Reversed webbing and tri-glide suspension

Hi all. I've been reading HF forums for a few months now off and on and have learned a ton. Thanks to everyone for that.

Here's my question. I'm basically using this kind of hammock suspension: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm

However, to eliminate the need to rethread the strap around the tree and through the tri-glide (once for each end of the hammock), I kinda set it up backwards relative to the JBR setup. On the tree side, I have the webbing go through a loop at the end of the webbing. On the hammock side, I clip a biner to the loop created by the tri-glide and adjust from there. That way, it's easy to adjust and because I have a biner on the hammock, no knots.

I've only slept in this setup one night and I did get some stretch from the polypro. It's possible that the strap/tri-glide slipped, I'm not sure, but I do expect the polypro to stretch at first, of course.

I haven't seen much mention of this kind of reversed setup but it seems like it would be much easier than what is described at the JBR link above. So I guess I'm wondering if there's some major disadvantage or risk. Or maybe everyone's just using whoopie slings. :-) Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    What you describe is just fine, and is IMHO easier to deal with than rethreading the triglide every time you hang. You trade a bit of extra weight---a hanging rated biner will be at least 3/4 oz and you've got two of them---for not rethreading the triglide. Better yet, use a soft shackle instead of a biner. Or run the webbing loop through a permanent fixed cord loop attached to the end of the hammock (the cord loop replacing your biner), run a soft shackle through the sewn-in loop in the webbing and connect it to the other side of the webbing (replacing passing the webbing through that loop).

There are lots of ways of taking advantage of the adjustability of the tri-glides without having to rethread them every time.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockmatt View Post
    Hi all. I've been reading HF forums for a few months now off and on and have learned a ton. Thanks to everyone for that.

Here's my question. I'm basically using this kind of hammock suspension: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm

However, to eliminate the need to rethread the strap around the tree and through the tri-glide (once for each end of the hammock), I kinda set it up backwards relative to the JBR setup. On the tree side, I have the webbing go through a loop at the end of the webbing. On the hammock side, I clip a biner to the loop created by the tri-glide and adjust from there. That way, it's easy to adjust and because I have a biner on the hammock, no knots.

I've only slept in this setup one night and I did get some stretch from the polypro. It's possible that the strap/tri-glide slipped, I'm not sure, but I do expect the polypro to stretch at first, of course.

I haven't seen much mention of this kind of reversed setup but it seems like it would be much easier than what is described at the JBR link above. So I guess I'm wondering if there's some major disadvantage or risk. Or maybe everyone's just using whoopie slings. :-) Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt
    That seems like it should work fine. The only thing that I could see that might be an issue is that your webbing might slip occasionally.

I've had this happen to me with the trees in my front yard (one of which is leaning slightly away from the hammock, which--I'm fairly certain--is the cause of this) when I didn't cinch down the tri-glide to make a taut loop around the tree. Since your set-up precludes cinching the tri-glide down so that the loop is tight to the tree, this may happen (and probably already did, from your description).

Anyway, that's just my personal experience talking; it's entirely possible that the difference in height was caused by stretching of the webbing rather than slippage. I hope that your experiment goes well for you. It certainly would be nice to not have to thread the tri-glide every time I set up...

• + New Posts