Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

3-in-1 Balaclava

I just got this one for Christmas but haven't been able to try it out yet. The face mask is attached and recesses into to top if not needed. The tag on the one I got called it a 3-in-1 for head, face and neck.
    Seirus 3-in1 Balaclava
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Yes, that was with the Kickass quilt. That was the coldest I've gotten to, but then it stopped being cold recently.

HOI, I think a balaclava would freak me out. I ordered an extra 6 inches on the length of the FF quilt, in the hopes that I could just pull it up over my head if my face got cold.

Jeff, a fleece blanket under the quilt sounds pretty good. I've actually got a cheap fleece sleeping bag (again from Target) so that might be a possibility too unzipped, leaving a footbox.
    I'm not a big "balaclava" fan but I tried one on at Wally world and became a convert. One's I've tried in the past were a little too snug and somewhat restrictive feeling. The one at Wally World was made of very soft fleece and rather loose fitting. I think it would be great for hammock camping as it protects your face, head and neck very well and was very comfortable. It was also camouflage if you're into that whole scene. It's worth checking out. I believe it was only about ten bucks.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm sure there is great merit in what you all say about balaclavas. I will have to go to the sporting goods stores and try some on. I'd rather be toasty warm and claustrophobic than have my nose freeze off.

Jeff, I wasn't intending to breathe into my quilt. Imagine, if you will, lying somewhat on your side and wrapping the quilt up around your head, with only your nose and mouth available to the outside air. Still you will freeze your nose off, but at least you will not be breathing humid air into your quilt. That's what I originally had in mind anyway. Hard to try that method out when the quilt has not arrived yet though.

Images
    I also do not like balaclava'z. I carry a windproof fleece hat and sperate face shield. I only wear the face shield when I hike in really cold weather.

In my hammock I learned on a post trip that I can use my primaloft coat as a pillow. I then pull some of it over my head and eyes. I pull my bag used as a quilt up it my chin. I can sleep like this sometimes without a warm hat.

This allows me to have a pillow and my head and face mostly coverred. My mouth and nose are uncovered to let my breath out.

If I get another cold snap I am going to play around with a shorter pad. Maybe something torso length. My thinking is that I can use that, my sit pad under my feet, and my clothes bag or pack underneath my legs if needed.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I heard a guy say somewhere that in really REALLY cold weather, he would get entirely inside his bag, face and all. He would remove the hose from his water bladder and take one end in the bag with him, hanging the other end out of the tent door (yeah I know - ground pounder). He said it took some getting used to, but it worked.

How he managed to breath through the tube all night while sleeping, I don't know...I don't think I could do it. I'd probably end up swallowing the thing and choking to death in my sleep
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Jeff, I was looking at the mask you linked to. That looks ok.

What about this --so that I can wear what the NFL players wear, because that's really important. Under Armour ColdGear Hood. There's a new REI store that just opened here in Greensboro (I work in Greensboro). I may have to head over there at lunch one day and see what they have available.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if the weather turns cold & you want a warmer quilt for that trip can let you use one. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Tim,

Blackbishop351 said he'd help me find a military poncho liner to modify. I'm thinking I can cut one down to size, and then have a nice light summer quilt and a liner for Mt. Rogers type weather. Will keep you posted on how it goes. If I can't get this done in time, I may contact you about that warmer quilt!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They have used poncho liners in Fayetteville for $23.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks Jeff,

I saw one online for 21.00 somewhere (plus shipping). I'm still looking for the best deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12