Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Illiminating the Top Quilt

Seems I read this a long time ago on this forum where someone just wore extra clothing instead of using a top quilt. Cant find.. Anyways, Im toying with an idea of getting lightweight overalls to suppliment my down jacket and just use them in my hammock for winter use. Im thinking it might lesson some pack weight and at the same time multi task my cold weather system.
    Im thinking ski overalls but wonder if they are light weight enough to make a dif. Any thoughts out there? thanx, bill

Images
    The problem I see with having insulated clothing warm enough to sleep in would be too bulky/hot for hiking so you'd end up carrying that system in your pack during the day so there isn't much weight or space savings IMO.

The system I've adopted for winter is lighter insulated over clothing with 3 season quilts.
    Heavy (not arctic) down jacket with hood to wear around camp and sleep in. Syn insulated over pants for the same. So far I have been very happy with this layered system.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Seems I read this a long time ago on this forum where someone just wore extra clothing instead of using a top quilt. Cant find.. Anyways, Im toying with an idea of getting lightweight overalls to suppliment my down jacket and just use them in my hammock for winter use. Im thinking it might lesson some pack weight and at the same time multi task my cold weather system.
    Im thinking ski overalls but wonder if they are light weight enough to make a dif. Any thoughts out there? thanx, bill
    Fiddleback is the main one. See post # 14 here, and search his other posts:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...554#post522554

#8 and 34 here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...388#post277388 for starters.

Then there are those of us who use clothing as a part of the sleep system. For me the major example is using a PeaPod by itself, especially in a narrow hammock, into the 20s augmented only by the clothing I will always have with me anyway. I might wear the clothes, but really it is more for draping over me inside the pod to fill any top gaps or make a neck collar when I want a big vent hole near my face. To keep the warmed air below my neck from rushing out the vent hole.

I have used clothing only at least once, but it was only about 48-50. Inside an HHSS. Wearing my 12-14 oz hooded Polarguard jacket and 8 oz PG pants, plus light long Johns. I was fine on my back, and by time to get up I was just about thinking I could use just a tad more on top. IOW, if it had been any colder I would have needed something else. If I had my down vest or something like a JRB hood, I probably could have gone a good bit colder. And I'm sure with significantly thicker clothing, like down parkas and such, I could have gone a lot colder.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-12-2011 at 12:36.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Using clothing to supplement a sleep system usually works out weight-wise only if you are using the clothing on a regular basis other than for sleep-- multiple use gets extra points Some ultralight hikers count on wearing ALL their clothing for sleep, allowing them to carry an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt.

If you want to extend the range of your existing sleeping bag and don't mind a little extra weight, then it is more a matter of budget and personal preference. I could see some conditions where having another layer of warm clothing would be good CYA, like hiking around the time the weather starts to change and increased chances of the temperature dropping, snowfall, etc. In other words, how much you believe the weatherman vs your pack weight.

I like Power Stretch fleece for a mid layer and it works great for sleep. From there I go to puffy vest and/or jacket with hood, which are still usable for sleep. For bottoms I start with adding silkweight long johns and the next step up would be Power Stretch long johns. If it is cold enough to need something like down or polyfill pants, I'm staying home

Images
    the problem in the winter is if these are EXTRA clothes then a wearable quilt would weigh less. if this is duel use what happens if they get sweaty or damp. learn to hike safe. do some reading. you said WINTER, not taking a sleeping system is just...............
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Think the difference between mittens and gloves. In mittens, the warmth given off by each finger is captured and shared with the others. No such benefit with gloves. I think the overalls would have the same problems.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In winter I regularly use (part or all of) my insulative clothes as "part" of my sleep system. Same ones I wear during the day.
    As long as your UQ & TQ are breathable & your body is well fed & putting out heat, it seams that (in most cases) that my body heat does a good job of drying away any excessive moister in the clothing.

Of course there can be complications to that system, like getting clothing really wet during the day or extreme cold temps that interfere with water vapor being able to evaporate from the colder outer inches of the insulation, but for the most part, it works well so far for me.

But back to the TQ question from Crawdaddy, it seams to me that having a top quilt is probably still going to be best. It can be a lighter TQ than you might otherwise carry for the same temps, but it encloses you & your insulated clothing in a further protected area. Like the mitten example above.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    thanx for all the input. Im mainly thinking of camping/hanging. Not hiking/hanging. So I wouldnt be traveling all that much to my destination. Hence, alot of sitting around the fire, fishing, etc. In very cold weather, it would be nice just to jump out of the hammock when ready and have my winter clothing on. Just wondering..

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Since you're talking about camping with the assumption being that weight is not an issue, then I would just say its not all that different from wearing clothes in bed at home without a blanket. Lower your thermostat and check it out.

My guess is that its a bit like being at an outdoor football stadium - you can wear whatever will get you through 8 or so hours of sittling/lying around doing nothing. For a lot of folks, that still includes a blanket of some sort, especially if you're talking about also being comfortable.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    thanx for all the input. Im mainly thinking of camping/hanging. Not hiking/hanging. So I wouldnt be traveling all that much to my destination. Hence, alot of sitting around the fire, fishing, etc. In very cold weather, it would be nice just to jump out of the hammock when ready and have my winter clothing on. Just wondering..
    In that case, the amount of clothes you would need to sleep comfortably is going to be a lot more than the clothes you want when you are up and active. You will be getting up and taking off clothes. Easier to take off a top quilt than a layer of clothes.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast