Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

1st serious cold weather test for my Clark…

I slept out in my Clark NA two nights in Tioga County, PA this week. Tuesdays temp when I woke (06:10 or so after a good night’s sleep) was 27 degrees. I used my zero degree synthetic bag, a blue Wal-Mart pad (inside the hammock), and had no ‘insulation’ in the Clark’s bottom pockets (just my boots). I slept in 100% polyester long john bottoms, and a fleece long sleeve top, with a cap. I even left one side with only the bug screen zipped, and only zipped the ‘weather shield’ on the windward side.

I slept very well and was never cold. This was its first cold weather test. My three friends that slept in the cabin thought I was nuts, but I’m sure I was more comfortable than on their old pull out couch.

I’ve read much about hammocks being too cold (on hunting forums), but I essentially left my screen door open in 27 degrees and was OK. I’m sure if I zipped the weather shield on both sides, I could have taken this sleeping system to lower temps. A better pad would likely help some also.

Now I still have to perfect my set up to assure the rig is rain and wind proof. I already know many of you others have done this. I just haven’t perfected a system yet.

TTS
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Images
    Congratulations on your first cold hang! Be careful though, this might change your whole outlook on weather. I don't think I am the only one around here watching the weather forecast actually hoping for cold, rainy, crappy weather just to go out and test my gear!

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I'm from Central Pa (HBG area) and it was great hanging weather this week. I bet you were better rested than you couch sleeping buddies. Congrats.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I slept out in my Clark NA two nights in Tioga County, PA this week. Tuesdays temp when I woke (06:10 or so after a good night’s sleep) was 27 degrees. I used my zero degree synthetic bag, a blue Wal-Mart pad (inside the hammock), and had no ‘insulation’ in the Clark’s bottom pockets (just my boots). I slept in 100% polyester long john bottoms, and a fleece long sleeve top, with a cap. I even left one side with only the bug screen zipped, and only zipped the ‘weather shield’ on the windward side.

I slept very well and was never cold. This was its first cold weather test. My three friends that slept in the cabin thought I was nuts, but I’m sure I was more comfortable than on their old pull out couch.

I’ve read much about hammocks being too cold (on hunting forums), but I essentially left my screen door open in 27 degrees and was OK. I’m sure if I zipped the weather shield on both sides, I could have taken this sleeping system to lower temps. A better pad would likely help some also.

Now I still have to perfect my set up to assure the rig is rain and wind proof. I already know many of you others have done this. I just haven’t perfected a system yet.

TTS
    Tioga PA....it's a small world indeed. Myself and three other hangers are from just up the road in Elmira, NY. My daughter is from the Bloomsburg area and also owns a Clark. Seems that with a group that size a mini rendezvous would be in order this summer. We also do quite a bit of whitewater kayaking down near you. I've backpacked/hammocked the Loyalsock Trail few times. It's a great area. I'm in CA right now but will be returning to Elmira this summer. Let's get together for a group hang.

BTW...welcome to the hammocking fold.

Miguel

PS Lone Wolf...you can also join us...Harrisburg isn't that far away.
    Last edited by Miguel; 05-03-2008 at 00:49.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    My friends were turkey hunting. I was there primarily to test my hammock in cold weather (didn’t even bother bringing a gun). I was without a doubt hoping for cold, wet weather. It was raining steadily early Monday and some of the drive up, but the rain was mainly over by the time I got there. It was just as well as my tarp’s side line failed and the wind blew it over the top. Actually, my tent stake gave way as it was in spongy soil and there were no nearby trees on that side. I used that pain free lesson to make sure my tarp is well anchored (especially on the windward side!).

I definitely need practice on my set up style. I wouldn’t want to be setting up in heavy wind or rain, as I’m slow and haven’t developed a good eye for centering the hammock on the first try. My problem is I don’t have any good spots to practice near my house.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Tioga PA....it's a small world indeed. Myself and three other hangers are from just up the road in Elmira, NY. My daughter is from the Bloomsburg area and also owns a Clark. Seems that with a group that size a mini rendezvous would be in order this summer. We also do quite a bit of whitewater kayaking down near you. I've backpacked/hammocked the Loyalsock Trail few times. It's a great area. I'm in CA right now but will be returning to Elmira this summer. Let's get together for a group hang.

BTW...welcome to the hammocking fold.

Miguel

PS Lone Wolf...you can also join us...Harrisburg isn't that far away.
    Miguel,

I know you’re a Claytor guy, and I have one of those as well. I’ve yet to use it though, as my son took it every night we hung together. I’m not really happy with the stock suspension system on that, but I don’t have the time to experiment and change it. I’d like to go with rings, but I’d have to see them work to trust them with my weight. (I’m only 200 lbs, but I don’t feel like falling on my rear!).

A mini meeting sometime this summer sounds good to me, but I work weekends so early week fits my schedule better. I'm actually 4 hours from Tioga. My friends have told me the Tioga River has a good launch near the Tioga & Hammond Lakes area. I’d like to take my son out on my Bass Boat and perhaps just camp somewhere along the rivers edge, or lakeside. Have you done this often?

Campground “camping” holds no allure to me. Apart from meeting some other hangers like you, I’m looking to get away from crowds, not ‘camp’ right next to other people.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Hey 6ft over,
    I love camping on the river. I dont really backpack anymore(lame knees) but regularly take the yak & hammock for overnight camping. I have 4 yaks and would love to get together with some fellow hangers on a float trip. If you guys plan a mini meeting, please drop me a line.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    6 Feet and Lone Wolf

I have been to the dam but not for camping. I too am not crazy about campgrounds but since I'm recentley retired and constantly travel, I suse them quite frequently. One of the most beautiful places to camp is along the Loyalsock Creek. It's part of the park but not within the campground. It's near the road and part of the Loyalsock trail system....a real easy hike in for someone with bad knees. You could fish for trout right out of your hammock.
    Since I'm retired I could go anytime...everyday is Saturday to me. Retirement.....I highly endorse it. See you guys this summer. Oh yeah....the other three people in the Elmira area all own Claytor hammocks and use the strap/cinch buckle method of suspension.

Happy hanging, Miguel

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    This was the deal. With this type of pad inside the hammock…

I was comfortable when I woke...

This was the set up...(orange vest so my turkey hunting pals don't shoot me!

and this was the cabin I DIDN'T sleep in!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nice cabin... but i'll bet you slept more comfortable<G>.
    and i like the kind of view you had from your hammock better too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast