Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Images
    Well we got a new puppy Monday. LAB/ Great Pyrenees Mix, It will be a while before she is old enough to go hiking but I had her in the hammock today and she was very still and went right to sleep. Hopefully she will stay that way; however I don’t think she will be in the hammock while on the trail. She is about nine weeks old and weights in at 27lbs so we are expecting her to be close to 100lbs before it's over. Oh well I guess instead of gas I will spend the money on food and Hike to and from work...HA HA

Mike

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

dogs & hammocking

Quote Originally Posted by mike_ff View Post
    So I know a few of you hike with your dogs. I recently had to put my dog down after 7 loving years. Now I am wanting to get another and would like to be able to take him hiking with me. So my question is where do you guys/gals let them sleep I have always used a tent until recently so my dogs have always been in the tent with me. Also just for the sake of knowing what breed dogs does everyone have. My old hiking buddy was a Black Lab. My most recent dog that I just lost was a mutt but was woderful and will be missed.

Mike
    Mike:

Sorry to hear about your dog. My condolences.

When I first got into hammocking last year (with much help from the forum; Thanks!!) I slept a few nights in a Crazy Creek LEX with Ultralight Tarp with my dog. He did just fine in that hammock since it's big. He curled up under my knees and we kept each other warm. However, one time, while jumping out in the front yard, his paw caught the mosquito netting and ripped a hole. It has been repaired. (The hammock is For Sale BTW (photos of the repair job of the rip.) Be careful with dogs in hammocks! The HH UL is too small for a dog.

After the rip incident dogs have been banished to sleep under the hammock & tarp. The hammock & tarp act as a roof which keeps them warmer than sleeping out but not quite as warm as in a tent when they try to nudge their way into our sleeping bags. Dogs in a tent can be bad when things go bump in the night and the dog tries to jump out when the bug net is closed.

The German wirehaired pointer is a big baby and needs a sweater even in summer. The Australian shepard has a thick coat and sleeps fine on cool nights unless he's wet.

Last edited by hikingjer; 05-17-2008 at 03:50.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    This is what little doggies look like in a mummy bag in my Claytor JH.
    (Yes they sleep in there with me EVERY TIME.)

I've been looking for a hiking/backpacking dog as well. I'm leaning towards the BlackMouth Cur.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Best trail dog I ever had was a mix mut that my parents found at a Vet in PE. Our dog got sick one christmas when we were at my grandparents, and the dog was sitting by the check in desk just hanging out. My dad asked about him and the clerk said that he has been found and someone brought him in, the vet had fixed him up and he was so friendly they decided to just keep him around. My dad offered to pay his vet bills and take him home. 16 years later my best friend went on. That dog went everywhere I went, never left my side and had manners like no other. Never have had another dog like that. Now I have a psychotic beagle and a Bull Mastiff puppy (my sisters) and neither of them are trail worthy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    The Bull Mastiff just proved a traitor to the cause. He ate a ULA Catalyst last night along with my MacCat Deluxe, my Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter and an entire 12 pack of muffins from sams club, plus atleast an 8th of a bag of dog food. Luckily I don't have class today so I can sit here and make sure his stomach doesn't flip. Don't you love watching family pets! cursing:

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    The Bull Mastiff just proved a traitor to the cause. He ate a ULA Catalyst last night along with my MacCat Deluxe, my Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter and an entire 12 pack of muffins from sams club, plus atleast an 8th of a bag of dog food. Luckily I don't have class today so I can sit here and make sure his stomach doesn't flip. Don't you love watching family pets! cursing:
    How old is he. I had the same problem with my Newfie, Misto, until she turned three. She's four now and all she eats is food and chunky mulch...and anything in a plastic bag. She still is a counter surfer, though. If it's not put away, she eats it. Last week I left a kitchen cabinet ajar and she ate a bag of flour, and a chocolate cake mix. Someone told me to just put her in the oven...lol.
    Good luck...may you live in interesting times.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What?! That's like $400 of primo gear. Wow, sorry to hear about it. I guess that's why they're cute when they are puppies...so you don't choke them to death. On the upside, you get to go gear shopping!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Yeah I guess. The ULA pack was involved in a trade, so I'm not happy at all on that front, and the tarp was brand new. Luckily I have other water filters.

Oh well, he is just a dog. I didn't even know how to respond when I came downstairs this morning. My beagle Nelly gave me the I didn't have anything to do with it look. Then Brody came around the corner with his tennis ball ready to play. Needless to say I pinged him in the head with his ball.

A Newfy huh? I've wanted one my entire life, but everytime I get ready to get another dog, I never can find one. All my dogs have been rescues. My current Beagle was found roaming the walmart parking lot here is Wise County. She loves rabbits hence the reason she can't hike with me she bawls everytime she gets a scent.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Holy cow!
    My dog chewed a lot of stuff* when younger but never that much at once. I learned through bitter experience that if it is made of plastic or leather or cardboard my dog will eventually chew it. So my housekeeping got a lot better. I hope your dog suffers no ill from his 'diet'.

*one entire hardcover harry potter book, the covers of three more hardcovers, a floppy disk, ink pens (black, of course; rolled on, of course; on carpet, of course), the cardboard cone from the middle of a 5000 yard cone of superfine weaving wool (rendering it useless), a tupperware lid, several small computer cable adapters, refrigerator magnets, a 5lb bag of potatoes - teeth marked spuds all over the house, pencils, 3 feet of french drain, some irrigation hose, a custom leather belt, wallpaper (peeled off the wall, no less), and several bars of dial soap and/or the wrappers (she nibbles on them and then rolls on them - hairy chewed-on soap. Yum).