Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock

Gear trend predictions or things you would like to see.

I wonder when someone will make a hammock with a proprietary attached down under quilt, in the process eliminating fitting issues and the need for UQ suspension?

What about a hammock specific tarp, with a zip or velcro door right in front where it should be?

I wonder in 10 years what hammock suspension will look like? maybe adjusting the suspension while sitting in the hammock with some fancy mechanical buckle.

And a general rant thrown in,....Hennessy for example which I like, has barely noticed a need for insulation. I can't believe the majority of people buying hammocks are in tropical climates.
    I've only been hanging for a year, but I see the market ideas totally driven by Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, Jacks R Better etc, this forum, and Shug.
    The big companies better get it together, IMO there are too many hammock makers doing the same thing, and very few making accessories.

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    IMO there are too many hammock makers doing the same thing, and very few making accessories.
    I totally agree. The problem is finding a new niche, as Dutch has done, or inventing a new product all together. I bet it is safe to say that anyone that has made something for themselves or has even though about it has salavated over the idea of becoming a cottage producer.

I enjoy variety. It kinda bothers me when someone else comes out offering the same thing as someone else with no differences. It doesn't seem that hard to at least offer a new fabric option or something. My final thought when contemplating producing something to sell is if it doesn't improve or add variety to the market, solve a problem that hasn't been solved yet or fill in a niche that has yet to be filled I don't think I will run with the idea. totally my own thought but figured it might be worth sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Fabrics will likely be a place for big innovation - lighter and stronger and even insulation value. Maybe a true couples or family hammock.

Beyond that, the diy types will keep tinkering because they can and I'm sure something unique will arise.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most "new" products are slight improvements on an existing product. When a radically new product comes along (think cell phones for an example), inviduals and companies keep making small improvements on a regualr basis as new technology, new manufacturing process, new ideas ect become available.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The only BIG (game changing) innovations left to happen in hammocking to be the perfecting of the side suspended and vertical hanging hammocks and the multi-person hammocks.

Beyond those major break throughs innovation will most likely be the small things such as materials, cordage, and hardware. Of course it could just be that I don't the imagination to foresee what is needed without it already existing.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    So, if a maker used a UQ as the bottom of the hammock, they would need to produce many different lofts, like sleeping bags today, so we could adjust them for how we each sleep. Tent makers do not need to do that, but as a weight saving device, I can see how a DIYer might do this. Most of us use multiple set ups for different temps, so we would need multiple hammocks, instead of just multiple insulation set ups. As helpful as it might be for those who only camp in a single condition, I do not see this taking off.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    As far as a insulated hammock DPhammockgear is working on one. Scroll down to the 'dp "Heeter Hybrid" Hammock' on their website.

They recently ran quick a special to get started on them.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Almost forgot,...Top Quilts will someday have a pad pocket in the footbox.
    Last edited by Caribou Bentspoke; 11-06-2011 at 16:27. Reason: brain fade

Images
    i look at some of the dates yous joined. in 2007 i remember when straps and rings were the thing. i quit upgrading and decided to start getting out more. at 5 lb for 0 degrees, i'm fine. even if they invent a way to cut a pound i'll just hike for 5 days not 6
    in those days a thread would run for a month and get to 40 posts and we were thrilled.
    soda can stoves were a big hit and bread was 17 cents a loaf.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I'd like to see integrated insulation systems, with a large pocket built into the bottom of a hammock and modular insulation pods-- like a full-length version of the Clark system. The user could vary insulation to suit the season and climate. Underquilts are so "tacked together."

Other than that, lighter and less expensive works for me. Dehydrated Scotch would be a fantastic innovation

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast