BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks

Do ALL Tarp - WL OMW vs WB SF vs ??

I'm pretty new around here and I've been reading a lot of threads, but I have some questions. I am 5'6" and 150 pounds and I'm planning on getting a Warbonnet Blackbird for overall comfort. I'll post a different thread in the hammocks section with my questions on fabrics.
    I'm planning on winter camping with a sleeping bag for now and I'm going to use the tarp that I buy for summer camping as well. I want a relatively lightweight and affordable tarp that offers full coverage and attached doors. If I want a smaller tarp later, I can make one because they're simpler. For now, I want a tarp that does everything - on a budget.
    Here's what I'm considering: the Warbonnet Superfly (which I can save on shipping plus get a $10 rebate when I buy the Blackbird as well) or the Wilderness Logics Oldman Winter. I've heard great things about both tarps and I'm not on a time crunch as I'm still saving money.
    Will both tarps cover my WBBB while the doors are drawn tight in the winter? If I get the OMW, should I get the longer ridge line? Is there another tarp that is clearly better than either of these two? If not, I'll stick with these two.
    Also, I welcome any comments on color. I'd rather be stealth in the summer, as there are rarely any people smart enough to be in the woods in the snow. Are some colors uncomfortable in the heat of summer?
    Thanks in advance for your patience with my shower of questions.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Both tarps will do great, though I have no experience using the OMW. You could also consider the 4 season OES tarp. All tarps are huge.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    No experience with the WB tarp, but the OMW will certainly cover the BB with the doors pitched closed. You may want to look at the WL Lite Owl as well. Is does not have an integrated bug net but it is uber comfortable.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Colors?
    Solar heat is seldom an issue, since most sleep time is at night. Obviously black will absorb more heat, science class taught us that. But its negligible, IMO.
    Clearer colors (grey, yellow, white, etc.) have a shadow effect at night when the interior of the tarp is illuminated. This could be a privacy issue when changing clothes, especially in a mixed crowd hang. Dark colors tend to be less "shadowy".

Bright colors are clearly visible in the woods. Blue, orange, red, white (except in snow), etc.. So, if safety is a factor, these colors are a good choice.
    Stealthier colors blend with the woods. Brown, green, camo, etc., tend to be a popular choice with folks who don't want to stand out.

Pitching the tarp wide and open will block the suns rays during the day, providing ample shade and allow for ventilation. Many folks like porch mode (one side propped up on hiking poles or adjacent trees or long trail sticks), this allows for easy access in and out of the tarp during the day. Then pull the sides down for privacy or at night or bad weather.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love my Camo Superfly and can not see using anything else in any weather condition.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL/Nano 7/Nite Owl
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Trunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb986 View Post
    I love my Camo Superfly and can not see using anything else in any weather condition.

What he said!! I absolutely LOVE my camo Superfly

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I must say that this is the best forum that I've found on any topic.

exup: I want a tarp with doors that I can shut all the way, and for a weight to coverage ratio, I like the other two better.

opie: MN summers are too buggy not to have a built in net. This was my personal opinion because I knew I would need it in the summer and I pull a pulk in the winter, so the extra ounces don't matter.

I had to look up the camo Superfly on Google and those pics look sweet! If I go with the Superfly I will definitely go with camo, and that may be enough reason by itself to go with that tarp.

I'd love more input if anyone has anything to add!

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here is a pic from the inside of my camo superfly, you can see how well the doors do close.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, it was hard to take the photo with my phone.

Images
    Are you backpacking or car camping. Is weight an issue in your decision?

A wbbb is covered well with an 11' ridgeline. In winter 4' sides cover well.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    I will be backpacking and bikepacking in the summer. I know these large tarps are heavy but I want the extra coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast