BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Questions on Clark vs JRB BMBH

I have been looking at the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock for some time now. The flat lay and the bottom sleeve being two of the attractive points for me as I am a side sleeper. However, as I have just recently been looking at an alternative, I came across the Clark NX-150. The weather shield looks as if it helps with holding in heat in the colder months.

My questions are:

1 - Does the weather shield create any condensation issues when zipped up in the winter months?

2 - If I use my Big Agnes insulated pad inside the hammock, can I achieve a side sleep?

3 - Does anyone know where someone could rent different hammocks to try them before committing to a purchase?

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    The condensation wicks through the weather shield.

I could sleep on my side in my NX-250 without a pad.

I generally buy used hammocks on here and try them out and resell it if I don't like it. That way I'm only out the shipping which amounts to renting it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It sounds like the NX-250 is a bit wider and would accommodate my Big Agnes pad? The reason I ask is that I would normally pack my pad just in case I wanted to use it in a shelter. I am thinking the pad inside the hammock would add some warmth and help lay it out for a flatter lay. I just do not know how that would affect the tipping factor.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    The NX-250 is 3 inches wider and almost a foot longer. I sent you a PM too. If you are looking for a 250 I have a brand new Camouflage one for sale on here.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    When it comes to comparing the two, they aren't at all the same. The BMBH is super flat and real tight around your shoulders and legs. You lay just like you were in a casket. The Clark isn't tight anywhere. You can roll around in and lay slightly diagonal either way. When I say Clark I can only vouch for the NX-250 since that's what both my Clark's have been.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I sent you a PM response.

I saw a review on the BMBH on you-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpArS1Xwbb0

His pad actually spread out the bottom of his hammock. I am thinking the same with the Clark NX-250. What attacks me to the Clark is the WeatherShield. Since I do a lot of winter trips on the AT in VA, there is fog and wind involved that may get up under the tarp and rob needed heat. The extra protection fo the WS looks attractive. I am hoping that with my insulated pad inside the Clark (that takes me down to 15F), it will give me the extra I need to keep the bottom warm.

I plan on using my normal Marmot down bag for a top quilt/blanket. What do you think?

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    The pad will work fine, just don't blow it all the way up. The weather shield is the biggest draw for me too. I also don't like laying crazy diagonal. My coworker Loose_nut who also has an NX-250 used his at LeConte a couple off weeks ago and was fine in the 20s with no long johns on. I chickened out an stayed in the shelter lol

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    fullcount:
    I have the NX-200, 250 - poles, and when I first got started I used the longest and widest pad that REI brands and sells. My first outing in the CJH turned out to be a real test of my gear. The weather was supposed to be mild and possibly some rain overnight, well it turned out that the temps dropped below freezing and it snowed almost three inches. You may say three inches, well for Alabama that is a catastauphic event that closes most everything down. I made it through the night with only a 50 degree bag, the pad and a fleece jacket. I can highly recommend the CJH line of hammocks and will tell you that the weather shield does a great drop of trapping heat in. There was a little condensation during the evening but nothing to the point that it was dripping back down on my face. Send me a pm if you would like to try the CJH I own.........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    fullcount:
    I have the NX-200, 250 - poles, and when I first got started I used the longest and widest pad that REI brands and sells. My first outing in the CJH turned out to be a real test of my gear. The weather was supposed to be mild and possibly some rain overnight, well it turned out that the temps dropped below freezing and it snowed almost three inches. You may say three inches, well for Alabama that is a catastauphic event that closes most everything down. I made it through the night with only a 50 degree bag, the pad and a fleece jacket. I can highly recommend the CJH line of hammocks and will tell you that the weather shield does a great drop of trapping heat in. There was a little condensation during the evening but nothing to the point that it was dripping back down on my face. Send me a pm if you would like to try the CJH I own.........
    I remember that trip, BBG! Yeah, baby! That was my 1st night in the JRB bridge with an MW.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    If it is dry and cold I unzip the weathershield and screen to drop the zipper pulls to where they start to run horizontally, and fold back that first foot of shield.

That leave me with a light nylonDWR blanket and wind-proof layer laying on top of the top quilt.

On this foggy night I'll likely set up with just one corner of the weather shield, near my face, open to the wind because the available trees are dropping wet leaves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast