Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Woke up thinking about the Pea Pod this morning and its cost. Specifically wondering if the major cost of a pea pod is in the sheer amount of down that is in it--surely because the design complexity is nothing like the Snugfit.
    I was wondering of the cost thinking why not a Son of Pod because a lot of us Pea Pod users agree that it is collectively warmer than the sum of its individual parts....and coupling this with the belief that many of us sleeping in our camp clothes which is to say our camp clothing weight is part of our sleep system.
    So why not a more affordable pod that is geared toward 3 seasons? The implication of the Pea Pod is deep winter use-at least for me.
    There was a time when the Pea Pod was a much lighter sewn through model...I wouldn't want that back on the market necessarily but a Pod with the benefits of the larger siblings (PeaPod and Polar Pod), read extreme draft protection; but geared toward three season use. Thoughts?
    I also wondered if Professor Hammock or Shug-two of our sports most knowledgeable participants, have or use pods in any variant.
    Ive got both a 20 degree and a 30 degree peapod. The only difference in weight was the two ounces of down, and the difference in cost was about 25 bucks. I've bolstered both of them for use below 0 F and used both in the mid 50's. The 20 degree pod looked to be a 30 degree pod with 2 ounces of extra down put in the same baffles. The 30 degree weighs in at 36 ounces and the 20 at 38 ounces.

Honestly, the only appreciable savings would be in bulk. The difference between 36 ounces and say a 32 ounce pod would not be worth it for me to pick up another one. With the baffles being as large as they are, they would need to be smaller if any less down were used.

I've used peapods anywhere from minus 15 to plus 65 F. Since they are so flexible in terms of venting, snugging and augmenting, it's really tough to beat as it is now. Since discovering the use of a pod without a top quilt while in use with a slack sided hammock, they're even tougher to beat. A full UQ and a TQ warm to the mid 20's for 38 ounces is darned tough to beat from a weight perspective.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    gargoyle, fourdog, thank you both.

MM, hope I'm not hyjacking your thread? If I may ask 1 more question
    on the foot end drawstring?

Once you cinch the foot end closed do you run a shockcord up to the hammocks gathered end like you would an UQ's foot end?
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    The cord on the end ties around the gathered end knot. The snugness that you tie it allows for different configurations and temperature ranges.
    In short, there is no need for a shock cord since the drawstring is the fastener on both the head and foot ends.
    Just to make sure there is no confusion, is O+B asking about making a pod out of a sleeping bag, rather than the commercial PeaPod?

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Ive got both a 20 degree and a 30 degree peapod. The only difference in weight was the two ounces of down, and the difference in cost was about 25 bucks. I've bolstered both of them for use below 0 F and used both in the mid 50's. The 20 degree pod looked to be a 30 degree pod with 2 ounces of extra down put in the same baffles. The 30 degree weighs in at 36 ounces and the 20 at 38 ounces.

Honestly, the only appreciable savings would be in bulk. The difference between 36 ounces and say a 32 ounce pod would not be worth it for me to pick up another one. With the baffles being as large as they are, they would need to be smaller if any less down were used.
    How close in time did you get your PeaPods? Reason I'm asking: I remember that a year or two after I got my 20F PeaPod, not long before he quit the hammock business, Speer's specs for the pod 20F pod decreased by about 4 oz in weight. With the amount of 900 down staying the same. I figured he must have started using some lighter weight shell fabric. The newest ones were 38 oz, mine was 42 oz. If you got your 30F pod way back, I wonder if dif shell weights account for some of the similarity in weight between your 2 pods? Or do you think it was because the 20F only had 2 oz of extra down? I can't remember how much down that 30 was supposed to have, my 20 claimed 19 oz of 900 down.

I've used peapods anywhere from minus 15 to plus 65 F. Since they are so flexible in terms of venting, snugging and augmenting, it's really tough to beat as it is now. Since discovering the use of a pod without a top quilt while in use with a slack sided hammock, they're even tougher to beat. A full UQ and a TQ warm to the mid 20's for 38 ounces is darned tough to beat from a weight perspective.
    Yeah that's something, isn't it? Hard to beat. I recently got away with that again in the low 30s, I was plenty warm with no TQ. I had my usual SB, but actually had to remove it on some nights, too warm. And the way I use it, I have to add the weight of a hood to a separate TQ/UQ for apples to apples. Of course, that is with a narrow hammock, but that's no problem for me.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

How close in time did you get your PeaPods? Reason I'm asking: I remember that a year or two after I got my 20F PeaPod, not long before he quit the hammock business, Speer's specs for the pod 20F pod decreased by about 4 oz in weight. With the amount of 900 down staying the same. I figured he must have started using some lighter weight shell fabric. The newest ones were 38 oz, mine was 42 oz. If you got your 30F pod way back, I wonder if dif shell weights account for some of the similarity in weight between your 2 pods? Or do you think it was because the 20F only had 2 oz of extra down? I can't remember how much down that 30 was supposed to have, my 20 claimed 19 oz of 900 down.

Yeah that's something, isn't it? Hard to beat. I recently got away with that again in the low 30s, I was plenty warm with no TQ. I had my usual SB, but actually had to remove it on some nights, too warm. And the way I use it, I have to add the weight of a hood to a separate TQ/UQ for apples to apples. Of course, that is with a narrow hammock, but that's no problem for me.

I believe I got them within 18 months of each other. I bought the 30 from Speerhammocks.com and the 20 from another user after he tried it for two weeks. The 30 is green inside and out while the 20 is green inside and blue outside. Both had the weights on the bag that they shipped in. I do know that his last design did reduce the weight quite a bit.

"These are the warmest & lightest weight PeaPods we've ever made!" is still on his website.

Speaking of hoods, I REALLY do like the absence of a draft on my head in a pod. I used a Phoenix with a No Sniveler last weekend at Forney Creek and I was warm except for my cheeks. That doesn't happen in a peapod.

I'm not sure what I would want in terms of improvements over the existing design. There's no double reverse baffle with a half twist, nor is there a gyroscopic suspension system with auto draft control. They just work. What other design lets you shift down from below your feet to your behind or away from your shoulders above your head? What other system will let your drop a couple of plastic bags full of leaves and duff under your to make up for any shortcomings? Speer Peapods are just tough to beat. The sleeping bag pods and other imitations replicate some of its features, but the real thing just has something to it that is hard to match.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have never been inside of an actual Pea-Pod....but I did mess with a sleeping bag as a pod. I had my FrankenQuilt UQ and a light TQ in it as well down to -17º. The bag alone on the hammock is snug against my buttocks and back....gap in the chest area. May be fine for milder weather.
    Shug

Shug. It pains me that with all of the gear you've sampled that no one has let you try a real Speer Peapod. I may have to ship you one of mine to try just so that you can get it out of the way (while boosting the potential resale value with the "as seen on Shugvision lable").
    Then again, you might not give it up!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'slack sided hammock'....That's a new term for me but perfectly fitting. I've said it before-thanks to BillyBob for pointing this out. It gave new life to my podding.
    I did consider the PeaPod for the BSF next weekend but decided to get some of my money out of my Te-Wa and Mamba so they are already packed.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    'slack sided hammock'....That's a new term for me but perfectly fitting. I've said it before-thanks to BillyBob for pointing this out. It gave new life to my podding.
    I did consider the PeaPod for the BSF next weekend but decided to get some of my money out of my Te-Wa and Mamba so they are already packed.
    It's pretty much true. When used with an actual Speer hammock, the sides of the hammock are too high to let the pod drape over you. I've used some pretty big and wide hammocks with peapods and as long as the sides are not high, the top will drape.
    As to next weekend.....I'm still undecided per usual. To pod or not to pod....

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Guys(gals) make a prediction please.
    How low do you think the average hanger could go with this combo--from the outside in:
    MacIX hammock sock (one layer of IX next to bottom of hammock)
    Original sewn through PeaPod.
    Both around a Traveler.

Why? Outfitting a friend for the News Years Hang Roan High Knob...or maybe outfitting me and putting her in the PeaPod.

So adding to the above combo of a MacIX hammock sock + Original sewn through PeaPod add:
    Te-wa Winter Coat (rated 0-5F)
    Warbonnet Winter Mamba (with 2 oz overfill) {yes Wisenber every thing UQ or TQ I've got has overfill }

Now if I could only remember the weight of the Original sewn through PeaPod. Anybody remember?

Forgot, the combo of the Original PeaPod and MacIX I think would be nice for many 3 season applications-again using a Traveler and sleeping in camp clothes.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just came across this discussion----------I have the 20 degree 900 fill goose down peapod. Its great, and has served me very well ,, but here a few of my thoughts..............for deep winter hanging, in my opinion,it cant be beat--draft free comfort! It really is a brilliant design! For 3 season use, it works well,but is kind of overkill. If you have the luxury of having lots of gear to use depending on the weather, you will probably save weight and bulk by using an appropriate TQ/UQ . I don't regret buying mine: my only regret was not buying another when Ed had a half off sale on several peapods because the colors were wrong-------green on both sides. (what was i thinking!) That was 2 years ago, and i still cant believe I did that!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    .....Now if I could only remember the weight of the Original sewn through PeaPod. Anybody remember?
    Still not sure if I have the Original sewn through. Will try and shoot a pic to ask you to help me out.

My peapod (The bag states 20F, 900 Fill) weighs 1291 grams, 45.54 Oz (thanks to the converter from backpackgeartest.org!)

Two (full) quilts (T&U), would be around the same I reckon 2x22 Oz (Just have the averages from Jacks R Better in my head), not sure about temp rating...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    The original sewn through model was most likely not 900 fill power and at best temperature rated to 40F.....and far lighter in weight. How much it weighs is the question. I know Kangaroo has one...well I do too but mines a long drive from here and it will be Wednesday before I can get to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast