Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Hammock
    War Bonnet Black Bird Baby
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Underquilt
    Lots of fun comments and stories. I'm looking to take Lilo (2yr old lab mutt) out next weekend on my first hanging trip (I'm SO excited). I'm thinking she'll do just fine - she loves hiding out under the desk chair or the dining room table... How different is a hammock?

Lilo hikes with her own pack, and I'm slowly building the weight by taking her on her regular walks with it on. The pack not only takes weight from me, but it also slows her down and keeps her under control far more than a leash ever did. It's magic! I've also gotten her hiking "shoes" (I know, I'm a crazy dog lady) because so many times she's ripped up her feet on the rocky trails we do. I guess she's just not got the tough feet that usually come with a Lab. Then there's the little jacket, in case she gets cold. Okay. I know. Don't mock me. I don't have children - so what can I do? Besides, she's carrying it, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Underquilt
    Wait - I almost missed it - was mikeinfhaz looking for a hiking mutt????

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrae_lo View Post
    Okay. I know. Don't mock me. I don't have children - so what can I do? Besides, she's carrying it, right?
    Ha! That's funny.
    You're doing better than we do when we camp with our dog. We brought so much stuff with us the last time we went camping that I almost had to rent a trailer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Just found this while looking at some automotive accessories:

From their site:

The WeatherTech® Pet Tent is the ideal travel companion for your pet. Available in four sizes, the Pet Tent fits most vehicles and most pets. Made out of a PVC heavy-duty woven fabric with rugged mesh material for ventilation. Secures to your vehicle with either Velcro®, or corner clips. Cleans easily, simply wipe down with a damp cloth. The Pet Tent simply "pops" open, and can be easily collapsed to stow away in its own bag for convenient storage.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...=806&Year=2000

No mention of weight, but I wonder how this would work as a pet shelter for hiking? I wonder how large it is when stowed away?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Underquilt
    Okay, so my first hang with the pooch was a mixed success. I didn't get my little diy project of a doggie pup tent done in time to bring it along - but I figured we'd see what happened without it. I had hoped that Lilo would want to hang out under my hammock tarp, or the hammock itself, to keep her warmer and close. However, she preferred to sleep out at the limit of her leash in the bush (made me so glad I brought her a sleeping pad). This would have been fine if she didn't get up and sniff around, look about and generally make a ruckus every half hour or so.

So I made an executive decision and pulled her up into the hammock with me. She kept very still and slept very nicely tucked in beside me. However, at 50 lbs, she shifted the balance of the hammock and made it a little less comfortable than it was with just me in it. Also, i got dog hair on my hammock - which just means it now matches everything else I own. not sure she actually liked sleeping in there - she was probably just to tired to complain. I have to say, though, it did solve the warmth problem I was experiencing!

Guess this will take a little more work before i get the balance right. Darn it if that doesnt' mean more hammocking trips!

Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex
    Its a painful loss, one I have known several times. Enjoy that new pup!
    Canoe/hammock camped with a rescue 52lb Belgian Malinois. She used her PFD as a sleeping pad under the hammock at night. Works out fine. Now have a second larger male rescue from the same organization and he will have his first canoe lesson soon! I'm wondering how I'll do alone with TWO in the boat....she is calm, he is nervous...
    I think a lower level, dog hammock will be invented by a HF member...may need spreader bars....
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678