out" mentality and follow it to a certain extent. Why couldnt they be burned? The ingredients are benign(carbon,cellulose,vermiculite,water and salt) and I dont see them harming the environment. In fact every time you build a fire you leave some of the same chemicals.Unless I'm missing something.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lazy river road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Posts
    3,331
    Images
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung View Post
    While I understand the "pack it in pack it out" mentality and follow it to a certain extent. Why couldnt they be burned? The ingredients are benign(carbon,cellulose,vermiculite,water and salt) and I dont see them harming the environment. In fact every time you build a fire you leave some of the same chemicals.Unless I'm missing something.
    I try to have as little impact on the environment that I am camping in as possible. That includes burning any type of trash. If everyone who used hand warmers burned said hand warmers I'd imagine that would not have a positive impact on the environment. I personally pack out what I pack in. Just my 2 cents.
    Leave No Trace
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

    Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

  7. #7
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,702
    Salt is not a good thing to burn. I concur with others on this. Pack it out. Otherwise we are just using the atmosphere as a dump.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

  8. #8
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung View Post
    While I understand the "pack it in pack it out" mentality and follow it to a certain extent. Why couldnt they be burned? The ingredients are benign(carbon,cellulose,vermiculite,water and salt) and I dont see them harming the environment. In fact every time you build a fire you leave some of the same chemicals.Unless I'm missing something.
    Is vermiculite natural to the environment where you are camping?

  9. #9
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,650
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Is vermiculite natural to the environment where you are camping?
    Considering that it occurs as a clay in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states, yeah, it's possible.

    Wikipedia article.

    Not saying it does anything good for the environment when it's burned, though...

  10. #10
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Considering that it occurs as a clay in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states, yeah, it's possible.

    Wikipedia article.

    Not saying it does anything good for the environment when it's burned, though...
    Hung's profile has him from Texas.

Similar Threads

  1. Keeping Warm
    By campcrafter in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 08:17
  2. keeping warm
    By GREEN THERAPY in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 21:05
  3. Keeping me warm
    By WeTommyD in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 12:49
  4. Keeping warm in a HH Scout
    By Knotty in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 22:38
  5. Keeping the bum warm
    By fin in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 18:45

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •