Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images

Down FP vs Synthetic

I understand that Down is superior to synthetic for warmth to weight. I get that 900fp is better than 800 because it takes less down to create more loft (equates to less weight for the same insulation). My question is at what FP does the down stop being worth it compares to synthetic insulation?

For example, (and I'm just throwing numbers out), if I can make an UQ that weighs 30oz to get me down to 0* out of 600FP down, but I make an UQ that weighs roughly the same out of some synthetic. Then why not just use the synthetic if its cheaper and less susceptible to moisture (ignore the packability factor I guess).

So at what FP does down's weight to warmth ratio stop outperforming synthetic? Is it ALWAYS better to use down over synthetic even if all you have is a real low FP or even something with high feather count?

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Interesting question

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I have only ever seen 800, 850 and 900 FP used by vendors on this forum in there wares. 750 FP I did see with some DIY quilts and a little lower from some DIYer's that harvested from older gear. That being said, all my synthetic comparisons where made against the available 800 and 900 FP. Subsequently,even though I do have a synth set for really damp conditions (3 season), my primary setups are all down for weight and warmth considerations.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Generalizing a bit...But around 600 FP would be my general cut off for overall perfomacne benefits of down. That would of course take into account that the down is indeed down and not feathers...as they provide very little more than filler. At about 600 to equally rated quilts will have near the same bulk, weight would probably be close to the same if not favor the synthetic (depending on what kind) and cost (with the exception of harvesting from pillows or another low grade source--(again pointing back to feather content) will probably be close enough to not be much of a benefit to either. When you go up the FP scale to 750-800 and beyond, cost will go up faster on the down side but pack-ability and overall weight will be improving as you need less down.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Not disagreeing. As I recall 550 down was the standard for a long time back when. I think that is what Albany was comparing to when they developed Primaloft.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Not disagreeing. As I recall 550 down was the standard for a long time back when. I think that is what Albany was comparing to when they developed Primaloft.
    Question, What do the numbers mean eg 800fp 900fp ext when your taking about down???

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NT View Post
    Question, What do the numbers mean eg 800fp 900fp ext when your taking about down???
    The FP (Fill Power) represent how many cubic inches one ounce of down will fill in a cylinder when compressed by a weight. Its determined by scientifc measurement so that the better quality the down, the better it will stand up to the weight. I believe they use a 1 ounce weight in the cylinder.

Basically the higher the fill power the less down you need to fill the item being stuffed, which means less weight in the pack.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From Trailspace website...

Everything here comes from the IDFL website or emails exchange with down garments and sleeping bags manufacturers. I sent emails to manufacturers and some of them where very cooperative some not at all. But that's not the point here.

Fill power vs Fill volume :

Many people mistaken and believe that powerfill is defined as the volume occupied by 1 oz of down. It's not true. This is the loft or the fill volume.

So let's discuss the definition of fill power : it is the volume occupied by a down sample (usually 30 gr or 1 oz) subject to a certain pressure at a certain temperature (20 Celsius) and hygrometry (65%). This pressure is due to a mass that's put down the sample. The diameter of the mass equals the diameter of the cylinder where the sample sits. We'll call the compression cylinder.

Now what's the difference between US and EU powerfill :

US 2000 norm :

cylinder diameter : 241 mm
    -conditionning : steaming+3 to 5 days in a sreen box
    compression cylinder : non-mechanized cylonder of68,3 grams.
    Mass of the sample : 1 oz=28,4 grams.
    EN norm :

cynlinder diameter : 284mm,
    conditionning : tumble dry +2-5 days in a screen box
    compression cylinder : Lorch machine= mechanized cylinder weighing 94,25 grams,
    Mass of the sample :30 grams
    Now there is no exact conversion table between those two. But there exist some approximation. The usual one is that US FP=EU FP+50. Which is quite not true.

But there is an approximate conversion table for the cylinder used. Here we suppose that the methods of conditionning is tumble drying :

For down with a FP exceeding 700 cu in, there is an approximate difference of 4.3%. if it is between 600 and 700 cu in the difference is about 2.5 % and almost 0 for low quality down.

So a 800 EU FP down is about 840 US FP down.

Since 2005-2006 : the US norm started to use the steaming conditionning which (non artificially) improve the FP by about 50 cuin. So that's why 900 FP down suddenly appeared. Actually it's still a 850 US FP from before 2006 and manufacturer tried to trick us.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    From Trailspace website...
    Yeah, read that the other day. No suprise that standards aren't quite standard and allows wiggle room for marketing magic. So, it seems that EU fill power is better than US fill power. Does that mean when it's marketed as European Down at 800fp, that it's EU standard or US?

Either way, I bit the bullet and bought an 800fp down pillow off ebay w/ 18oz of down in it for $40! Here's hoping it's at least true 800fp and not 760 US FP.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Yeah, read that the other day. No suprise that standards aren't quite standard and allows wiggle room for marketing magic. So, it seems that EU fill power is better than US fill power. Does that mean when it's marketed as European Down at 800fp, that it's EU standard or US?

Either way, I bit the bullet and bought an 800fp down pillow off ebay w/ 18oz of down in it for $40! Here's hoping it's at least true 800fp and not 760 US FP.

Thanks for all the info guys!
    Down rocks in cold weather, but fill power is a lot of hype. My montbell jacket circa 2004 is full of feathers, its A joke.

Now its probably better down, Maybe.

I pulled some down from my montbell and compared it to the down I pulled out of a $150 target quilt and the target quilt is better. IMO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast