1.7 DBL WBBB
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Weather shield question

Im not new to hammocks but I am new to all the accecories. My question is for colder weather what can I use to help block wind? Ive seen some posts on a hammock sock and a burrito. what are the pros and cons of these?
    much appreciated
    Thanks
    Ryan......
    May the road rise up to meet you May the wind be always at your back may the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hand

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A weather-shield works wonders to cut the wind and add a wee bit of warmth......
    Get one here:http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've had good luck with the weather shield Shug suggested. On colder nights I added a foil survival blanket between my hammock and the under quilt.

Images
    The 2QZQ breathable UQ protector works great. Cuts wind, helps hold heat, allows your UQ to breath reducing moisture build up in your down. Workmanship is A+

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The 2QZQ breathable UQ protector works great. Cuts wind, helps hold heat, allows your UQ to breath reducing moisture build up in your down. Workmanship is A+
    Agreed, I use mine a lot with great results. The BBO top cover on the other hand is hit and miss. It does a great job of blocking wind and holding heat inside the hammock. The downside is that it often results in condensation. You can cut down or even eliminate it if you unzip the bugnet but then you really defeat the purpose of even using a top cover when you do that. I find top covers to work best in temps above freezing otherwise it becomes a wet greenhouse inside for me. I never have condensation just using the undercover alone though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Agreed, I use mine a lot with great results. The BBO top cover on the other hand is hit and miss. It does a great job of blocking wind and holding heat inside the hammock. The downside is that it often results in condensation. You can cut down or even eliminate it if you unzip the bugnet but then you really defeat the purpose of even using a top cover when you do that. I find top covers to work best in temps above freezing otherwise it becomes a wet greenhouse inside for me. I never have condensation just using the undercover alone though.
    And that is breathable, right? If so, this looks like a case of vapor condensing on a breathable fabric. Which of course is to be expected: if the fabric is the right temp, the vapor will condense on it breathable or not. And the reason for the existence of VBs in some conditions. And why I am so fond of VB/SBs under me, between me and my bottom insulation. Anyone here, on a dry night, ever woke up with a layer of frost all over the shell of your sleeping bag? I have. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of that frost was inside the shell.

Still, I think we get away with it better with our UQs- with or without a breathable shield. Just because warm vapor rises, I suppose. Still, someone here ( sorry can't remember who?) on one of last winters deep freeze hangs used an UQ with a VB,and a TQ without. With the VB everything was pretty much dryer. Without- even after 4 hours of drying in the winter Sun, the TQ (no VB)was still a couple of oz heavier with water than the UQ(VB) that was not dried, and I think that was after 2 nights? But I can't remember the details with certainty, maybe he will chime in here and give the true story.

OP: Sorry, this is not a VB thread. But an UC or OC thread. I am a huge fan of the Sil-nylon bottom cover on (UC) on the HHSS. But I would not dare use it in really cold conditions without a space blanket snug against my hammock(stays fairly warm=no condensation for me). I have used it a few times at about 45-50F with no SB. One of those times, the foot of my pad and bag were soaked! ( all dried quickly however- synthetic bag and HH OCF pad)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-04-2011 at 16:15.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And that is breathable, right?
    Yes, I have the breathable 2qZq undercover made of the calendared nylon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Still, I think we get away with it better with our UQs- with or without a breathable shield. Just because warm vapor rises, I suppose. Still, someone here ( sorry can't remember who?) on one of last winters deep freeze hangs used an UQ with a VB,and a TQ without. With the VB everything was pretty much dryer. Without- even after 4 hours of drying in the winter Sun, the TQ(no VB) was still a couple of oz heavier with water than the UQ(VB) that was not dried, and I think that was after 2 nights? But I can't remember the details with certainty, maybe he will chime in here and give the true story.. But I can't remember the details with certainty, maybe he will chime in here and give the true story.
    It was Canoeski! check out his posts here starting in post #17. Actually, the entire thread makes a great read!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26995

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Yes, I have the breathable 2qZq undercover made of the calendared nylon.
    Actually, I was referring to the BBO being breathable, but still condensation problems below freezing.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use my poncho as a weathershield. It hangs loose enough to not compress the UQ. Heck it doesn't even touch the UQ, so any condensation stays on the poncho. It blocks the wind great. I have used this method even back before I used UQ's. The poncho is a multi-use item so it doesn't add any weight or bulk to my pack.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I use my poncho as a weathershield. It hangs loose enough to not compress the UQ. Heck it doesn't even touch the UQ, so any condensation stays on the poncho. It blocks the wind great. I have used this method even back before I used UQ's. The poncho is a multi-use item so it doesn't add any weight or bulk to my pack.
    I've done the same with my poncho. Mine works out great as the hole for the head lays right above my face.

For colder temps in full out winter I might look at a insulated sock but not sure what design I'll go with at this point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast