Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps

Brain storming for a new UQ

Ok DIY geniuses.

I made a 3/4 length UQ and it was great but I didn't like having to take the extra foam pad for under my feet and head, so I sold it and now I am embarking on what looks to be a major pain in the arse. But I think after I cuss it and kick things and cuss it some more that I am going to be very happy with it.

That being said I wanted to throw up my thoughts and get some opinions before I ruin my fabric which I can't afford to replace. So I present my brainstorm for the Streamline UQ v.2.

My thoughts are that it will end up fitting like a bathtub, I think I have seen something similar to this somewhere but I am drawing a blank. The outer shell will have a differential cut length and width wise, bleh, and I will be using your standard shockcord in the channels. Also I will be sewing grosgrain loops on one end of the head and foot channels for the shockcord to tie into making the cord easily replaceable.

I was going to go with a different design that looked more like a friggin stealth bomber versus a bath tub so I have not figured out lengths or how much down I need yet, but I do know I will be using 800fp goose down and the baffles will be cut from noseeum mesh. I will also want this to take me down to about 25˚.

Two final goals to this project:
    1. Have a kick butt UQ that will last me a long time.
    2. Never wanting to do another UQ again

Any suggestions, thoughts, comments…?

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    your design to me is similar to MacEntyre's hammock sock - shaped like a Dory boat.

Looks like it will work well!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I am not an UQ expert by any stretch. I seems to me though when I put mine on there has got to be a better way. It just looks so wimpy on there. Surely someone can come up with a better method than just using shock cords. Every weeks, it seems, we see new methods of doing things on this forum. Isn't it time for a new and better way to do this? Maybe someone already has. How about you streamline, want to be the one?

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Honestly I like the shockcord method. I did think about tweaking it a bit and merging the shockcord footbox on hammocks method I have seen here with shock only attached to the ends of the UQ, but I worry about it wanting to create gaps.

I am still so new to the hammock world and have a ton of learning to go. I don't like the weight of the shock cord that is for sure, but the ability to slide the UQ up and down the hammock is so convenient.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a snug fit on my UQ, I put shock cord down the length of the quilt. This I used to attach the UQ to my hammock suspension. To get a nice seal on the ends (width-wise), I inserted some elastic that would allow it to hug the bottom of my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    This is a great out-of-the-box idea, but I would definitely mock it up before cutting your fabric. Have you tried printing your design on paper and cutting it out? I do this for tarp designs. It's very helpful. If the paper is too stiff, transfer your design to fabric, and model it that way. Tape or a glue stick should hold things well enough to see a 3D model.

When you join the two center chambers, based on your drawing, it looks to me like they might hang down like the keel on a boat. I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I think your method may end up making more of an envelope than a bathtub.

Keep us informed.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post

I think I have seen something similar to this somewhere but I am drawing a blank.
    perhaps your thinking of this one? http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=diyrections

it is the same basic concept that you have only i don't think that it would work all that well as a baffled design using down. works very well with synthetics.

personal observation here, have made two uq's of this design one out of a poncho liner and used full length channels running down the length of it then ran shock cord through them and the other was made with 5oz climashield with loops on each of the four corners. shock cord can be heavy and with a full length quilt that is 'bathtub' shaped i didn't need to be able to slide it from head to toe and if slid too far didn't seem to fit right. the one with just loops on the corners took a fair bit of adjustment ( suspension lengths head / foot end ) but once dialed in designated one end as the 'head' end and haven't had a problem since. if you are planning to made a partial quilt you might want to make the 'foot' end with a wider arc than the 'head' end for a proper fit and comfort.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    from the looks of it ,it looks like a darted UQ ... but with alot more work
    the Molly mac gear UQ's use the same idea to create a bathtub shape
    i think Hammockgear does the same thing as well but not to the point of creating a bathtub shape
    that and your going to have a problem with the seams in the middle(the darts)
    you might get cold spots from the seams unless you intergrade the channels into the design and at this point it would be a darted UQ but with more work
    this is what i take from your layout ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Your 'final' shape/design reminded me of the first down under quilt that I ever saw. It was made by a Canadian from Ontario trail name CanoeBlue. This was before underquilts were available commercially.
    Go here to see it, scroll down to number 2.
    http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock7.html
    At that time I was using a synthetic Golite top quilt slightly modified for use as an underquilt---just could see me trying to stuff down into channels! I remember contacting CanoeBlue and trying to buy that underquilt-he told me to make my own!

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Have you tried printing your design on paper and cutting it out? I do this for tarp designs. It's very helpful. If the paper is too stiff, transfer your design to fabric, and model it that way. Tape or a glue stick should hold things well enough to see a 3D model.
    I do this as well - works great for looking at things small scale, even worked when designing my UQ. When going to large scale I prefer thin painters plastic sheets and tape - really cheap and easy to mock up a full scale version.

Personally I see more of a canoe shape being the likely end result. Seems like one big dart vs many small ones, where a larger dart would produce a more severe angle and many small ones a curve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast